The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Designated spot throw ins (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1466-designated-spot-throw-ins.html)

Art N Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:37pm

Someone correct me if am wrong please...
A1 is throwing in from a designated spot. He moves his feet (shuffles, jumps...) but has one foot with in the 3 foot area of the throw in.
This IS NOT A violation, CORRECT? I have seen a couple of varsity officials blow this call. One was in a State tourney game last year!

bob jenkins Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Art N
Someone correct me if am wrong please...
A1 is throwing in from a designated spot. He moves his feet (shuffles, jumps...) but has one foot with in the 3 foot area of the throw in.
This IS NOT A violation, CORRECT? I have seen a couple of varsity officials blow this call. One was in a State tourney game last year!

Correct. No violation.

BigDave Sun Jan 14, 2001 02:06am

As long as the thrower keeps one foot over the spot, no violation. He/she is also allowed to go back as far as the gym allows. All the way to the wall, if they choose.

hoopsrefBC Sun Jan 14, 2001 03:10am

Now i have a query...

Is there a limit to the distance that a player can go back?

What if you were working on a court that had 20 or more feet of room on the baseline. I don't know why any player would do this, however i've always wonder..

My best guess is that if there arn't any walls the restriction would be the edge of the court? Usally about six feet off the baseline?

Are there any big time officials that have worked tournaments in university or college gyms what are the guildlines if any.

thanks

SH
keep smiling

co2ice Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:48am

Hoopsref: as bigdave indicated there is no limit how far one can backup, but for the life of me I don't know why any one would go more than a step or two, unless he/she thinks they are going to confuse the defense. But they only have 5 seconds to throw it in.

mick Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by BigDave
As long as the thrower keeps one foot over the spot, no violation. He/she is also allowed to go back as far as the gym allows. All the way to the wall, if they choose.
And on the floor. ;)

MattRef Sun Jan 14, 2001 07:23pm

Mick, do I understand you correctly in your last post to this question that they have to stay on the playing floor, but can go back as far as they want from the designated spot for OOB? I am just trying to understand this as well. Thanks!
Matt

mick Sun Jan 14, 2001 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MattRef
Mick, do I understand you correctly in your last post to this question that they have to stay on the playing floor, but can go back as far as they want from the designated spot for OOB? I am just trying to understand this as well. Thanks!
Matt

Matt,
Yes, that is what I meant to say.
I suppose in some places, with multiple courts in use, there could be some varying "court rules".
mick

Art N Sun Jan 14, 2001 08:17pm

And on the floor. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Mick, You don't mean the thrower has to keep a foot on the floor, do you? I beleive they can jump and throw if needed. That may also be a reason to back a ways if you a tall defender on the throw in.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 14, 2001 09:13pm

Art,

mick means that the thrower can't stand on the bleachers or any other type of structure. He must remain on the floor.

Tony

mick Sun Jan 14, 2001 09:13pm

I'm sorry

Quote:

Originally posted by Art N

And on the floor. ;)

Mick, You don't mean the thrower has to keep a foot on the floor, do you? I beleive they can jump and throw if needed. That may also be a reason to back a ways if you a tall defender on the throw in. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes Art, I did, by golly, say on the floor.
I should have said on, or over, the floor. The point I tried to make, and obviously kicked, was that as long as there is unobstructed floor, no bleachers, chairs ladders, walls, fire trucks, the thrower could go back to that area.
Sorry. Thanks. ;)
mick

mick Sun Jan 14, 2001 09:17pm

on

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Turn your AIM on mick!
yup

ScottParks Mon Jan 15, 2001 08:47am

Rule Book citing

Can someone point me to the rule(s) that cover this. I have two questions about it: (1) What is the proper call and signal for a violation of the spot throw in? (2) What constitutes a violation of the throw in spot?

I guess I don't understand the 3 feet rule for NFHS.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 15, 2001 10:58am

Re: Rule Book citing

Quote:

Originally posted by parkssa
Can someone point me to the rule(s) that cover this. I have two questions about it: (1) What is the proper call and signal for a violation of the spot throw in? (2) What constitutes a violation of the throw in spot?

I guess I don't understand the 3 feet rule for NFHS.

(1) Raise hand - Whistle - Point to the spot - Verbalize if you wish.
(2) If the player moves off the 3 foot wide spot prior to releasing the ball.

7-6-2
The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

A1 is out of bounds for a designated-spot throw-in. The administering official has designated the spot and put the ball at A1's disposal. In order to avoid some of the defensive pressure near the throw-in spot, A1 takes several steps directly backward, but keeps one foot on or over the designated area prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in pass.

Ruling: Legal throw-in. It is permissible for the thrower to move backward or forward within the 3-foot-wide designated area without violating and he/she may move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the ball is released. The thrower may also jump vertically and pass from the designated throw-in spot.

Comment: Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.

ScottParks Tue Jan 16, 2001 08:29am

Thanks

Thanks BktBallRef. Y'all are a great help to a newer official.