View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
Just finished up the third of four camps I will attend this summer. In all of my camp situations crews have been assigned by number and it could be two veterans and one rookie or two rookies and one veteran.

I am finding out more and more that my game is affected by my partners strengths and weaknesses. With two strong officials, I am strong too, but with two weaker officials, MY game seems to become weaker.

I have also noticed this during the past seasons when working a lot of two man mechanics. I believe the reason is trying to cover more of the floor to compensate for an official I believe is weaker.

How do some of you "step it up" when working with a perceived weaker or newer official?
I try not to never take over, I'll go get it if I have to, but I'm not expanding my primary and calling all over the floor.

I try to focus on all the little things and work at being a great partner. I focus on my mechanics and not their's. If I'm strong but not overbearing their game will rise, but if I lose focus, my game drops and the game goes in the toilet.