Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Admittedly I'm guessing - and so are you of course - but right off the bat I would have to disagree with this, unless you confine your definition of an athlete to some sports like football, basketball and maybe some track events. I bet the ncaa keeps these statistics somewhere though.
Well basketball and football are near the top of the most played sports in America. The NF has listed that information every year, not sure it is on their website.
Still, the majority of players across all levels (NCAA, HS, and Pros) track the demographics of the country. This is true even in basketball unless you limit it to only NCAA Div. 1 and NBA and then only by a very small margin. In HS, the player will largely reflect their communities.

Quote:

Quote:
Explains why you see more hockey players than water polo players coming out of the northeast and Canada than in Arizona & Southern California.
This also explains why many pro basketball athletes come from Chicago, New York or Philly as well. And many other pro football players come from Dallas, Miami or the many other communities that have a great deal of African-Americans.
Peace [/B]
Larger percentages of athletes of any sport will come from the large cities (except maybe calf roping). It's simply statistics. When you have 3 million people in a city, you're much more likely to have 10 physically talented people than the entire state of Nebraska (substitute any lightly populated state). Additionally, with higher densities of talented players, it pushes the ones around them to compete at a higher level thus raising the bar. Race has nothing to do with that part of it (if even any part).
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This also explains why many pro basketball athletes come from Chicago, New York or Philly as well. And many other pro football players come from Dallas, Miami or the many other communities that have a great deal of African-Americans.
Like others have mentioned, I think location is more of an issue than race in many sports. Texas is 75% white, Florida is 78%. A tremendous amount of pro football players come from these areas because these are probably the strongest two states in the country in HS football.
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Talking Stay In Your Primary

It's nice to see officials stay in there primary!
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 09:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
So I suppose you're not including the french in this group hug. Right?
You mean that bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys? Hey - I refer to them in a geographical, not ethnic, context.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't find what Larry was saying offensive. I thought he rambled on a bit when he was talking about how he used to think that his game was getting disrespected when a white guy guarded him. That was kind of a weird... that he actually analyzed it that much. But since the interviewer had created a "black/white" conversation with his questions, I think all of them were just kind of thinking out loud and making it up as they went along.

I did disagree with his thinking that the NBA audience, being mainly white, needed a white superstar. Yes, I loved to watch Larry Bird when he played. However, I enjoyed watching Magic just as much (or more) and the highest interest I ever had for the NBA was when Michael Jordan was playing (his Chicago days only!). When I was a kid, I loved Dr. J, David Thompson and George Gervin. Come to think of it, Larry Bird may have been the only white player that I ever really followed at all.

Z
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

It makes no difference to me. I would not walk across the street to watch an NBA game. So I do not care what the color of the players are.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Demographics can be misleading

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Still, the majority of players across all levels (NCAA, HS, and Pros) track the demographics of the country. [/B]
If by this you mean that sports reflect the demographics of the entire country, then I have to disagree. The white population is still the majority and yet the majority of players in the NBA are black. If the NBA followed demographics we see a great deal more whites in professional basketball. That does not bother me. I believe that the best players make it and that in general happen to be the black players.

There's a push to get more black drivers into NASCAR to reflect the national demographics. I think its a mistake to insist that you have to have an equal representation. When you do, you make race the issue and not skill. I have no problem with any ethnic group trying to make it in any sport or profession. However, they need to make it on merit. And I'm sure there are qualified black drivers out there. If a case can be made that more blacks are not in NASCAR because of racism, then something should be done about it. But lets not declare victory because we have increased the number of black drivers to a level that reflects the demographics. Its not about numbers, but skill.

I hope no one takes anything I said as racist. Its always a little dicey when you talk about race. Skin color does not matter to me. Its what comes out of a person that defines them in my opinion. Not whats on the outside.

Now for a little humor. I understand why there are not a lot of black hockey players. Think aout. Would you want a bunch of white guys with sticks chasing you?

Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Demographics can be misleading

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I hope no one takes anything I said as racist. Its always a little dicey when you talk about race. Skin color does not matter to me. Its what comes out of a person that defines them in my opinion. Not whats on the outside.
I think saying, "Skin color does not matter to me" is a great way to say it. The people I have trouble with are the wones who say, "Skin color does not matter." That's a very dangerous position to take.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Demographics can be misleading

Quote:
Quote:
Still, the majority of players across all levels (NCAA, HS, and Pros) track the demographics of the country.
If by this you mean that sports reflect the demographics of the entire country, then I have to disagree. The white population is still the majority and yet the majority of players in the NBA are black. If the NBA followed demographics we see a great deal more whites in professional basketball. That does not bother me. I believe that the best players make it and that in general happen to be the black players.
[/B]
Basketball has the largest representation of black of any major sport. If you add all of the athletes that play basketball together (NBA + NCAA + HS), the overwhelming majority are white. The NCAA stats were linked by someone above and over 50% were white across all the NCAA. The NBA is a majority black but the NBA has so few players they don't change the overall balance.

