View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 11:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I've started verbalizing the number this year as opposed to the digits. In other words, 42 is "forty-two," not "four, two." Studies have supposedly shown that it's easier for the scorer to understand. Go figure!

Here's the reason to call the color first, then the number as forty-two, not four two. The scorer has two sides to his book, each side representing a color. We give the color first, because the first thing a scorer wants to know is which side of the book he will be marking. Then, if you give just the first digit of a two digit number, followed by the second digit separately, he may mark the foul down for a player who has only that first digit in haste. If the number is forty-two and you say four two, he may give the foul to number four and not pay attention to the second digit. If you say forty-two, as soon as you say forty, he is more likely not to give the foul to anyone other than forty-two, even though a team may have a number forty, because you say the forty-two without a pause, while you pause between numbers in saying four two. This is especially true with numbers from 10 through 15 (except maybe 14, since it starts with the four sound).

At least that's what I was told at a camp.