View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 10, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I think that's all you can do, Juulie. I mean, what else could you do? I don't think a T for "travesty" is a good move here. The losing coach was making his point in a legal way, how can you penalize him for it?

... but the point is, if you want to give your opponent the ball, how -- by rule -- can the ref stop you?
I agree with you, Chuck, and I can't think of anything I'd have done differently from the refs who were there. It's just an interesting situation to think about.

The other factor in the whole thing is that this was a huge tournament with a lot of teams from all over the place and a very high level of play. Anyone in that tourney should have expected the possibility of getting blown out of the water. I think the winning coach was being a little obnoxious by leaving the press on, but I don't think it was really a huge sportsmanship issue. The losing team was an all-star team in an all-star tournament, and should have expected the possibility of not being the best team there.

To me, it would have been different if it had been a local rec league with lots of players who were in it for the exercise, and one classics team playing down. But in those situations, there is often a no-press rule, anyway.

I still think Coach A was a jerk.