The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to think that the judges based their scores on the amount of skill involved in the dunks. Skill wise, yes the men were leaps and bounds better than her but, how many girls can do what she did? Only a hand full thus leading the judges to give her higher scores IMO. If a male would have ran up and dunked it one handed then obviously they would have scored 5' & 6's instead of 8's & 9's. I agree with whoever said that the men needed to complete the dunks. All that razzle dazzle goes for nothing if the ball doesn't go through the hoop!
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 06:00pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
It's all about the razzel dazzel!

Dunk contests stink anyway, boring. Wish they would do away with it.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
She did nothing exciting or out of the ordinary. The only thing she had going for her is she was a woman.

Just being a young woman who dunked was both exciting and out of the ordinary. That's why she won.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 08:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So, what we're all saying is that this dunk contest was won with affirmative action? I'm sorry, this stinks. She got extra points for being a girl. Should they give Annika Sorenstam a handicap when she golfs with the guys? If a woman can compete with the guys, I'm all for it. But not if she has to get points for being female.

Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 08:25pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Just being a young woman who dunked was both exciting and out of the ordinary. That's why she won.
I'll give you out of the ordinary, but it was FAR from exciting. This is along those lines of discussions I have with my wife when we discuss men in sports and women in sports. She is always talking about how Flo Jo would whoop my a**. Of course she would, she is a world class athlete and I am not, how ever when you compare apples to apples as opposed to apples to overripe and brown bananas (me) you get a completely different story. I'll take nothing away from female athletes, but when you put the best against the best in most sports, the male will dominate. That is not a sexist comment it is just a fact.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 08:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

ESPN did a piece the other day about the men who participate in the practice squads for womens' college teams. Pat Summit summed it up well, (paraphrase) "We play them because they're better than we are." Note, these are guys who don't get scholarships, don't get money, can't travel with the team. All they get out of it is excercise and competition. Why is that relevant, because they guys that have much talent are playing on scholarship somewhere. The best college women basketball players in the world are playing against guys who couldn't make a D3 team (generalization alert); and they're still getting beat in practice. (I make that assumption based on the fact that it wasn't addressed in the television segment.)

Adam
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

LDUB is right, If a guy had done the dunks that she did the crowd would have booed him. Her dunks were off of one foot and with one hand and with no authority. I read on espn.com the other day that she did an "exact replica" of Dee Brown's dunk in 91, apparently Dee Brown jumped off of one foot covering his eyes while he was on the ground and then looked directly at the basket while getting barely up high enough to do a weak dunk. Women's sports for the most part disgust me. Women should shouldn't try to act masculinely like men, it doesn't make sense genetically. It's the same thing as a man acting feminine like he's female aka crossdressers, drag queens. Politically correct brainwashing is really something. Maybe a drag queen will win the Miss America Pageant this year even though all of the other contestants were better, but hey, the drag queen is a man so cut him some slack.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 07:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by muresan
[B Women's sports for the most part disgust me. Women should shouldn't try to act masculinely like men, it doesn't make sense genetically. It's the same thing as a man acting feminine like he's female aka crossdressers, drag queens. Politically correct brainwashing is really something. Maybe a drag queen will win the Miss America Pageant this year even though all of the other contestants were better, but hey, the drag queen is a man so cut him some slack.
[/B]
I agree!!! Damn country started to go to hell in a handbasket as soon as we gave wimmen the vote. And don't get me started about letting 'em drive either. My God!
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

I agree!!! Damn country started to go to hell in a handbasket as soon as we gave wimmen the vote. And don't get me started about letting 'em drive either. My God!
Funny!!

Peace
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
LDUB is right, If a guy had done the dunks that she did the crowd would have booed him. Her dunks were off of one foot and with one hand and with no authority. I read on espn.com the other day that she did an "exact replica" of Dee Brown's dunk in 91, apparently Dee Brown jumped off of one foot covering his eyes while he was on the ground and then looked directly at the basket while getting barely up high enough to do a weak dunk. Women's sports for the most part disgust me. Women should shouldn't try to act masculinely like men, it doesn't make sense genetically. It's the same thing as a man acting feminine like he's female aka crossdressers, drag queens. Politically correct brainwashing is really something. Maybe a drag queen will win the Miss America Pageant this year even though all of the other contestants were better, but hey, the drag queen is a man so cut him some slack.
This is sarcasm, right?

Not?!?! Could you just flag the rock you crawled out from under, so I can avoid it? Thank you.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...hitlock/040401

Article on the dunk contest and women in sports.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Just do not want you to be repetitive.

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...hitlock/040401

Article on the dunk contest and women in sports.
W_sohl already posted this article. It was in the "Perfect perspective on C. Parker Dunk" post.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I didn't realize that Paul Hornung posts on our forum
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Actually I'm Charles Barkley.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 06:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Apparently no one that posts here actually watched the contest.

She did not win simply cause she was a girl.

Sorry, but I did watch the contest. I saw it the first night the program aired. Then watched it again when they replayed it. She won because of the format of the contest, not because her dunks were better than other successful dunks.

Peace