View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Getting the message through...

Speaking now as a grizzled "Keeper of the Book," -- and not as a floor official -- I give high marks to BktBallRef, Padgett, mikeref, and mick for their comments regarding communication with the scorekeeper.

Specifically, closing the hand between numbers, combined with a forceful voice, and a verbalization of "forty-two" rather than (or in addition to) "four - two" are all superb aids to clarity.

Putting the hand signal just outside and slightly in front of the torso is another excellent technique. It is much more difficult for me to discern the number of fingers being held up if the hand is in front of the stripes. (And not just because by eyes aren't as good as they used to be

Last week, an official of the old school pointed to the offender's bench while stating the color as he reported the foul. Threw me off a moment as I hadn't seen that in some years. And even though it's no longer part of the recommended mechanics (too accusatory?), it certainly left no doubt as to which team the offender played for.

Sven