The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink my 2 cents

* use two hands when you get to the NBA.

* flipping is for the bird(s)

Seriously:

* If you need to point to the bench to clarify your call, then you may not be clear enough at the spot of the foul. Either bird-dog, or use your voice and mechanics more assertively.

* Get to a spot in the world-famous "reporting area" where you can effectively communicate to the scorer (the 3rd member of your crew!)

Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Few Points from the Table

(1) Hopefully (unfortunately, this is a BIG hopefully), you have scorers who have a pretty good idea who fouled, but actually listen to the R or U before writing anything down.

(2) Personally, I prefer color, whole #, then digits while flashing fingers (either flipping or closing hand between).
Ex: Red, 31, 3-1.

(3) Similar to #1, hopefully you also have good eye contact with the scorers (or maybe I should say the scorers have good eye contact with the officials), and they give a little nod once everything is understood.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Getting the message through...

Speaking now as a grizzled "Keeper of the Book," -- and not as a floor official -- I give high marks to BktBallRef, Padgett, mikeref, and mick for their comments regarding communication with the scorekeeper.

Specifically, closing the hand between numbers, combined with a forceful voice, and a verbalization of "forty-two" rather than (or in addition to) "four - two" are all superb aids to clarity.

Putting the hand signal just outside and slightly in front of the torso is another excellent technique. It is much more difficult for me to discern the number of fingers being held up if the hand is in front of the stripes. (And not just because by eyes aren't as good as they used to be

Last week, an official of the old school pointed to the offender's bench while stating the color as he reported the foul. Threw me off a moment as I hadn't seen that in some years. And even though it's no longer part of the recommended mechanics (too accusatory?), it certainly left no doubt as to which team the offender played for.

Sven
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Never point to the bench.
As Ed Cartotto, IAABO Visualization Committee Head, and longtime Big East offical stated, "everyone in the gym knows what team the foul is on and now the official wants to point to the bench, many times while the coach is standing right in the front of the bench, and tell everyone again? Another way to create tension between coaches and officials."
Many coaches go ballistic when this happens.
Use the color first, then the number. The scorers and timers understand English!
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bsilliman
As Ed Cartotto, IAABO Visualization Committee Head, and longtime Big East offical stated, "everyone in the gym knows what team the foul is on ...
Maybe in the Big East Conference everybody does, but NOT in Jr Hi and Freshman. I can't tell you how many times I bird-dog, tell the number and color at the spot, then repeat the whole spiel with perfect (okay, acceptable!) mechanics, and then get to the in-bounds spot and have the wrong color player there. When the coach catches on he shouts, "What?!?!? What?!?!? That was not an offensive foul.." and so on. Yes coach, I have shouted gold three times now and you didn't hear any of them? Then the player, ME/?!?! That foul was on me?!?!? Merciful Heavens, girl, learn to listen.
I'm not saying I point at the bench when I report or even that we should, because the reason these folks are so surprised at not getting the ball back, is because they weren't paying attention.
I'm just pointing out that it's not true that everyone always knows who the foul is on.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bsilliman
As Ed Cartotto, IAABO Visualization Committee Head, and longtime Big East offical stated, "everyone in the gym knows what team the foul is on ...
Maybe in the Big East Conference everybody does, but NOT in Jr Hi and Freshman. I can't tell you how many times I bird-dog, tell the number and color at the spot, then repeat the whole spiel with perfect (okay, acceptable!) mechanics, and then get to the in-bounds spot and have the wrong color player there.
Hmmm, might be because you're not giving the preliminary
indications properly at the foul spot? Do you verbalize
the color and number of the fouler, point the ball direction
and throw-in spot? Do you do this clearly & slowly? If not
then this could explan the trouble you seem to be having.
Just a suggestion.

-Dan
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
... and then get to the in-bounds spot and have the wrong color player there.
What? You mean the first player to get there doesn't get to in-bound the ball?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Hmmm, might be because you're not giving the preliminary
indications properly at the foul spot? Do you verbalize
the color and number of the fouler, point the ball direction
and throw-in spot? Do you do this clearly & slowly?
Well, I think sometimes this is a problem for me, but I've been doing better on it this season. These younger kids, and their coaches, do not always pay attention, though and sometimes the best mechanics in the world don't get through. I think a lot of times the players don't know their own numbers, so when I say it, it doesn't sink in. Also, in a noisy gym shouting the color doesn't always get through. I know there are times when I can't understand what my partner is saying...
Old Sat Dec 23, 2000, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Quote:
... and then get to the in-bounds spot and have the wrong color player there.
What? You mean the first player to get there doesn't get to in-bound the ball?
Must be one of those NBA rules that has trickled-down.