The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I had the game from hell. It is a playoff game and one team goes home. I have done the girls game before and the table is terrible. I tell the boys coach that his table is terrible and that I don't want to hear a lot complaints about shot clock fouls game clock and other table related problems. At one point in the second half we have a player that has supposedly fouled out on the other team. I go to the bench and the table has 5 fouls but one is scratched out because the other coach told the table to do it and they did. We don’t know whether they recorded the T because they just put slashes for fouls. To make a long story short the distractions keep going with 3 or 4 stoppages in play to sort things out. On the 10th foul I award 2 shots I have been following the foul most of the way and they have been going up right I think. The player misses the first one and makes the second. The other team gets the ball and goes down and scores. The ball comes back and is checked out of bounds and the table then says that there is another mistake and it was only the ninth foul what do we do now.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 12:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Tell them thanks for the info, and go put the ball back in play...it's too late to correct the error...finish the game, get out of there and let your assignor/board know about the table crew so it can be discussed with the AD...
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Oh boy, what a mess. Ever thought about removing the table crew and getting new people?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant
what do we do now.
Find Mickey, Minnie and the rest of the gang. You already know where Goofy and Dumbo are.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I wanted help not jokes. is it corectable let say the bal hadnt become dead yet
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Rockyroad wasn't joking. That is exactly what you do.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

again if we hadnt got to the second dead ball then what. Do we count the basket how do we start play again
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 03:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
again if we hadnt got to the second dead ball then what. Do we count the basket how do we start play again
What second dead ball? That's got nothing to do with how a correctable error is handled.

I think that you need to review the procedure. Pull out your rule book and read rule 2-10-2. You can't correct it after the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. That means that you could have corrected this play up to the ball become available to the team throwing it in after the first basket was made. That was the first dead ball. When that dead ball period is over, fuggedaboutit. You can't change anything.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
[B]To make a long story short the distractions keep going with 3 or 4 stoppages in play to sort things out. On the 10th foul I award 2 shots I have been following the foul most of the way and they have been going up right I think. The player misses the first one and makes the second. The other team gets the ball and goes down and scores. [B]
You need to catch it at this point, before the ball is available for the throwin. Let's say A1 shot the free throws. B1 makes the basket, and A2 is going do the throw in following B1's basket.
The error must be caught before the ball is at A2's disposal. If it's caught there, you take away one point from A (for the erroneous free throw) and give A the ball for an endline throw in under B's basket (the point of interruption.)

Adam
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Grant...

Jurassic's bang-on. You have until the first dead ball, then it's a moot point.

In your case, as JR said, forget about it. And do what you can to make sure that the next time that table crew sees a basketball game, their asses are in the stands, not at the score table.

BTW, lighten up a bit. These guys joke a lot, but they are an absolute bottomless well of information.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
I wanted help not jokes. is it corectable let say the bal hadnt become dead yet
Chill out, dude.

Quite honestly, if you can't read the rule book and know the answer to that quesion, you probably shouldn't have been on the floor for a playoff game.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Quite honestly, if you can't read the rule book and know the answer to that quesion, you probably shouldn't have been on the floor for a playoff game.
Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner!
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

OOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner!

When I read this I said OOOOOHHHHH!!

Whenever I would ask my mentor a question, his reply would always be "what does the book say"! What I learned from that was, KNOW THE RULES!! You can't go wrong!

Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

When all else fails........
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 02:39pm
Huck Finn

Caaaaaaaaaan Yoooooooooooooouuuuuu Dig iiiiiiiiiiiiit?