The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
When are the networks going to wise up and hire a former official to work these broadcasts? Most of us have played, some of us have coached, and all of us know the rules better than almost any player or coach.

We have all seen enough ball to know the nuances of the game well enough to comment on strategy.

At least with a ref on the tube we would not hear the constant, "He got called for the reach,there Jim."
Something tells me that the guys who would get hired to do these games would be the same refs who actually call "over the back," "reaching," "hack," and travel on an inbounds violation.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ok St. vs. Memphis, 11:00 mark (or so) in 1st half, Ok St, player swats layup attempt off the backboard while the ball is on the way up.

Announcer says, "There won't be any basket interfence on that."

I will insert the announcer names after they identifiy themselves. They all sound alike at this point.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down "Bad Call"

Watching NC State - Vandy, not sure who the announcer was with this.

Vanderbilt gets a steal (down 6 with 2 or so to go), running to the basket, State gets a foul on the breakaway, called an intentional.

Announcers claim that the offensive player ran into the defender's path (at least he didn't claim it should have been a team control foul). When you look on the replay, though, the NC State player put his hand on the dribblers' shoulder, and pulled the guy down from behind.

If that's not intentional, I don't know what is.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

KU Pregame

This was on the jayhawk radio network as I was forced to listen to the game on the radio as my better half (wife) wanted to run some "errands"

N-E-Way, I am not sure who the guys are but they were talking about how Wayne Simien reinjured his groin when he slipped the other night against UIC. The broadcaster says, "It is the officials job to make sure that the floor isn't slick." WHAT? I know for a fact that isn't in the officials manual.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Watching NC State - Vandy, not sure who the announcer was with this.

Vanderbilt gets a steal (down 6 with 2 or so to go), running to the basket, State gets a foul on the breakaway, called an intentional.

Announcers claim that the offensive player ran into the defender's path (at least he didn't claim it should have been a team control foul). When you look on the replay, though, the NC State player put his hand on the dribblers' shoulder, and pulled the guy down from behind.

If that's not intentional, I don't know what is.
I could be wrong, but I believe the analyst was Len Elmore. I am 99% sure the PBP guy was Gus Johnson, and I believe it was Elmore who immediately said "Bad call" when the intentional foul was called.

I was appalled both as an official (of only a couple of months) and a broadcaster (of many years).

The guy couldn't have been doing anything but just fouling the offensive player to foul him - and since Stupid Foul isn't in the rule book, Intentional Foul will have to do.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA would be wise at tourney time to do what the NFL does now for all of their games. Put Hank Nichols and some officiating supervisors in a "war room" with all of the games televised and make a hotline available between the annonucing crews and the war room for all unusual situations that require a rules explanation or interpretation.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I could be wrong, but I believe the analyst was Len Elmore. I am 99% sure the PBP guy was Gus Johnson, and I believe it was Elmore who immediately said "Bad call" when the intentional foul was called.

I was appalled both as an official (of only a couple of months) and a broadcaster (of many years).

The guy couldn't have been doing anything but just fouling the offensive player to foul him - and since Stupid Foul isn't in the rule book, Intentional Foul will have to do.
It was. Mr. Vitale said in an interview on sportscenter that he totally agreed with Mr. Elmore!
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question Who????????

Can anybody tell me who likes these announcers?? How do they get their assignments??? Packer is one of the worst announcers in the history of TV broadcasting...yet he gets the prestigious assignment of the NCAA tournament?? I'm truly baffled every single year this guy gets re-hired to butcher up the tournament yet again!!!

How can this guy continue to get hired when he is SO BAD!!!!!!!????????
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Who????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Can anybody tell me who likes these announcers?? How do they get their assignments??? Packer is one of the worst announcers in the history of TV broadcasting...yet he gets the prestigious assignment of the NCAA tournament?? I'm truly baffled every single year this guy gets re-hired to butcher up the tournament yet again!!!

How can this guy continue to get hired when he is SO BAD!!!!!!!????????
What I wonder is why the coaches put up with it. Packer is just as dorky about coaching strategy and psychology as he is about reffing, isn't he? I'd think even if the networks wouldn't listen to the refs, they'd heed the coaches.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Packer bashing

Bill Simmons wrote this article for ESPN, but it could have been stolen from BktBallRef.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040323

When Jim Nantz jokingly asked Billy Packer if he would give Wake Forest a pep talk before Thursday's St. Joe's game, did I really hear Packer shoot him down with the words, "I try not to interject myself with specific teams"?

1. If Packer is really trying not to "interject" himself with specific teams, why does he manage to interject himself into some sort of ruckus every year?

2. Why would Packer take the St. Joe's-Wake Forest assignment when he knows his presence will cast a shadow on the game? Is there a bigger possible interjection?

3. If Billy Packer disappeared from the NCAAs tomorrow, would you miss him?

All of the above is great but then we get:

"2. I threw the Gonzaga-Nevada game in nearly every one of my Saturday parlays, thinking the Zags' money line was a lock. Within 10 minutes, I locked out. It was a classic "No F*****g Way Game" out of the "Madden" video series, the one where you're down 21-0 to the computer before you even know what happened.

It was unbelievable. Turiaf picked up two fouls in 150 seconds. Stepp started out 2 for 10. Some skinny white dude on Nevada started draining fallaway threes. The officiating was so impossibly one-sided, I actually called one of my friends to make sure the back spasms weren't causing me to hallucinate. I've never seen anything like it. Even Dick Bavetta must have been embarrassed."

"And yes, I'm headed to Vegas this weekend -- bad back and all. Hell, I may even gamble with real money. Stay tuned.)"

Hey, so am I maybe I'll find this clown and give him a piece of my mind.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Packer in the Pitt/OSU game, after Krauser picks up his 2nd foul late in the 1st half on a PC, says something about the defender putting one foot on the baseline. I have no idea what the NCAA book says on this, but I know that we are never going to get this new rule accepted in HS.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Mar 25th, 2004 at 07:19 PM]
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Packer bashing

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Bill Simmons wrote this article for ESPN, but it could have been stolen from BktBallRef.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040323

blah blah
Soooo...uhmmmmm...wtf are you talking about?
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Packer in the Pitt/OSU game, after Krauser picks up his 2nd foul late in the 1st half on a PC, says something about the defender putting one foot on the baseline. I have no idea what the NCAA book says on this, but I know that we are never going to get this new rule accepted in HS.

It already is a HS rule: Rule 4.23.2(a) states that in order to obtain legal guarding position a guard must have both feet touching the playing court. I don't know what the NCAA rule is, nor did I see the play, but this is an editorial change that was adopted this year in NFHS.

Hopefully this post doesn't qualify as a defense of Billy Packer
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if I heard it right because I was in a loud room, but it sounded like, in the Pitt-OSU game, after a clean block by an OSU player on a drive to the hoop, that Packer said that it should have been a foul because the defender was beat and he "reached in," even though there was no contact. I almost fell out of my chair, did he actually say this or am I mishearing him.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Quote:

It already is a HS rule: Rule 4.23.2(a) states that in order to obtain legal guarding position a guard must have both feet touching the playing court. I don't know what the NCAA rule is, nor did I see the play, but this is an editorial change that was adopted this year in NFHS.

Hopefully this post doesn't qualify as a defense of Billy Packer
Everyone on this board knows it is a new HS rule. You just misunderstood my meaning, which was that with people like Packer out there still preaching for the defender to put a foot on the line, it will be next to impossible for us to get the fans, coaches, etc., to accept our calling it the new/correct way.