Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Time to see if we can round up a virgin or 2...
Aren't you in NYC? Fat chance!
We'll just drive up to MA where the woman are not so likely to encounter a threat to their virginity.
The calf might be looking over his/her shoulder though.
New idea for a bumper sticker:

"Boston, where the cows are prettier than the women."
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

From a game management stand point to you really want to stop the game and shoot a couple for the T. Rub a little more salt in the wound. Get the coach and everyone else fired up. The kids team is getting beat up, he's upset. Yes he's being a jerk and he's not to happy with you. Yes, he needs to learn a lesson, but this is not the most teachable moment. Let it pass.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]
"Boston, where men are MEN
and the farm animals are nervous."
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Time to see if we can round up a virgin or 2...
Aren't you in NYC? Fat chance!
We'll just drive up to MA where the woman are not so likely to encounter a threat to their virginity.
The calf might be looking over his/her shoulder though.

Ah, good old Massachusetts - where the men are men, and the women look like it! Or was that Montana? Never can keep those "M" states straight...as to the original post - tell the kid once, don't ask for a response (no "Do you understand" questions), and put the ball in play...
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he stops reaching over the line, he's obviously listened to you. If he doesn't, then you can T him with little explaining to do later. I can't think of an easier T than a repeat violation here.
As long as he's not popping off to you, I see no reason to whack him here. Unless he offers you the Philly Salute to go with the Rio Linda stare, let it go.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

[/B]
"Boston, where men are MEN
and the farm animals are nervous." [/B][/QUOTE]

"Boston, where the women are tough & the men are pretty"
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My personal opinion on the situation is that it's not unsportsmanlike to disregard a question. As others have said, T him for what he does. Perhaps the kid is just aware that if he says anything, it's going to be something bad (just b/c of his own frustration); and so he chooses to say nothing at all.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
"Boston, where the women are tough & the men are pretty"
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay. . .
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

First, he is a 17 year old kid - why are you asking him if he understands? As much as you took exception to him not answering, he may have felt that your comment was insulting and demeaning. Asking again may simply seem like you are treating him like he is an idiot. You shouldn't be surprised that he didn't respond - the words that were probably on his mind were the kind that can get you T'd up automatically.

You are only looking at this from your perspective. From my perspective, I see an authority figure talking down to a player with enough experience to know and understand the call you have made. You wouldn't say, "you travelled, do you understand what I am saying?" You would understand if that kind of comment offended a player, you probably didn't realize that your comment may have been equally offensive.

Now having said that, silence is definitely something that should not be T'd up. I am not sure what sportsmanship code requires that a player answer an official's question - it may be impolite, but it is a huge stretch to call an unsportsmanlike T for this. Even more so when you consider the points I made above.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would let it go and try to get the game over with especially if the game is a blowout.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:36pm
Huck Finn

I can see MTD's point on the T although I wouldn't give him one. My question to all: is there ever a time in the game when you say something to a player and expect an answer? If there is not then you should ignore it. If there is then you should not ignore it. For instance, I might want to talk to someone to prevent them from doing something. Although they might not want to answer me, an answer could be just what they need to calm down and or understand that further action will result in something they do not want. In this case, it is game management to prevent something from happening by talking to players. I don't like to do this and be ignored. Some days I will get an answer, some days I will ignore it with the understanding that the next time will be action instead of words. It depends on the situation and the official. However, if an official is ignored and the same thing happens and they don't do anything then shame on that official. That behavior will trickle down to the next game and the player will think they can get away with this behavior every time.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
First, he is a 17 year old kid - why are you asking him if he understands?
Coach,
It's that blank stare that inititates an involuntary reflex.
I can remember that from when I used to be a parent.
  • "Y'understand?"
  • "Ya hear me?"
    mick
    Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:51pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by tomegun

However, if an official is ignored and the same thing happens and they don't do anything then shame on that official. That behavior will trickle down to the next game and the player will think they can get away with this behavior every time.
    Get away with what behavior?

Remaining silent?
    Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 01:44pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
    Now to the heart of my post. Do not give the player (or any coach for that matter) an ultimatum. If the player is staring at you, he heard you. His refusual to answer your question is disrepectful and after the second refusal to answer you, it is okay to give him a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. If the the player's coach complains about the technical foul then shame on him, because he is part of the problem not part of the solution.
    Thanks for the thoughts. No heat from me for these comments. I agree but still would rather avoid the T in a game like this.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Rickref
    Yes he's being a jerk and he's not to happy with you. Yes, he needs to learn a lesson, but this is not the most teachable moment. Let it pass.
    I think I agree with this the most. This is pretty much how I handled it.

Quote:
    Perhaps the kid is just aware that if he says anything, it's going to be something bad (just b/c of his own frustration); and so he chooses to say nothing at all.
    This is a great point Chuck. If I had considered this, I might not have been so irked by the disrespect.

Quote:
    You are only looking at this from your perspective. From my perspective, I see an authority figure talking down to a player with enough experience to know and understand the call you have made.
    Yeah, that’s a good one. I was being the disrespectful one. This is asinine. Coach, as an official, I have been instructed by senior officials and at camps to point out the plane that the defending player should not cross. Particularly I should do so after the infraction as a preventative measure before the next inbounds situation. BTW, I also let a kid know after a made bucket and a time-out that he has the right to run the endline before the next inbounds- am I patronizing him here too or just doing my job.

The fact is, the blank stare elicited the “understand?”

All the time I hear ‘genius’ coaches instruct a player about to shoot free throws, “Hey Tommy, make ‘em.” If that’s not stating the obvious, I don’t know what is.

Quote:
    You are only looking at this from your perspective. From my perspective.
    And what perspective do you view things from? Don't presume to know what perspective I have viewed this from and I won't presume yours. Furthermore, I never made one mention of a Technical in my original post.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    It's that blank stare that inititates an involuntary reflex.
    I can remember that from when I used to be a parent.
  • "Y'understand?"
  • "Ya hear me?"
    mick
  • Exactly.

Thanks for the thoughts. Like I said in my original post.
    Quote:
    Originally posted by footlocker
    In retrospect, I probably should have stated that he needs to stay on his side of the plane and left it at that.
    I still appreciate the feedback as always. Even you, HawksCoach. Understand?
    Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 02:01pm
    Official Forum Member

No need to ask "Do you understand?" Give the warning, give the ball to the inbounder, if the player ignores you, T time. This is one of those situations (blowout, extended garbage time), where it pays to follow mechanics to the letter, get out and go home.

Having asked the question, I don't feel you should be offended by the lack of response. Since you're not supposed to be asking the player whether or not he understands you, how can you penalize him for not responding?

While common courtesy demands a response, the rule book doesn't. At this point, it's time to move on.