Thread: End of game
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa
Don't blow the whistle, you keep the count and blow the game over if the 8 sec. expire. Correct the time remaining only if a whistle is blown for a foul or violation before time expires. NFHS 5-10-2

posted by Juulie
I agree. ALso, I'd keep a count going with one arm so that everyone can see that I've been keeping track the whole time.

posted by BlackFox
I also agree. I've been in situations like yours and I just kept my count strong, firm and visible.
Well, I'm going to respectfully disagree, with a caveat. As soon as you notice that the clock has not started, kill the play and have the timer set the clock to the correct time. Here's the caveat -- do it only if you can blow the whistle before the offensive team has started attacking the basket.

People will be much less unhappy if you correct it immediately than if you "surprise" everyone by killing the game without a horn.

The case play cited above specifies that the official was unaware of the timer's error. The timer informs the official of the error. But if you know the error has occured, correct it as soon as is reasonable.

If you can't stop the play before the offensive team starts attacking the basket, then keep your count going. But if people don't notice that the clock is still stopped, they're not going to notice that you're swinging your arm.

Coach: "Why didn't you correct the clock?!?!?!"

Official: "B/c I was keeping the count myself. Didn't you see me swinging my arm?"

Coach: Unprintable.

Official: "Whack. Good-bye!"