The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had never even heard of this tactic until joining this board in the middle of the 2002-2003 season. No one around here does it, at any level, that I've seen. Maybe it's nice to be late on the fads, that way we never really see these.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 02:47pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Ace -- if you cannot report to the table (even for numbers greater than 5) without putting your whistle in your pocket or a "clip" you need to go back to using a lanyard!!!

I do agree with you -- just remember the information... all this junk about putting a whistle in your pocket, using a rubber band, etc. is bunk -- just remember the possession. While you're at it, remember the game/shot clock, and the foul count!

- Brad
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I pull my belt buckle to one side or the other to remember.

O' wait I now wear beltless pants, cause alot of people think you cant make the right call IF you dont "look" the part!

Do whay makes YOU feel comfortable!
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

I do agree with you -- just remember the information... all this junk about putting a whistle in your pocket, using a rubber band, etc. is bunk -- just remember the possession. While you're at it, remember the game/shot clock, and the foul count!

- Brad
What??? Some of us have a hard enough time remembering who the foul was on when we are wandering our way to the table!!

I also suggest remembering arrow. There's nothing like knowing which way to point the instant you see a held ball. It looks like you're really on top of the game.

However, the foul counts are a bit more tricky. I do try to remember them but find that a bit more difficult to keep correct.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 03:15pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Yeah -- foul counts are probably the hardest. Everything is easy if there is a good clock / table -- you just check to make sure that they change the arrow / put the foul up, etc.

You've GOT to check the clock every time it starts and stops -- just something you have to learn to do. I watched a college game this year where the shot clock was reset to "42" seconds (the table was attempting to put up who was fouled, but put it on the shot clock instead!). No one on the crew noticed, but just before the ball was put in the table reset the shot clock to 35. Of course, they were none the wiser.

As a side note, this is the same school where the table always runs down the shot clock if they accidentally reset it. One of the times I was there they had to run it down to 2 seconds because they reset. Apparently they are too stupid to figure out how they can actually *set* the clock, which they obviously can do, since they set it to "42" in this other game!

/morons
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Brad...

Isn't this the same place where they keep a supply of foods high in fat and cholesterol at the table just in case a certain A$$istant coach get's the munchies or is granted an early exit??!!!!

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Apr 20th, 2004 at 04:42 PM]
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
Of course he can do what HE FEELS is right and is confrontable with, but there might be consequences for doing something that is considered unorthodox and unnecessary. Not much different than the "belt or no belt" debate. And if he is willing to live with the consequences, then use a coin until your pocket falls out.

But the minute you forget which way and your explaination is what pocket the coin is in, I am sure he will change or not get further opportunities. Hey, we all have choices in life.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've tried to rely on the arrow itself and it is never 100% correct. I feel that for me the best way to keep track of AP is to get the attention of my partner and verbalize after each AP situation "next one goes to white," etc. That little bit of eye contact and verbalization with him or her helps me to internalize the direction for the next situation. Now, I've had partners who don't like to do that for whatever reason. But it won't stop me from getting their attention and telling them "next one's white", or whatever...so thatI can hear it for myself.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 04:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

O' wait I now wear beltless pants, cause alot of people think you cant make the right call IF you dont "look" the part!

OK, I'm gonna try pulling my zipper down and then up with each arrow change then. Think anyone will notice?
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
OK, I'm gonna try pulling my zipper down and then up with each arrow change then. Think anyone will notice?
Er, um, you better be wearin' some support briefs instead of boxers, 'cuz if your zipper gets stuck, you just might add some new meaning to the term "Jump-Ball" (ahem)
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Schradog
I've tried to rely on the arrow itself and it is never 100% correct. I feel that for me the best way to keep track of AP is to get the attention of my partner and verbalize after each AP situation "next one goes to white," etc. That little bit of eye contact and verbalization with him or her helps me to internalize the direction for the next situation. Now, I've had partners who don't like to do that for whatever reason. But it won't stop me from getting their attention and telling them "next one's white", or whatever...so thatI can hear it for myself.
Oh, my! Some things go without saying.
Trust your partner to know.
Try mouthing the words without verbalizing, maybe that'll stick in your head; or do those other voices crowd out the thought? :cool;
mick
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 04:38pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Isn't this the same place where they keep a supply of foods high in fat and cholesterol at the table just in case a certain A$$istant coach get's the munchies or is granted an early exit??!!!!
One and the same!
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I've actually done that.

With a side pocket zipper, though.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Try mouthing the words without verbalizing, maybe that'll stick in your head;
Heck, I go all the way and verbalize.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Try mouthing the words without verbalizing, maybe that'll stick in your head;
Heck, I go all the way and verbalize.
Yabut, I'll bet that you gotta stop chewing your gum though when you do it.