The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Red face

Last night at an elementary summer league game, I was lead and A1 had the ball. A2 comes up from behind her and pushes her so my reflexes blow the whistle and call a foul the say she is on the same team? What would you do in this situation?
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
"MY ERROR!! Inadvertant whistle, A's ball. Here we go, ball is in!"
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Exactly what I would do. You really don't have many options here. Unless you plan to give the foul against her teammate, I'm sure the coach wouldn't be too happy.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

These situations are the worst, but my take on it is that we, as the official who screwed up put way to weight on the issue. I try to defuse these situations with humour, a little joke tends to lighten the mood. In more serious games, I just rule with an inadvertant whistle. It's all you can do. Chances are that most people won't even remember you messed up. I know that I overly dwell on situations like this, and it tends to affect my game, because instead of watching, my mind keeps going over the situation i screwed up on. So my advice, move on and don't dwell.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts exactly. Also, situations like this teach you to have a more patient whistle so that you call what you see rather than what you think you see. That, in turn, makes you a better official.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Last night at an elementary summer league game, I was lead and A1 had the ball. A2 comes up from behind her and pushes her so my reflexes blow the whistle and call a foul the say she is on the same team? What would you do in this situation?
If the push didn't cause a travel, then I'm with everyone else. PS No matter how awful a mistake you pull, there's always someone here who's done something worse. Dont sweat the little stuff. Learn from the big stuff. Remember this the next time a partner pulls a bone-head move!
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I once worked with a partner who made a mistake and yelled out, "Sorry, Referee Stupidity, Blue Ball!!!" Everyone in the gym had a good laugh over that one.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Travel?

If not, it's an elementary school summer game. 'Fess up to the accidental whistle, and play on. Trust me - the coaches have seen enough of this crazy stuff.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:28pm
We don't rent pigs

color blind......not

Years ago, men's independent tournament, early in the game I called a pushing foul on the rebound. Blue 14, push, white out of bounds, no big deal. I noticed several of the guys in blue frowning, mumbling to each other, etc. Finally several minutes later during a timeout, I asked one of the guys what the deal was about the call. I was told,
"Yeah, he pushed, but that was his teammate that he pushed."
My little light bulb slowly came on. Oh, I get it. All these guys did have on blue, but there were at least 3 different shades of blue. Oops, my bad. Next time somebody tell me!

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:33pm
Administrator

Quote:

Did A2's contact cause A1 to travel? If it did, you did not have an inadvertent whistle, you had traveling by A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Did A2's contact cause A1 to travel? If it did, you did not have an inadvertent whistle, you had traveling by A1.

MTD, Sr.
Am I missing something here? The whistle was for a foul (according to Brandan), as a result wouldn't the ball became dead at that point and thus you couldn't have a travel?

Seems to me that ref18's two comments "hit the nail on the head".

[Edited by ref20 on Jul 22nd, 2004 at 08:14 AM]
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by me -- Chuck Elias
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
"Sorry, Referee Stupidity, Blue Ball!!!"
Ref18, isn't that pretty much exactly what I already said? I guess I said it in Referee-language, and you put it into layman's terms!
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ref18, isn't that pretty much exactly what I already said?
Here we go again!.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ref18, isn't that pretty much exactly what I already said?
Here we go again!.
Hey, you'd be grumpy too if they wouldn't let you go on the Space Mountain ride at DisneyWorld because you weren't tall enough.

Chuck had a bad day yesterday.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Brandan I don't think you made an A*% of yourself at all and I don't think the coaches and the other official thought that either. I am in my first year also and have blown an inadvertant whistle twice in the past year, once with the exact same situation you had and another time on an outlet pass when the rebounder had established the pivot, picked it up and tweet I blew the whistle and didn't wait to see if the pivot was placed back on the ground. I was anticipating the travel instead of actually seeing it. On both calls all I did was say inadvertant whistle, talked to my partner to explain and continued on with the game. Neither time did the coaches complain, but both times asked what happened on the next dead ball (both were Freshman games) and were satisfied with my response. Everyone makes mistakes and most coaches know that.