View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Rule Book citing

Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
Can someone point me to the rule(s) that cover this. I have two questions about it: (1) What is the proper call and signal for a violation of the spot throw in? (2) What constitutes a violation of the throw in spot?

I guess I don't understand the 3 feet rule for NFHS.
(1) Raise hand - Whistle - Point to the spot - Verbalize if you wish.
(2) If the player moves off the 3 foot wide spot prior to releasing the ball.

7-6-2
The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

A1 is out of bounds for a designated-spot throw-in. The administering official has designated the spot and put the ball at A1's disposal. In order to avoid some of the defensive pressure near the throw-in spot, A1 takes several steps directly backward, but keeps one foot on or over the designated area prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in pass.

Ruling: Legal throw-in. It is permissible for the thrower to move backward or forward within the 3-foot-wide designated area without violating and he/she may move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the ball is released. The thrower may also jump vertically and pass from the designated throw-in spot.

Comment: Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.