The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Announcer Babble (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12770-announcer-babble.html)

Nevadaref Thu Mar 18, 2004 05:16pm

Last year we had a fun thread on the stupid comments the announcers made, so I thought I'd start another one this year.

To tip it off:
One of the commentators on the Wake/VCU game attempted to explain the rule about the clock stopping on made baskets in the last minute of the 2nd half. Wake scored to take a 75-73 lead with 1:04 on the clock. The game clock continued to run, correctly, as VCU tried to inbound. He first commented that the clock couldn't run below 1:00 while they were inbounding. VCU then excuted an inbounds pass and their coach called a TO. The clock continued to run after the whistle for the TO for a couple of seconds. Upon looking at the monitor the officials reset it to 59.8 seconds.
He justified this by saying that's .2 for the human element, you have to allow for the timer to stop the clock.
That's the human element there.

Mark Dexter Thu Mar 18, 2004 05:37pm

I had originally put this in the "Tourney Officials" thread:

Only 2:09 into his first game (UMD-UTEP), and Billy Packer has already blown an interpretation. Clear BI (both hitting the net and smacking the ball out of the cylinder) by UMD - Packer starts going on about how "the ball was on its way up" and "the ball had no chance of going in."

Of course, we know neither is a requirement for BI but, more importantly, the ball had a pretty damn good chance of going in on a bounce.

TriggerMN Thu Mar 18, 2004 05:49pm

What actually happened in this situation that the official were looking at the monitor was that the clock stopped when an official whistled for a time-out, then accidentally was started again and ran for about 1.5 seconds, then stopped again. This timing error had nothing to do with the basket made with 1:05 left.

Mark Dexter Thu Mar 18, 2004 06:19pm

In reference to Steve Welmer:

"The Arnold Palmer of college referees - always adjusting his pants."

Nevadaref Thu Mar 18, 2004 07:40pm

the airball travel myth

Nevada's first shot was an airball from about 5 feet. The shooter runs it down and steps on the end line while trying to make a save. Ian Eagle says, "I don't know if he can touch that ball." After the official blows the whistle to call the OOB violation, not a travel. His partner, Jim Spanarkle, replies, "He can't."

[Edited by Nevadaref on Mar 18th, 2004 at 07:11 PM]

Nevadaref Thu Mar 18, 2004 08:09pm

Same game, after a block/charge call that correctly went for MSU and really wasn't that close, announcer says, "You have to give the offensive player the right of way when he is going to the basket aggressively. He gets the benefit of the doubt."
Huh?

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

There was a comment from the announcers that they were going to start a Welmer count. How many times durnig the game will he fix his pants.

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:29am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

There was a comment from the announcers that they were going to start a Welmer count. How many times durnig the game will he fix his pants.

:D

I only have 20 fingers and toes! Can we go per 4 minute media timeout break???

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:31am

Timeouts

In regard to the 0.4 on the clock at the end of Dayton/DePaul OT1 - rebound was at about 1.2, you can see the hand go up at 0.3 to grant the timeout, Duke Edsall reset the clock to 0.4.

Billy Packer starts saying that the clock should be around 1 second because that's when THE REQUEST was made!

To heck with a tape of Howler Monkeys, I think a tape of Billy Packer would be better to use for training.

ChuckElias Fri Mar 19, 2004 06:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
One of the commentators on the Wake/VCU game attempted to explain the rule about the clock stopping on made baskets in the last minute of the 2nd half. Wake scored to take a 75-73 lead with 1:04 on the clock. The game clock continued to run, correctly, as VCU tried to inbound. He first commented that the clock couldn't run below 1:00 while they were inbounding.
Not that it's really relevant to this thread, but in the NBA, that really is the rule. The clock stops any time the ball is not in play during the last minute of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters or during the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or any OT period.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 01:51pm

Quiet day on Friday - I suspect this thread will be busy today with Billy Packer's pod back in action . . .

Got the first one from the women's tourney today. During the Chatanooga/Rutgers game, shot goes over the backboard (maybe - the camera angle didn't show well whether it was over the board or not), and the announcer says that that's legal - "It can go over the backboard, it just can't touch the top."

Glad to see the women's tourney has its share of Packers. :rolleyes:

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 07:29pm

Syracuse/UMD

Syracuse player gets called for a team control foul:

Packer: "Uh - there's an illegal handoff right there."
Nantz: "And that's his third."

Is my rulebook missing pages?

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 08:01pm

Syracuse redux

UMD player fouls out.

Nantz: "With no timeouts, this gives them sixty seconds to talk things over."

:rolleyes:

blindzebra Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:46pm

When are the networks going to wise up and hire a former official to work these broadcasts? Most of us have played, some of us have coached, and all of us know the rules better than almost any player or coach.

We have all seen enough ball to know the nuances of the game well enough to comment on strategy.

At least with a ref on the tube we would not hear the constant, "He got called for the reach,there Jim."

rainmaker Sun Mar 21, 2004 01:27am

Quote:

Got the first one from the women's tourney today. During the Chatanooga/Rutgers game, shot goes over the backboard (maybe - the camera angle didn't show well whether it was over the board or not), and the announcer says that that's legal - "It can go over the backboard, it just can't touch the top."

Glad to see the women's tourney has its share of Packers. :rolleyes:

Ann Meyers. I'm not sure who's worse.