The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final Four Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12946-final-four-officials.html)

johnSandlin Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:50pm

Okay...

Now that we have the teams figured out on who is playing in the Final Four, who do you think will work the Final Four this year?

Game #1

Ted Hillary
David Libbey
Dick Cartmell

Game #2
David Hall
Mike Sanzere
Tim Higgins

National Championship Game
Jim Burr
Mike Kitts(definitely deserves this game)
Karl Hess(definitely deserves this game)

If Hall and Cartmell are not there, then do not be suprised if Ted Valentine, Steve Welmer, Ed Hightower,or Donee Gray get the nod to go to San Antonio this year.

[Edited by johnSandlin on Mar 29th, 2004 at 11:55 AM]

caref Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:57pm

same old faces

Are there not any new officials out there deserving?

I get tired of seeing the same guys year after year.

Valentine, after the Texas game is a longshot

Libbey had a horrible game this weekend.

Burr definitly.

Hightower, no way. He sees a different game than anyone else.

The others all have a good shot

johnSandlin Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:01pm

I know what you mean about new faces showing up at the Final Four, but it is safe to say the Final Four nod is a resume/tournament worked so far type of assignment from years past.

Any particular faces you think of deserving the chance this weekend?

Jay R Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:17pm

I saw Patrick Driscoll work the Duke-Xavier game. He was not a name I was familiar with but seemed to do a good job.

My picks would be:
Steve Welmer
Jim Burr
John Clougherty
Mike Kitts
Larry Rose
Dick Cartmell
Ed Hightower
Gerald Boudreaux
Rick Hartzell
Ed Corbett

FHSUref Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:27pm

Re: same old faces

Quote:

Originally posted by caref
Are there not any new officials out there deserving?

I agree with wanting new officials to officiate the games. The concern here is that this is for the national championship. I know that they had a first time but if these guys are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else, it shouldn't matter if they do it year in and year out should it?

iamaref Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:35pm

HESS is my pick. No non-sense. Not flashy. Makes the obvious calls... sells the tough ones. Doesn't put stuff in the game.

NO EGO.. that i can see.

If I were a coach.. i'd want him on my game. And I don't even know the guy.

Scratch list would include Hightower. Why do people think he is good anyhow ? And i mean that seriously.. what does he do that makes him valuable ?

TriggerMN Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:52pm

I'm hoping for Hess and Burr to make the final. There's no way Clougherty makes it after that 3rd foul call on Rony Turiaf of Gonzaga in the Nevada game. I think many would be in agreement that this was likely the worst call of the tournament.

FredFan7 Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:57pm

Welmer didn't officiate the Elite 8. Is he still eligible for the Final 4? I hope he goes.

ShadowStripes Mon Mar 29, 2004 03:03pm

Some big names didn't work Sweet 16 or Elite 8 games:
Scott Thornley
John Clougherty
Duke Edsall
Reggie Greenwood
Frank Scagliotta
Charlie Range
Kerry Sitton
Jim Haney
Doug Shows

Plus, some others
Tom Nunez
Mike Scyphers
Steve Olson
Mike Stuart

Are they still in the mix for the Final 4?...stay tuned.

Mark Dexter Mon Mar 29, 2004 03:35pm

For Shadow and Fred,

In order to do a Final Four game, you need to have worked (or been the alternate for) one of the regional final (Elite 8) or regional semifinal (Sweet 16) games.

Only those 48 refs are eligible to be assigned to the Final Four. There are 3 crews of 3 selected and an alternate who serves for all 3 games.

FredFan7 Mon Mar 29, 2004 03:43pm

Thank you Mark.

aces88 Mon Mar 29, 2004 04:06pm

While the Final Four officials could be picked from any who worked the second weekend, the NCAA usually assigns from the 12 who worked the Regional Finals. This would make the short list as follows:

David Hall, Randy McCall, Mike Wood, Richard Cartmell, Bob Staffen, Verne Harris, Jim Burr, Tom Lopes, Donnee Gray, Mike Kitts, Olandis Poole, Pat Driscoll

I thought Hall, McCall and Wood did an excellent job in the UConn-Alabama game, but did not see enough of any of the other games to evaluate the others.

[Edited by aces88 on Mar 29th, 2004 at 03:18 PM]

johnSandlin Mon Mar 29, 2004 04:10pm

We shall soon find out soon enough who got the honor given to them to work the Final Four. I have always thought Hightower has done a good job, but I do have to agree with you that have said he has went in the wrong direction of late. He does add more to the game then what needs to be there, but his resume speaks for itself.

I also agree with the choices of Hartzell, and Beaudroux. I thought the regional semi-final that Hartzell worked, he did a very nice, quiet, and consistent job through out the whole game.

Judge Roy Mon Mar 29, 2004 06:12pm

How long has Clougherty been deceased?

He is embalmed isn't he.

He should have retired 10 years ago. He is far too old to be a referee.

FHSUref Mon Mar 29, 2004 06:18pm

Re: How long has Clougherty been deceased?

Quote:

Originally posted by Judge Roy
He is embalmed isn't he.

He should have retired 10 years ago. He is far too old to be a referee.

There are old referees but none as ignorant or misinformed as you.