View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Watching NC State - Vandy, not sure who the announcer was with this.

Vanderbilt gets a steal (down 6 with 2 or so to go), running to the basket, State gets a foul on the breakaway, called an intentional.

Announcers claim that the offensive player ran into the defender's path (at least he didn't claim it should have been a team control foul). When you look on the replay, though, the NC State player put his hand on the dribblers' shoulder, and pulled the guy down from behind.

If that's not intentional, I don't know what is.
I could be wrong, but I believe the analyst was Len Elmore. I am 99% sure the PBP guy was Gus Johnson, and I believe it was Elmore who immediately said "Bad call" when the intentional foul was called.

I was appalled both as an official (of only a couple of months) and a broadcaster (of many years).

The guy couldn't have been doing anything but just fouling the offensive player to foul him - and since Stupid Foul isn't in the rule book, Intentional Foul will have to do.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.