Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Making a lot of friends today, eh Chuck!?!
Jeez, show a softer side of yourself for one day, and it's like blood in the water. Forget I ever mentioned any of it. In fact, you know what? It is unforgiveable. The guy should never be allowed to coach again! In fact, he should never be allowed around children again! And another thing. Officials who disagree with other officials are A-holes!! Yeah, in fact, all officials are A-holes! That's right, officials shouldn't be allowed around children either!!

Everybody happy now? Forget it. I'll leave the "toning down" lectures to Juulie.
If it makes you feel any better, Chuck, you're short too.
Hey JR, being short isn't all that bad....you can get into places at kid's prices.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Never said there was anything wrong with disagreeing, just yelling at refs when you do disagree.
Once again -- and for the last time -- here's your actual original quote:

Quote:
It is unacceptable to pulicly disagree with a fellow official. Anyone who does that is a total ******* (emphasis mine)
This was my only point. Disagreeing does not make one an a-hole. I think we agree on that. I just thought you could've said it a little more calmly. Now I really am done.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have a slightly different opinion here. In a game with a lack of sportsmanship and class like there was in this game, tempers can get the best of everyone, it obviously angered coach A. I think this could be one of those rare times when the official brings both coaches together to try to reach some sort of an understanding on how to finish the last few minutes of the game with sportsmanship and class. If it is apparant that neither can, then it would be the perfect time to get the coaches to agree to shorten the length of the last period and end the game right there to end any chance of someone losing their temper and doing something stupid. The outcome's already decided and both coaches have made their points, if the game's gonna become an ego war, just end it and move on.

Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 06:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Disagreeing does not make one an a-hole. I think we agree on that.

[/B][/QUOTE]Well, I don't want to be an a-hole, so I'll disagree. Does that mean that agreeing makes one an a-hole?
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 07:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I have a slightly different opinion here. In a game with a lack of sportsmanship and class like there was in this game, tempers can get the best of everyone, it obviously angered coach A. I think this could be one of those rare times when the official brings both coaches together to try to reach some sort of an understanding on how to finish the last few minutes of the game with sportsmanship and class. If it is apparant that neither can, then it would be the perfect time to get the coaches to agree to shorten the length of the last period and end the game right there to end any chance of someone losing their temper and doing something stupid. The outcome's already decided and both coaches have made their points, if the game's gonna become an ego war, just end it and move on.

Disagree.

It's not our job to tell anybody how to coach their team. Our job is to just neutrally call what happens, without passing our personal moral judgement on anybody.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]Disagree.

It's not our job to tell anybody how to coach their team. Our job is to just neutrally call what happens, without passing our personal moral judgement on anybody. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you there, but there are times when minor irritants can flare up, and I think this is a chance to nip a possible incident in the bud. Both teams clearly don't want to play under the conditions that developed, so if neither coach wants to change the conditions, ballgame. No need to finish the game under such animousity, especially with the outcome already decided.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Jeez, show a softer side of yourself for one day, and it's like blood in the water. Forget I ever mentioned any of it. In fact, you know what? It is unforgiveable. The guy should never be allowed to coach again! In fact, he should never be allowed around children again! And another thing. Officials who disagree with other officials are A-holes!! Yeah, in fact, all officials are A-holes! That's right, officials shouldn't be allowed around children either!!

Everybody happy now? Forget it. I'll leave the "toning down" lectures to Juulie.
Im not in a particularly "toning down" mood today, so you guys can just stew in your own juices. So there.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Disagree.

It's not our job to tell anybody how to coach their team. Our job is to just neutrally call what happens, without passing our personal moral judgement on anybody.
I agree.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Disagree.

It's not our job to tell anybody how to coach their team. Our job is to just neutrally call what happens, without passing our personal moral judgement on anybody. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you there, but there are times when minor irritants can flare up, and I think this is a chance to nip a possible incident in the bud. Both teams clearly don't want to play under the conditions that developed, so if neither coach wants to change the conditions, ballgame. No need to finish the game under such animousity, especially with the outcome already decided. [/B][/QUOTE]I think that the actual response made by one of the original refs was pretty much dead on. He just didn't really have a rule available to him that he can use, unless he wants to get into the "travesty of the game" thingy- so there's not much he could do. There's no rule prohibiting a team from pressing, and there also isn't a rule that says that you can't commit a deliberate turnover. You certainly can get the coaches together and tell them that you don't want them trash-talking each other, and you also can nail them real quick if they try to do so. Other than that, I think that your best course of action is just to make sure that you call what you have to, keep a lid on everything and get the game over asap. Then write it up, and let the league worry about it. It should be their problem, not your's, anyway. Jmo.
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Im not in a particularly "toning down" mood today, so you guys can just stew in your own juices. So there.
Chuck, even Juulie won't save your butt. What does that tell you?
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Uhmmm...what's the question?

Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Disagree.

I agree with you there, but there are times when minor irritants can flare up, and I think this is a chance to nip a possible incident in the bud. Both teams clearly don't want to play under the conditions that developed, so if neither coach wants to change the conditions, ballgame. No need to finish the game under such animousity, especially with the outcome already decided. [/B][/QUOTE]I think that the actual response made by one of the original refs was pretty much dead on. He just didn't really have a rule available to him that he can use, unless he wants to get into the "travesty of the game" thingy- so there's not much he could do. There's no rule prohibiting a team from pressing, and there also isn't a rule that says that you can't commit a deliberate turnover. You certainly can get the coaches together and tell them that you don't want them trash-talking each other, and you also can nail them real quick if they try to do so. Other than that, I think that your best course of action is just to make sure that you call what you have to, keep a lid on everything and get the game over asap. Then write it up, and let the league worry about it. It should be their problem, not your's, anyway. Jmo. [/B][/QUOTE]

Jurassic, I basically agree with you on most of the points, and obviously I wasn't there. As an official it's not my business how anyone wants to coach their team, but it is my business to manage the game. In this case a team has basically quit playing by giving up the ball to protest the other team's press, which, thus, prevents the other team from working on its presses. Nothing can be gained by either team in this situation, and the game could further degenerate easily with a hard foul here or there or a confrontation between the coaches. I'm not suggesting forfeiting the game, but rather conferring with the coaches and discussing shortening the length of the quarter as per Rule 5.5.3. At least doing so would address a situation which I feel shouldn't be ignored, but again jmo.