The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

St. Joe's beats Wake, 84-80. Billy Packer eats his pizza.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 01:00am
We don't rent pigs

dividing by 3

Some day I expect to see Team A miss a free throw that would have put them up by 34 and hear Billy Packer announce
"That's a big one, because now it's still an 11 possession game."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world. I think they keep him.. cuz he is a familiar voice.. and he doesn't really get in the way of watching the game. Think what it would be like listening to some "other" voice.. with the same mistakes packer makes. I think letters to CBS would follow. Heck for that matter, I'd "guess" alot of the tournament officials are selected for the same reason... they have been there, they know the calls that need to be made, and they are not gonna mess up the game on national tv. Anyhow, players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, so do announcers.. and his are compounded.. cuz he's an easy target. I'd venture to say.. he's tryin real hard and likely knowingly does some things for ratings (ie St Joe's coach thing). Controversial statements on plays.. it's all about ratings.. and apparently he gets the job done in that area.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world. I think they keep him.. cuz he is a familiar voice.. and he doesn't really get in the way of watching the game. Think what it would be like listening to some "other" voice.. with the same mistakes packer makes. I think letters to CBS would follow. Heck for that matter, I'd "guess" alot of the tournament officials are selected for the same reason... they have been there, they know the calls that need to be made, and they are not gonna mess up the game on national tv. Anyhow, players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, so do announcers.. and his are compounded.. cuz he's an easy target. I'd venture to say.. he's tryin real hard and likely knowingly does some things for ratings (ie St Joe's coach thing). Controversial statements on plays.. it's all about ratings.. and apparently he gets the job done in that area.
Is it asking too much for him to read a rule book for once in his life?... I mean, he played NCAA basketball for goodness sakes.

We all make mistakes, but we also do whatever we can to be prepared for our games. His lack of rule knowledge shows me that he isn't willing to put in the time to be properly prepared.

Z
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world.
Really? Then who is?
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Too be honest.. i'm not a big fan of the female that does the Men's stuff. Don't know her name.. but, just tough to listen to her.. doing a men's game. It's not a female thing.. just don't enjoy listening.
Tough to think of someone worse than packer.. but, im sure there is someone spouting BS out there.. worse than he.
I'd have to say Bilas is the best... just for the record. Nance doing golf is very very good.. basketball not his calling.. but, he's ok.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref, you're right, I misunderstood what you were saying as I thought I had.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I think the one announcer that has gotten on my nerves the most is Bill Raftery with his man to man defense. I am waiting for him to leave for a bit to change his pants.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: dividing by 3

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Some day I expect to see Team A miss a free throw that would have put them up by 34 and hear Billy Packer announce
"That's a big one, because now it's still an 11 possession game."
Good thing he's not doing Illinois-Duke, with Illinois up 13-11, it would have been a 0.667 posession game!
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

IMHO - the best commentator ever was Rick Barry. He used to work NBA games on TBS. Unfortunately, he was way to sophisticated for the average fan so he didn't last too long.

He gave me an insight into the game that changed my whole perspective. Kind of like Earl Strom's book.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world.
Really? Then who is?
Without question, Bill Walton. I think he was the most grating voice, and the most idiotic commentator I've ever heard.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

[B]Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner![/B]

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker(about the worst commentator in hoops)

Without question, Bill Walton. I think he was the most grating voice, and the most idiotic commentator I've ever heard.
Wow, it's not even close. Walton rolls over his competition like Jordanian Bulls. Walton would have to be the preseason, mid-season, post-season, and off-season pick for #1.

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ref goes to the monitor in the Duke-Xavier game to correct a two point shot that was originally called a three.

Announcer, after the call is corrected: "It's good to see Mike Kitts get one right."
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I guess rainmaker and I are the only ones watching the women's games (more drama, great storylines, better play execution) but here's one I could hardly believe:

Ann Meyers, who has a basketball resume as long as her arm, doing the Penn State-Notre Dame game, says about a player who shot an airball and caught "last time I checked, that was a travel, wasn't it"? Then Mike Patrick (football guy, so we'll forgive him) agrees!
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Ann Meyers, who has a basketball resume as long as her arm, doing the Penn State-Notre Dame game, says about a player who shot an airball and caught "last time I checked, that was a travel, wasn't it"? Then Mike Patrick (football guy, so we'll forgive him) agrees!
She's my nomination for a close second behind Walton as the worst announcer of all time. She's another one that's always second guessing coaches, and even programs with remarks like "I doubt she'll have her job another season" and "She's just never been able to get her players to finish that play." Why in the world they keep her, I have no comprehension. I think Stacy Dales-Shuman is a little dim, but she's basically positive and safe. She doesn't have that jock edge to her voice though..

PS to Pa Coach: I'm not watching them now, since I don't have cable. I'll see them in a day or two, after my friend gets me the tapes.