Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Demographics can be misleading

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Still, the majority of players across all levels (NCAA, HS, and Pros) track the demographics of the country.
If by this you mean that sports reflect the demographics of the entire country, then I have to disagree. The white population is still the majority and yet the majority of players in the NBA are black. If the NBA followed demographics we see a great deal more whites in professional basketball. That does not bother me. I believe that the best players make it and that in general happen to be the black players.
Basketball has the largest representation of black players of any major sport. If you add all of the athletes that play basketball together (NBA + NCAA + HS), the overwhelming majority are white. The NCAA stats were linked by someone above and over 50% were white across all the NCAA. The NBA is a majority black but the NBA has so few players they don't change the overall balance.

For HS, the numbers very highly reflect the individual communities...not precisely but in general. I haven't seen the HS numbers but they will dwarf the NCAA numbers just like the number of NCAA participants dwarf the number in the NBA. [/B]