For HS, the numbers very highly reflect the individual communities...not precisely but in general. I haven't seen the HS numbers but they will dwarf the NCAA numbers just like the number of NCAA participants dwarf the number in the NBA.
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Demographics can be misleading

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still, the majority of players across all levels (NCAA, HS, and Pros) track the demographics of the country.
Basketball has the largest representation of black players of any major sport. If you add all of the athletes that play basketball together (NBA + NCAA + HS), the overwhelming majority are white. The NCAA stats were linked by someone above and over 50% were white across all the NCAA. The NBA is a majority black but the NBA has so few players they don't change the overall balance.

For HS, the numbers very highly reflect the individual communities...not precisely but in general. I haven't seen the HS numbers but they will dwarf the NCAA numbers just like the number of NCAA participants dwarf the number in the NBA. [/B]
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Wow...this was the first I heard of Bird's comments and I must say I'm disappointed. For the most part because I don't think he makes a whole lot of sense.

1. Bird is falling into prejudice and stereotyping when talking about be disrespected by having a white guy guard him. Apparently, in Bird's mind, the fact that you're white means you can't play defense. Well, why couldn't someone else have an equally ridiculous opinion that the fact that your white means you've got not offense? I don't know if I'm explaining this well, but it seems Bird says...white = no good...so why wouldn't the opposing coach use the same logic. BTW, anyone remember guys like Bobby Jones - sixers - wasn't he a pretty good defender...and white?

2. As far as the league needing more white guys, I don't go along with it. The younger generations (for the most part) see less of a separation between races. Young white kids have no problem looking up to black athletes...and buying their shoes...and buying their jerseys... True, some more "mature" (read "older") individuals may prefer to cheer for someone with the same skin color, but I don't think that's the rule anymore. I don't think the league "needs" more white players. If it happens, it happens. It it doesn't, it doesn't.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
..... if Isaiah Thomas were white, he'd be just another average General Manager.
To paraphrase Kevin McHale: Someone should hang Chuck from the roof of the Silverdome and just slap the (bleep) out of him.

[Edited by just another ref on Jun 16th, 2004 at 01:22 AM]

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 01:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

True, some more "mature" (read "older") individuals may prefer to cheer for someone with the same skin color, but I don't think that's the rule anymore.

True? Not freaking likely! And it was a "RULE" at one time? Howinthehell do you plan on backing up that kinda statement? I'm "older" and I sureashell don't remember any RULE like that ever being in place.

Please don't try to equate age with discriminatory practises, unless you can post PROOF at the same time that your statement IS really "true". That horse won't ride. Bigotry isn't just confined to certain age groups. You're falling into the same prejudice and stereotyping that you tried to blame Bird of in your post above.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 16th, 2004 at 03:23 AM]
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

2. As far as the league needing more white guys, I don't go along with it. The younger generations (for the most part) see less of a separation between races. Young white kids have no problem looking up to black athletes...and buying their shoes...and buying their jerseys... True, some more "mature" (read "older") individuals may prefer to cheer for someone with the same skin color, but I don't think that's the rule anymore. I don't think the league "needs" more white players. If it happens, it happens. It it doesn't, it doesn't.
Pot, say hello to Mr. Kettle.

You two are gonna get along great.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic and Dan (sorry, I don't have this "cut and paste" thing down),

I did not mean to state directly or imply that if you're "old" you are racist or prejudiced. What I did mean to say, directly or imply, was that I do believe age can play a role in this area. If you noticed, I did use the words "some" and "may." I don't claim it to be fact. And, I certainly don't know you, Jurassic or Dan (as you don't know me), so it was not a statement about you personally. I do apologize if it offended.

I do believe that as time passes race issues are improving...not that they are perfect...but improving.

In the book, "And The Walls Came Tumbling Down," Frank Fitzpatrick writes about the 1966 NCAA championship game between Kentucky and Texas Western, which Texas Western won. He writes, "For the first time in NCAA championship history, one of the starting teams was entirely black (Texas Western)." And, "For much of mainstream America then, the notion that a team playing only blacks might be able to defeat a well-coached, talented white squad - a team like Kentucky - was preposterous."
I don't think this is prepsoterous now, for much of mainstream America - young or old - and for that I'm thankful.