Thread: End of game
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I guess I'd sort of assume they are attacking the basket as soon as they get their hands on the ball, even if that's back under the other basket. So in your procedure, do you give the ball back approximately at the point where it is, with whatever seconds you think they have remaining? Or do you go back under the other basket, and have a do-over with 8 seconds?
I had this exact scenario in a HS varsity game a couple seasons ago, except that there 10 seconds left. Don't assume anything. If they're not driving to the basket, or about to pass to the post, you can kill it. If you notice it while they're still in their own backcourt, so much the better. You may not have the chance to kill it; but 8 seconds is a long time (ask any rodeo bull rider) and they may take a couple seconds to set up a final shot.

As to where to put it in play. . . When we discussed the question of what happens when an inbounder fails to step OOB after a basket, I believe that I made my feelings about "do-overs" very clear. No do-over. You award the ball at the closest spot to where it was when you blew the whistle to fix the clock.

As always, just my opinion, for whatever you think it's worth.