The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this play last Sunday in a women's college game and it brought up some interesting conversations during our pregame at my sub-state games this past weekend. It happened in a game between SW Mo. State, I'll call them A, and Indiana State, B.

Sitch-Player A drives towards the basket and towards B1, who is in very obvious legal guarding postion and ready to take a charge. A1 leaves her feet and is about to pick up a charging foul when, just before she creams B1, B2 hacks her hard on the arm. The bucket goes in. A1 continues on and rams into B1. What is the call? I'll let some discussion go, before I give their answer.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Sitch-Player A drives towards the basket and towards B1, who is in very obvious legal guarding postion and ready to take a charge. A1 leaves her feet and is about to pick up a charging foul when, just before she creams B1, B2 hacks her hard on the arm. The bucket goes in. A1 continues on and rams into B1. What is the call? I'll let some discussion go, before I give their answer.
Common foul on B2, PC foul on A1, wipe the basket, A1 shoots 2 with players in the lane, resume from there as normal. No FTs for B even if in the bonus.

How'd I do?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Common foul on B2, PC foul on A1, wipe the basket, A1 shoots 2 with players in the lane, resume from there as normal. No FTs for B even if in the bonus.

How'd I do?
That's what I have too.

Under ncaa men you count the basket and A1 gets 1 FT.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw this play last Sunday in a women's college game and it brought up some interesting conversations during our pregame at my sub-state games this past weekend. It happened in a game between SW Mo. State, I'll call them A, and Indiana State, B.

Option A) The hack caused the charge -- enforce that foul only (good basket, shoot 1 throw)

Option B) Both fouls are called. Wipe off the basket, A shoots two throws with no one on the line, B gets the ball at the end-line after the throws -- can run if the seond throw is good, spot throw-in if the second throw is not good.

Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 02:26pm
Huck Finn

Shooting foul one free throw.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Count the basket, shoot 1 FT. The girl was under the basket so can't have a PC coming from the front of the basket. Just guessing.

[Edited by Bart Tyson on Mar 8th, 2004 at 02:30 PM]
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Only in NCAA Mens.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Only in NCAA Mens.
I don't understand what you are saying. I think at all levels, If the shooter gets fouled in the act, and the basket counts, we shot one.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Only in NCAA Mens.
I don't understand what you are saying. I think at all levels, If the shooter gets fouled in the act, and the basket counts, we shot one.
It's the "airborne shooter" difference -- and it's unclear (at least to my reading) whether it would apply in the original situation (had it been a men's game).
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 03:35pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Defender under the backboard only applies if the ballhandler is behind the backboard. If ballhandler is in front, there's no restriction on where the defender is standing. So, in this situation, I would agree with Jenkins' two options. Judge the hack first before calling the player control.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I think at all levels, If the shooter gets fouled in the act, and the basket counts, we shot one.
Not if we have a blarge
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
This one very rarely gets called even when it appears to be very clear cut. A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent. (NFHS 4.19.8, NCAAW 4.26.12)

In this scenario, the clock stops when the offical blows the whistle for the first foul on B1. However, even though the clock is stopped, the ball is live. When A1 charges into B2, a foul has been committed before the clock is started following the first foul thus meeting the definition of a false double foul.

You wave off the basket due to the player control foul.

There is a foul on B1 with A1 shooting two free throws.

There is also a foul on A1 that is a player control foul.

In NFHS and NCAAW, clear the lane and shoot both free throws. Team B gets the throw-in along the base line with the freedom to move the base line.

Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Defender under the backboard only applies if the ballhandler is behind the backboard. If ballhandler is in front, there's no restriction on where the defender is standing. So, in this situation, I would agree with Jenkins' two options. Judge the hack first before calling the player control.
What level is this from? In Women's, its from the front.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
What level is this from? In Women's, its from the front.
Gotta agree with Bart on this - NCAAW, can't take a charge directly under the basket unless the drive is parallel to the backboard - not sure what Welsch is talking about...
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:49pm
Huck Finn

Chayce, good post but how is the foul on B1 when B1 is the defender that takes the charge? Also, how do you come up with two shots for A1 if you don't count the basket? I agree with the false double foul though. I don't have a rule book here so I'm all ears.