The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 08:31pm
In Memoriam

I am an official too, but that pass that LSU made to Tennessee sent shivers down my spine, because I, again, saw Larry Bird intercept Isiah Thomas's pass about 20 years ago.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Consistency

During the play that led to the fifth foul on one of Duke's big men, Okafor stepped into the lane and clearly initiated contact,DISPLACING the Duke defender to gain a positional advantage.When the Duke defender tried to get around Okafor, he made contact that was MUCH LESS than the contact that was INITIALLY IGNORED.The T.V. replay confirmed this.
Did this lack of consistency in refereeing the offence and the defence, in one play at the end of the game have an impact on the outcome of this game ? I believe it did.
Do you remember the play ? What was your read on it ?

Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Consistency

Quote:
Originally posted by silverfox
During the play that led to the fifth foul on one of Duke's big men, Okafor stepped into the lane and clearly initiated contact,DISPLACING the Duke defender to gain a positional advantage.When the Duke defender tried to get around Okafor, he made contact that was MUCH LESS than the contact that was INITIALLY IGNORED.The T.V. replay confirmed this.
Did this lack of consistency in refereeing the offence and the defence, in one play at the end of the game have an impact on the outcome of this game ? I believe it did.

Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by silverfox

[/B]
My read is that Duke fans whine as much as their coach. Which is constantly.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Let em play

I watched the Duke Uconn game last night and I came to the internet to see what other people thought of the officiating. This is the first time I have seen your web site and this is probably the only post I will ever make. I almost turned the game off at about ten minutes in the first half because it seemed clear officials had their own agendas. Most who watched the game felt officiating had a negative impact. Only a few media writers dealt directly with the issue and coaches and players have pretty much stuck their heads in the sand. This might seem like a good thing for officials, but this blatant hand wringing could lead to problems for officials down the road. After reviewing posts to this site it is disturbing to see people charged with blowing the whistle are unwilling to discuss the decisions that had a greater impact on the game than anything the players did. There was a plethora of imaginary fouls called and an abundance of fouls ignored. How can a body with duties to interpret and enforce rules be opposed to a review of the way rules are applied. The officiating however disruptive was impartial.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

GREENBOOK..

I AGREE 100 PERCENT... I'm not sure what exactly you were refering to. But, the part about the own agenda.. CORRECT.

The official.. "hall" I think.. blew his dag on whistle EVERY SINGLE time there was ANY contact. No advantage disadvantage.. he just saw contact and blew.

Not to mention his mechanics.. duck, weave, head bop.. If he were getting the calls right.. THEN maybe OK.. But, jeesh.. duck weeve.. and all that.. and then just guess.. cuz there is contact. WOW.

Final Four.. wow
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Let em play

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbook
I watched the Duke Uconn game last night and I came to the internet to see what other people thought of the officiating. This is the first time I have seen your web site and this is probably the only post I will ever make. I almost turned the game off at about ten minutes in the first half because it seemed clear officials had their own agendas.
That's interesting. I decided to stop reading your post a few sentences in.

Unlike you, I acted on my decision.

Enjoy the baseball season fanny boy.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbook
After reviewing posts to this site it is disturbing to see people charged with blowing the whistle are unwilling to discuss the decisions that had a greater impact on the game than anything the players did.

And what are your qualifications that would enable you to intelligently discuss the officiating in any game with us? The fact that you've seen literally hundreds of games? Go to Google and punch in "fanboy fantasies". You'll find all kinds for morons just like yourself that'll be quite happy to tell you how bad the officials are,were, and will be.

Go be with your own. Shoo! Shoo!
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
GREENBOOK..

I AGREE 100 PERCENT... I'm not sure what exactly you were refering to. But, the part about the own agenda.. CORRECT.

The official.. "hall" I think.. blew his dag on whistle EVERY SINGLE time there was ANY contact. No advantage disadvantage.. he just saw contact and blew.

Not to mention his mechanics.. duck, weave, head bop.. If he were getting the calls right.. THEN maybe OK.. But, jeesh.. duck weeve.. and all that.. and then just guess.. cuz there is contact. WOW.

