The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Apparently no one that posts here actually watched the contest.

She did not win simply cause she was a girl.

She won because there were 4 finalists, and each finalist was supposed to make 3 dunks.
Yeah, but she made it out of the 1st round only b/c she was a girl.

But on a more important note, who the dexter really cares?!?! I can't believe that a girl in a dunking contest has generated 3 pages of posts. It's a dextering dunk contest, people!! When's the last time anybody cared about a dunk contest? Even the NBA's? You think the dunk judges are bound by some code of ethics?

Are you worried that the social mores of the country will be undone b/c this talented young woman got a pass so that she could be showcased on a cable tv program that about 100,000 people watched? Get over it. She won. Who cares?
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Kinda interesting column on the subject.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...k/x03-bar1.htm
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

She won because there were 4 finalists, and each finalist was supposed to make 3 dunks.
Yeah, but she made it out of the 1st round only b/c she was a girl.

But on a more important note, who the dexter really cares?!?! I can't believe that a girl in a dunking contest has generated 3 pages of posts. It's a dextering dunk contest, people!! When's the last time anybody cared about a dunk contest? Even the NBA's? You think the dunk judges are bound by some code of ethics?

Are you worried that the social mores of the country will be undone b/c this talented young woman got a pass so that she could be showcased on a cable tv program that about 100,000 people watched? Get over it. She won. Who cares?
Chuck, as an ex-girl,I thank you for sticking up for us, I think?
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I dunno, Chuck - as Sen. Brownback of Kansas would say, this puts us on a slippery moral slope.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Juulie, I'm not sticking up for anyone. I'm merely saying that getting worked up about this issue is the same as arguing over whether the 4th graders or the 5th graders won the snowball fight at recess.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
Juulie, I'm not sticking up for anyone. I'm merely saying that getting worked up about this issue is the same as arguing over whether the 4th graders or the 5th graders won the snowball fight at recess.
Well that is what many of us think about your constant baseball talks. But you continue to have them over and over and over again. At least this is about the sport on the board with the appropriate name. Deal with it like many of us deal with the 8 pages of post about how sorry the Red Sox are. Which they are losing again to Baltimore.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Say Chuck, we haven't discussed baseball for a while now.

Too bad about the Sox tonight...but they have 161 more games to make that up. This seems like a good place to discuss each and every single game.

Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Chuck, it IS sticking up for us. You are saying that there is absolutely no interest or meaning to a discussion of whether or not girls should be allowed to enter a dunk contest. That's treating us as equals, and that's way more dignity than muresan feels we deserve. In the end, women can argue and demonstrate and struggle for equality all we want to, but until there are a least a few men saying to other men that we are right, it is meaningless effort. I'm thanking you for being one of the "good guys."
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

juulie
muresan's argument that girls should never play "boys" sports is flat out ridiculous, so that's probably why chuck's comment doesn't feel much to him like he is defending anything.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck, it IS sticking up for us. You are saying that there is absolutely no interest or meaning to a discussion of whether or not girls should be allowed to enter a dunk contest.
Juulie, I really am one of the good guys , but not for the reason you stated above. I wasn't trying to say what you wrote. I was saying that there's no meaning or relevance to the dunk contest itself. So discussion of who was in it or who won is a waste of breath. Maybe I should have said it's like arguing about whether the girls or the boys won the snowball fight. Nobody cares who won; not even the people in the snowball fight. They were just hacking around, having fun. The slam dunk contest is the same thing, IMO.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

She won because there were 4 finalists, and each finalist was supposed to make 3 dunks. You were allowed 1 miss on each attempt. She was the only one of the 4 finalists to MAKE all 3 of hers. All the guys missed at least one which meant that they scored a big ZERO on 1 of their 3. I think you could get a max of 80 per dunk. And she went FIRST in the finals. If ANY of the dudes had made all 3, they surely would have won. The last guy to go made his first 2, then had 2 chances to really throw down ANYTHING and claim victory. He missed twice. He lost. She won.

I agree that the men did miss their dunks. All of Parker's dunks deserved no more than a 1, except the last one which might have gotten a 3 or so. Anyone in their right mind who watched the competiton would agree that a dunk by Ms. Parker would be given more points than a man who did the exact same dunk. Lets add this up now.

Parker - 3 dunks made. Scores 1, 1, 3. Total 5 points. Mutiply by 8 judges equals 40 points.

Any of the Men. Make one halfway decent dunk and miss the other two. Scores 0, 0, 6. Mutiply by 8 judges equals 48 points.

Something seems wrong here.

But I ask you why was she in the contest? Ummmm... It was obviously because of her awesome dunking skills....I know it was because she was a woman. I'm not saying this is a bad thing though. I did enjoy watching her dunk, it is not something you see every day. But please, do not tell me she should have won the contest. She should have never made it past the first round.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Chuck, it IS sticking up for us. You are saying that there is absolutely no interest or meaning to a discussion of whether or not girls should be allowed to enter a dunk contest.
Juulie, I really am one of the good guys , but not for the reason you stated above. I wasn't trying to say what you wrote. I was saying that there's no meaning or relevance to the dunk contest itself. So discussion of who was in it or who won is a waste of breath. Maybe I should have said it's like arguing about whether the girls or the boys won the snowball fight. Nobody cares who won; not even the people in the snowball fight. They were just hacking around, having fun. The slam dunk contest is the same thing, IMO.
Yea, okay, I see. And I definitely agree about the contest. What's the smilie for a big yawn?
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
She was the first to dunk in a girls game...
I would dispute this!! I've heard this claim several times now and not convinced of its truth! In Indianapolis, we have a girl who has dunked in a game both this year AND last year. Her name is Amber Harris; she plays for Indianapolis North Central; and she is a 6'5" SOPHOMORE! This summer, there will be SEVERAL suitors after her services for college. She dunks in practice all the time...just as she has done so a few times during games. As a matter of fact, she missed a dunk attempt in the state championship game this year as her team won the 4A state title.

I would like to know who could verify that Miss Parker dunked BEFORE Miss Harris. IF Parker did dunk first, then Harris MUST be the YOUNGEST girl to dunk in a girls' game!

Didn't Cheryl Miller, Reggie's sister, dunk in college? Maybe college doesn't count in this discussion.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Candice Parker is not the first to dunk in a game at any level - clearly this has happened in college. Michelle Snow did it on three different occasions, but she is just the most recent example, and maybe the most prolific. I'm not sure why she doesn't have more actually - Tennessee generates a lot of break opportunities, you would think she would have gotten more dunks in her career.

I think that Parker is supposed to have been the first to do it in HS, and I do believe she did it before this year - jrut could probably answer that more definitively. He lives and refs in her neck of the woods (or asphalt!).
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

All I was trying to say is this:

1-she unfairly won, it was bs. Chuck, I know it's not life or death but a lot of people enjoy a good dunk contest and don't like to have it ruined.

2-I don't have a problem with women playing basketball. I just don't like to see women trying to act like men in order to be good, and in basketball, you have to act masculinely aka like a man, to be really good. Honestly, what do you think about women playing football, an even more masculine sport(not just kickers)? female bodybuilders who look really muscular like men, what about that? I don't care if some individuals partake in these endeavors, I just don't think that everybody should act this way and therefore it shouldn't be promoted. Would it be alright with you if the world was nothing but overly muscular female bodybuilders and very feminine drag queens?