The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Jrutledge

Hey Man,
Ifully realize that in NCAA you don't have to sign the book to approve the score-but, the ref still has to check that its right before he leaves the floor. What would happen if there was a correctable error noticed after the final buzzer that when corrected could result inOT? If the ref had already run off the floor the game score would be approved by rule and the team that couldn't get the error corrected would be jobbed and the ref would have his name up in lights- I actually saw this happen many years ago and the ref concerned is still infamous.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Tim
Your idea sounds reasonable to me but make sure you don't miss any scoring chances in those last few minutes- like correctable errors that could come back to haunt you. This has been a great discussion and if nothing else I hope it really makes all of us aware of the possible ramifications that could occur at the end of a game if we don't fulfill all our obligations as Ref.I think enough said on this topic.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Smile End Game Mechanics

Hi Everyone,
I just found a memo dated Jan 14 2000 from Hank Nichols to all D1 D11 D111 officials that states para 4c "officials are reminded that when a game ends with a margin of three points or less they should not leave the court without conferring with each other and the scorer's table"- I guess that answers the question once and for all.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Peter, Peter, Peter.....

I think you are looking for things to find to go wrong with the situation. That is not going to happen that often and if it does, I do believe that would be the scorekeepers problem at that point. If they do not indicate that there is some kind of problem, I am not going to go looking for one. It is the responsibility of both teams to have a scorekeeper so that they can check to see if there are any problems and look out for their individual interests. Unless I see something, I am going to assume that there is a problem unless they tell me. It is not my problem if it is wrong and no one says anything. I only know what I see on the scoreboard (and that does not mean everything) and what the scorekeepers are saying.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Hey Man,
Ifully realize that in NCAA you don't have to sign the book to approve the score-but, the ref still has to check that its right before he leaves the floor. What would happen if there was a correctable error noticed after the final buzzer that when corrected could result inOT? If the ref had already run off the floor the game score would be approved by rule and the team that couldn't get the error corrected would be jobbed and the ref would have his name up in lights- I actually saw this happen many years ago and the ref concerned is still infamous.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking Check out Nichols Bulletin

Rut Rut Rut
Go to Bob Jenkins Post re: NCAA Rule Change- Then go to his suggested web site- click on Men's & Women's Officiating Bulletins Then click on the Jan 2000 Bulletin and read para 4c very slowly so you get it-Then get back to everyone
Hank Nichols is the final say in NCAA isn't he???
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 03:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: A different animal.

Peter, I think you need to understand something, most of us are not NCAA officials. I personally and I am sure that the others are not talking about NCAA games. Now, the reason NCAA means nothing in this argument, because like other rules compared to NF rules, they are totally different. See, NCAA teams have money for security to protect fans from confronting officials and there is probably action they can better take against those that do. I only do NF games (or high school) at this point and that is not mandated in NF rules. Our rulebook says that the score is approved when the officials leave the visual confinds of the court. And so we are not going to stick around to give approval to the table any more than what is stated by the rules of the NF.

And Peter, I do not think that Nicholls is over the women's game, he is only over the men's. And if you know anything about NCAA basketball, each has it's own rules and mechanics. And many officials that do one, do not do the other at least at the D1 level. Now the other levels, I am not sure about, but I do not that it is not common to see someone do both.

Quote:
Rut Rut Rut
Go to Bob Jenkins Post re: NCAA Rule Change- Then go to his suggested web site- click on Men's & Women's Officiating Bulletins Then click on the Jan 2000 Bulletin and read para 4c very slowly so you get it-Then get back to everyone
Hank Nichols is the final say in NCAA isn't he???
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Rut ,
I realize Nichols only supervises the NCAA Men- I also know that the Ladies rules are different. I began my career in 1960 trained by U.S. clinicians from Maryland under the IAABO organization which I was a member of for over 20 years. Iam sorry that I didn't realize that I have been talking with NF officials. I have never reffed those rules. However if any of you want to progress to the higher levels you will have to follow the dictates of people in Nichols position so you might as well pay attention to him now.
Have a productive New Year
YIBB
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb No.

That would be fine and dandy if we were under the same rules. There is a big separation between NCAA mechanics, rules and practices compared to NF mechanics, rules and practices. We are only allowed to really follow Nichols to a point, because this year the National Federation has made it a point of emphisis to use only NF mechanics. Even in our state officials were told to only use these NF mechanics because it might go against us for playoff consideration.

Having said all that, I would still never recommend that an official in the United States of America, to stick around and go back to the table. If I had used your logic in a JV Tournament game I did this past week, I would have had to fight a coach. Because he was not happy with a call I made and tried to tell me about it after I was almost off the court. Granted, I was not worried about my safety or anything like that, but why put myself in a situation that nothing was going to change as a result of what he said. And the confrontation might have had me say something that could have been easily misinterpreted and me writing him up. And then the state would have asked me, "why in the world did you stick around" like my assignor would have said too.

Quote:
Hi Rut ,
I realize Nichols only supervises the NCAA Men- I also know that the Ladies rules are different. I began my career in 1960 trained by U.S. clinicians from Maryland under the IAABO organization which I was a member of for over 20 years. Iam sorry that I didn't realize that I have been talking with NF officials. I have never reffed those rules. However if any of you want to progress to the higher levels you will have to follow the dictates of people in Nichols position so you might as well pay attention to him now.
Have a productive New Year
YIBB
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Rut
Good Luck in all your future endeavours!