The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

OT, team A makes a basket to go up by 3. Team B calls a time out with 6 seconds left. After TO, I am lead, FT line extended in frontcourt due to 3/4 court press. (2 Man) As team B inbounds the ball, I move down to the baseline as all of team B is setting up outside of 3 point area. I am in the middle of the paint under basket as B-1 dribbles lenght of court & shoots with foot on the 3 point line. Partner signals 3, he hasn't even crossed mid court, ball goes in. Team B going nuts, I run over to my partner & tell him his foot was on the line. He waves off 3 & Team A wins by 1. Team B's coach runs over and asks how I can make that call. I said "because I saw it coach". He didn't say another word.

Now I get flack from our evaluator saying that "I should let the kids decide the game" Well in my opinion I did let the kids decide it. Team A's defense made that kid step on the line. His point is that I should not have been looking there, but there was no one in my primary & the play was comming towards me. What's your thoughts everyone?

Thanks
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

In transition, the lead has to watch most of the frontcourt if the trail is still in the backcourt. Although it wasn't your call to make, if you know for sure your partner isn't looking, then you have to look.

The important thing is that the right call was made.

Good Job.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 09:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodego
OT, team A makes a basket to go up by 3. Team B calls a time out with 6 seconds left. After TO, I am lead, FT line extended in frontcourt due to 3/4 court press. (2 Man) As team B inbounds the ball, I move down to the baseline as all of team B is setting up outside of 3 point area. I am in the middle of the paint under basket as B-1 dribbles lenght of court & shoots with foot on the 3 point line. Partner signals 3, he hasn't even crossed mid court, ball goes in. Team B going nuts, I run over to my partner & tell him his foot was on the line. He waves off 3 & Team A wins by 1. Team B's coach runs over and asks how I can make that call. I said "because I saw it coach". He didn't say another word.

Now I get flack from our evaluator saying that "I should let the kids decide the game" Well in my opinion I did let the kids decide it. Team A's defense made that kid step on the line. His point is that I should not have been looking there, but there was no one in my primary & the play was comming towards me. What's your thoughts everyone?

Thanks

You did well young grasshopper. The only question that I have is why were you standing in the middle of the paint as the L. When you are in the middle of the paint you are in quicksand. The L needs to be on the outside of the paint looking into the paint.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

No one in the paint, 8 of 10 players on opposite side of key. I didn't want to move all the way over for fear they go the other way.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
No one in the paint, 8 of 10 players on opposite side of key. I didn't want to move all the way over for fear they go the other way.
I can buy this, only because there was only 6s left in the game and we were basically in a last possession mode. In this scenario, who cares where you stand, as long it is the best angle. If that look is in the paint, then it is in the paint. (This is no less true than saying 2 + 2 = 4, imo.)

Good job on getting the call right!
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks [/B]
I agree with the others, Good call, because your partner was not in position to see the play. If I was the evaluator, I would be talking to the T. 1) the T should be able to keep up with a dribbler and be in position to see the play, knowing its going to be a three. 2) the T signaled a three when it wasn't. bad idea. never guess a three. So, bottom line, the evaluator got this one wrong. In this play the only thing both officials should be watching is the ball, because the only play is the shot, do to the time.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Lead takes the 3 on a "fast break." Seems close enough here to be justified.

Bottom line - on a last second shot, get it right.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Lead takes the 3 on a "fast break." Seems close enough here to be justified.
Close enough, and also at a better angle. The trail is behind where there's no way to tell the relationship between the Keds and the line.

Rodego -- One thing you can do next time, is to quickly discuss possibilities during the time out. You KNOW B is going to try for a 3. You discuss with partner, let's be sure we make eye-contact, be sure the feet are right, watch the shooter all the way back to the floor, and so on. It never hurts to agree ahead of time to make eye contact BEFORE the call so that you don't have to wave something off.

By the way, snaps to your partner for taking your word for it, and not letting his ego get in the way.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what's been said. Bad job by the evaluator not to jump on T. Good job by your partner to accept your better view. Bad job by your partner, out of position. Stay out of paint extended. Get the call right.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Now I get flack from our evaluator saying that "I should let the kids decide the game"
Evaluator is stoopid.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Now I get flack from our evaluator saying that "I should let the kids decide the game"
Evaluator is stoopid.
Exactly! The kid who took the shot while stepping on the line decided the game. What more can you ask for?
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 09:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Thanks
EVERYONE videotapes these games these days. How could the evaluator possibly advocate knowingly allowing a wrong call, especially knowing that no matter the call the truth will likely show up on film?

This evaluator probably believes in not calling fouls in the last minute and using make up calls to "even out" mistakes. Ugh.