View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
How do some of you "step it up" when working with a perceived weaker or newer official?
I'm in the same place you are, sometimes the weakest (most times!) and sometimes the strongest. When I see that I need to step up, there is one person here in our association who I try to keep in mind and do it like they do. Not too much interference, not too stand-offish, but just the right amount of authority and "presence". You can think if a time when you were maybe in a little over your head with a good partner, or partners, and remember their overall attitude, and general authority.

Sometimes you can ask what someone is working on, or what they have questions about. And you should always ask if they want advice before you give any. Remember the times your superior partners rode over you roughshod and don't do that to anyone else.

I've been told that when one is the brand new person, one shouldn't explain that one doesn't have much experience. Just get in there and do your best. I disagree to some extent with that, but it's definitely true at the other end. If you're clearly the strongest one there on the floor, you SHOULD NOT tell the partner, gee, I've never been the R before, or, I've only got two years experience. Just keep your chin up, think slowly and clearly, and hand'e things with firm confidence -- however artificial.

Then go home and e-mail someone, or post questions here on this board. That makes sure you'll do even better next time.