View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ref20
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Last night at an elementary summer league game, I was lead and A1 had the ball. A2 comes up from behind her and pushes her so my reflexes blow the whistle and call a foul the say she is on the same team? What would you do in this situation?

Did A2's contact cause A1 to travel? If it did, you did not have an inadvertent whistle, you had traveling by A1.

MTD, Sr.
Am I missing something here? The whistle was for a foul (according to Brandan), as a result wouldn't the ball became dead at that point and thus you couldn't have a travel?

Seems to me that ref18's two comments "hit the nail on the head".

[Edited by ref20 on Jul 22nd, 2004 at 08:14 AM]

Even though Brandan may have been blowing his whistle for a percieved foul by A2, A2 did not commit a foul, but very well may have caused A1 to travel. If A2's contact with A1 did not cause A1 to travel then Brandan's whistle did cause the ball to become dead and Team A gets the ball for a designated throw-in nearest the spot of the ball, due to Brandan's inadvertant whistle. But if A2 did indeed cause A1 to travel then the ball became dead when A1 traveled and Team B would get the ball for a designated throw-in nearest the spot of A1 violation.

The point is that Brandan's "inadvertant" whistle would have sounded after any possible violation by A1 and if A1 did indeed travel then that violation can be penalized.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio