The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=1771877

Woman wins DUNK contest.......WHAT! Way to go!!!!!!! Probably a little embarassing for th guy that took second but pretty awesome for Candce Parker. This may allow for Coach Summit to say, "Diana Taurasi who?"
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

The dunk story was great - I hope I can watch it tomorrow night.

As to the quote . . . don't even go there!
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I am a big UCONN fan....I grew up in Clinton, Connecticut. I love Taurasi too and believe that she is one of if not the best ever women's college basketball player!
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not a surprise for us that have seen her here in Illinois. She plays just like a guy. Candace is from Naperville Central High School, about 10 minutes from my house. She won back to back Class AA State Championships and declared her letter of intent on ESPN live about a year ago. She was the first to dunk in a girls game and dunks on a regular basis in practice. One of my good friends and is an official has a daughter that is going to Iowa on a basketball scholarship next year and she played with Candace for a few years on an AAU team.

She is the real deal, I cannot wait to see what she is going to do at Tennessee.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
I am a big UCONN fan....I grew up in Clinton, Connecticut. I love Taurasi too and believe that she is one of if not the best ever women's college basketball player!
I think people's memories are short when it comes to great players. All the ESPN announcers exclaiming that Taurasi is the best ever are selling Chamique Holdsclaw short.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be the first in the forum to say that Candace Parker will be the greatest women's basketball player ever to play the game!

I've seen her play enough to know that she has skills and abilities that are unbelievable for a 6' 4" player. Pat Summit has already said that Candace is the most complete/developed player she has ever seen.

Keep in mind that she is just 8 months removed from tearing her ACL during a summer league..........
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
I think people's memories are short when it comes to great players. All the ESPN announcers exclaiming that Taurasi is the best ever are selling Chamique Holdsclaw short.
And Sheryl Swoops.........Cheryl Miller etc.. Sue Bird was a great college player, Jackie Stiles. the list goes on and on. I would have to have Taurasi and Holdsclaw near the VERY top!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:29am
In Memoriam

Cheryl Miller was just an amazing ballplayer in her day. Even had an NBA try-out. Absolutely dominated. It was written in the sports pages more than a few times that she was better than her little brother. Of course, maybe that was written just to piss off Reggie.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
Keep in mind that she is just 8 months removed from tearing her ACL during a summer league..........
Which means that she is probably also 8 months removed from tearing it again. Studies repeatedly show that women are much more susceptible to this type of injury than men. I hope it doesn't bite her again.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
And Sheryl Swoops.........Cheryl Miller etc.. Sue Bird was a great college player, Jackie Stiles. the list goes on and on. I would have to have Taurasi and Holdsclaw near the VERY top!
And representing western Mass was Rebecca Lobo, a fantastic college player. When she was in college, many people included her in this "Top 10" discussion. Unfortunately, her pro career has been severely hampered by repeated injury (see my previous post).
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
I'll be the first in the forum to say that Candace Parker will be the greatest women's basketball player ever to play the game!
We'll see. I am not inclined toward such pronouncements til they show what they can do on the big stage. There is a lot of talent out there right now - Beard and Currie at Duke, Taurasi, Mazzante, a ton of people in the pros already. HS and AAU can point toward greatness, but you only really know when they play the game at the next two levels.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I am not trying to be sexist, but there is no way that Candice Parker shouold win this dunk competition. Have any of you actually watched it on tv, or have you just read about it? The men are going up doing some nice looking dunks, you know windmill, spinning, cool looking stuff like that. Then Parker comes along, she has 3 dunks in the first round. She misses one of them and the other two she makes, but they are just standard jump of the left foot and dunk with the right hand. She did that dunk twice. Then in the finals she gets 4 dunks. She misses one and makes three. Two of them are again standard one hand dunks. Then on her last one, she covers her eyes when she is running towards the basket, but when she jumps she moves her hand off her eyes and she dunks it, again the standard off one foot dunk. I understnad the guys missed a few dunks which cut their point totals, but there is no way she should have won. She did nothing exciting or out of the ordinary. The only thing she had going for her is she was a woman. If any guy did the dunks she did he would not have won.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

LDUB,

I agree with you. But the guys need to just make a dunk or two and they probably would have beat her. I think they spent more time trying to be overly spectacular instead of doing things they were capable of doing.

It is their own fault. But I have to admit I was thinking many of the same things. But I still think the girl is an amazing player. She just did not get much of a challenge from the boys that were in the contest. But that is not her fault.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

that girl was tight but the guy wasn't he could do good dunks in the all star game but not on the dunk contest what's wrong with that
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnite
that girl was tight but the guy wasn't he could do good dunks in the all star game but not on the dunk contest what's wrong with that