Final Four.. wow
I do not agree at all with your questioning of that official's integrity. To say that any official came into a game like this with a pre-determined agenda is ludicrous.

Edited to remove personal slur, to which I have apologized below.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 5th, 2004 at 06:55 AM]
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic..

You know ..

When you reply to people.. you are validating that they are there... and that there comments affect you. IF you think they don't have anything worthy of saying.. you know what...

JUST LET IT F____ GO...

I think that we should be attacking the opinions of what people say. And NOT the person themselves... cuz you know what .................... we.. you.. knowone... knows anything about that particuliar person.

I'm smart (I think.. LOL).. I officiate.. and I'm moving along in the business. But, i think it is ridiculous and sends a clear msg that YOU, in fact, can be rattled !
that you have to make a point.. to tell someone ELSE how wrong they are.

The only reason I'm sayin this.. is cuz I see it all throughout comments in this board.

If you are a true ref.. you can suck it up... and accept that your opinion is not necesarily accepted by all. And that you can just move along.. as if nothing happened.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Does anybody know for sure who is working tonight's championship game?
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 05:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:

If you are a true ref.. you can suck it up... and accept that your opinion is not necesarily accepted by all. And that you can just move along.. as if nothing happened.

Yup, I'm a true ref. And I'll stick up for other refs every time someone attacks their integrity instead of their skill level. Which is exactly what you did! True refs never do that. You, Sir, are not a true ref!

You can tell me that that official's judgement was bad, he didn't hustle and was out of position, he lacked people skills, he wasn't experienced enough for that game, etc., etc., etc. That doesn't bother me. But when you start talking about someone officiating a game according to a pre-arranged agenda,you're basically saying that the guy was cheating. Well, that's completely wrong for any official to say something like that about a fellow official. That's my opinion, whether you like it or not.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 05:50am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
GREENBOOK..

Final Four.. wow
You need to change your name to "iamabackstabber". I don't believe that you are a ref.
I had my finger on the quote button for a couple of minutes thinking about this.
JR, I agree with you to some extent. I don't think any of the officials had a terrible game. There might be things they could have done differently but that's life. I feel kind of bad for Orlandis because it will be harder for him to recover than Hall and Hillary. What I don't agree with, and I've stated this on other posts, is all the jumping around. There are several derogatory words that come to mind when I think about it. I will just leave it at does not look good and isn't needed.
JR, do you realize that a short statement from you turns many others against this poster? I don't know how many officials you've worked with that post here but to me it seems to be a small group that support each other's comments due to an internet friendship based on the number of posts someone has made. There are so many factors that play a part in the first post someone makes that ability to officiate and especially if someone is a good person or not should not be doubted. I've seen several posts by many people here and what I think of them as an official I've kept mostly to myself with one exception. Really I don't know how good anyone is. I could guess but I don't know for sure. I have seen probably two people on this board in person and one of them probably doesn't know about it and I've met the other (nevadaref) but I don't think I've seen him work. I just don't get some of the comments "________ is a good official" unless you've seen someone work. A book official doesn't make someone a good official on the court and what we are doing is talking about scenarios and haveing a glorified pre-game. It helps but it is not the determining factor to say someone is a good official unless you've seen them work.
Should this have been in the "what I dislike" thread?
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 06:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
[/B]
Should this have been in the "what I dislike" thread?
[/B][/QUOTE]Nope. Legitimate comments. Upon further review, "backstabber" was not a wise choice on my part. I apologize for my usage of that term. I can't apologize for the rest of it, though. As I said, I don't have a real problem if someone gives their honest opinion of an official's ability. I do have a problem when someone questions that official's integrity. That's just wrong, imo.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'll be glad when this thing is over, so we can get back to normal. I am so tired of these fanboys.

Further, there's no reason for an official on this site to question an official's integrity, simply based on what he "thinks" he sees on TV. Quite honestly, I couldn't care less whether such a person ever posts again or not. It's even worse than listening to Mike & Mike this morning, who I previously enjoyed listening to. "When did these guys get together and decide that they we going make a mockery of this game?"

Sad day.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith