The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Jumper A1 jumps into jumper B1 at jump to start the game. Not incidental contact, both feet came down on other side of the line. What should the call be on this? I believe I blew it by calling a jump ball violation, but should have called a foul (pushing?).
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 01:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If the contact caused by A1 was at the level of contact that would have induced you to call a foul at any other point in the game, then yes. If not, then no.

Only you can decide, since determining the level of contact that you would consider worthy of a foul call is totally subjective.

Did you ask your partner later? If so, what did she/he say? (can you tell Juulie's influence here?)
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
If the contact caused by A1 was at the level of contact that would have induced you to call a foul at any other point in the game, then yes. If not, then no.
In fact, I called a flagrant foul on a jump ball once. A1 was so intent on winning jump he just about took B1's head off. He was big time player for Shaker HS in Albany, NY who eventually went on to lead the nation in rebounding at some small D1 college in Connecticut.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 06:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
In fact, I called a flagrant foul on a jump ball once. A1 was so intent on winning jump he just about took B1's head off. He was big time player for Shaker HS in Albany, NY who eventually went on to lead the nation in rebounding at some small D1 college in Connecticut.
Hmm.. did he commit the foul before the ball was touched.

F-foul before any time comes off the clock. LOL
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

JR - that's right. Would have seemed this rough play portended a long night for my partner and me. But the game concluded without any further incidents. Perhaps the F-foul call helped.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just to answer Champ's (or is it TJ's?) original question, there is no jump ball violation for landing in the "other" half of the jump circle. So if jumping across the line creates contact that puts the other jumper at a disadvantage, it has to be a foul. If it doesn't cause a disadvantage, then it's nothing.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Quote:

I felt he obtained an advantage by jumping into the other guy. Are you serious that this should have been ruled a flagrant if contact happened before time ran off. I couldn't find anything in rule book on that. It certainly wasn't excessive contact.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Quote:

I felt he obtained an advantage by jumping into the other guy. Are you serious that this should have been ruled a flagrant if contact happened before time ran off. I couldn't find anything in rule book on that. It certainly wasn't excessive contact.
I apologize if there is some misunderstanding, but where do I say it should have been ruled a flagrant IF CONTACT OCCURRED BEFORE TIME RAN OUT? My point was you can call a foul including a flagrant foul at the tap. I called a flagrant because of the severity of the contact. The fact that no time ran off the clock doesn't preclude calling a foul. Other examples, player dunks ball in pre-game warmups. Technical with no time off clock.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Champ, I meant "before time ran off" not "out".
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

I misinterpreted JR's response. I'm new to reffing and am learning a lot from this site. You guys are great.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I didn't see the contact, so I don't know whether I'd judge it as flagrant or not.

However, you can certainly have a flagrant foul at any point (inclusive) between when the official's jurisdiction begins and when the referee approves the final score.

In this case, it could even be a flagrant personal foul, because the ball is live once it leaves the R's hands.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 11:10am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I misinterpreted JR's response. I'm new to reffing and am learning a lot from this site. You guys are great.
Uh-oh...Rainmakers gonna get you for calling us all "guys"...
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Sorry.

Guys and Rocky.....
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Sorry.
Guys and Rocky.....