Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Exclamation Agreed!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
At first, I thought it was a foul.

Then I realized the contact was after the tap, no one was hurt, and no advantage was gained (couldn't be a rebound on that shot).

Jim Burr got it right with less than half a second to think it over.
I believe that contact was there before the tip, and was maintained throughout the tip. There was an advantage gained - the defense gained an advantage by illegally contacting an opponent, who became a shooter. Do I think the shot was affected? Can't say from the TV angle. The possible absense of a rebound means nothing, in my mind, of whether a shooter was fouled or not. Say the contact was a little bit harder. There would still be no rebound, but you might call that foul.

I understand the philosophy of having a no-call, however, where do we draw the line? Do we allow the shooter to be clotheslined? Of course not. But Mr. Burr passed on the contact that surely would have been called at a different time in the game.
Unlike many others in this thread, I think it should have been called a foul! As pointed out above, the defender DID gain an advantage by all the contact he initiated...THROUGHOUT THE PLAY! Sometimes we have to have the guts to no-call a close one...and sometimes we have to have the 'nads to make the call on a close one. I think someone should have had a call here!!