The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

What can I do to move up the ranking it is so political here where am at and in order for u to move up is like the old saying "It's not what u know its who u know" and I feel like I am getting past up to the varsity level because I don't hang out with these veteran officials so therefore my chance of getting to the college level is very slim since I have very little varsity games under my belt but I do have evauluation sheets from varsity officials who say I'm good enough to moved up but never do they try to help me move up.
So can anyone help me out in what I can do?
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Hang out with the veteran officials.

Mregor
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board.

Start hanging out with "these veteran officials." Get to know them. Find one who's willing to mentor you. And don't assume that you're being passed over because of politics. You may feel you're ready for varsity but others may not. We have a lot of guys in our association who feel the same way. But I've seen many of them work and while they think they are ready, they aren't.

BTW, please include some punctuation in your posts so that we can read them.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Moving up

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Welcome to the board.

BTW, please include some punctuation in your posts so that we can read them.
Those are what you call run-on sentences. They need to be cut off.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

It has been my experience that the "politics" argument is used by those officials who are unhappy with their ranking and aren't willing to go to the time and effort of really figuring out why they aren't moving up.

If you are as lazy on the floor as you are with your spelling and punctuation, you aren't ready.

Z
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
It has been my experience that the "politics" argument is used by those officials who are unhappy with their ranking and aren't willing to go to the time and effort of really figuring out why they aren't moving up.

If you are as lazy on the floor as you are with your spelling and punctuation, you aren't ready.
Well put. What is your beef with the veterans? Why not hang out with these guys? They have tons of interesting stories and situations that could be of value to you.

...but I guess if you feel that you have nothing to learn from them that must say something about your ability to learn and move up.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 12:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Two thoughts: #1)Sometimes you gotta play the game by the rules set by those in power (the "upper guys"), so start hanging out with them, work some summer games with them, etc...#2)HS Varsity experience usually has very little to do with working college ball - go to some college camps and work games in front of some college supervisors - if they like the way you work, they will hire you (esp. at the small college level).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Moving up

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
It is political and you all know it. The association I belong to moved a new official to a full varsity schedule after only two years on the board. He was the son of the president of the association. My advice to xxssmen, after you brush up on your writing skills, learn how to BN- that is, if you are as good as your evaluators say you are-which by the way will be the indivduals that you are "leap frogging" over.(Look at it this way, would you like somebody "leap frogging" over you?) My experience in this avocation has been that someone with alot of personality seems to do very well because of the social interaction it requires to be judgmental without it seeming to be. Or in other words, the "my way or the highway"
mentality, seems to work against you as you move up. But, as you intimated before, it does help to know someone (as in mentor).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Moving up

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Quote:
It is political and you all know it. The association I belong to moved a new official to a full varsity schedule after only two years on the board. He was the son of the president of the association.
No I don't know it. Quite the contrary.
I do not know what the political situation is where you live, but I know what I have seen in my association. The good officials get promoted, regardless of who they are related to or who they know. I have never gone to the "Friday night beer and pizza" get togethers but that certainly hasn't hurt me. Is it not possible that the son of the president is a good official? He makes an easy target for those who aren't rated where they think they should be.

Z
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Moving up

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No I don't know it.
Z
The assignor of the board announced at a meeting that the only way someone would move up in association would be if one of the
"better" officials died.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Moving up

Quote:
The assignor of the board announced at a meeting that the only way someone would move up in association would be if one of the
"better" officials died. [/B]
If that was really said, you have one of two possibilities.

1) He/she was joking.
2) If he/she was serious, that's obviously unethical and should be reported to your state's officials office.

Z
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Is this not somewhat true?

Quote:

1) He/she was joking.
2) If he/she was serious, that's obviously unethical and should be reported to your state's officials office.

Z
Why is that unethical? If they hire someone new, someone has to be put aside. They either die or get fired. And I doubt a long time veteran is going to getfired at the HS level for someone that has no varsity experience.

Just a thought.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

There are definately some politics in HS associations, but with that said it should not prevent you from moving up into college. I got my 1st college contract after only working a very small amount of HS varsity games.

If you want to do college then you need to go to college camps and work on 3 person mechanics and make sure you are seen working hard by the college assignors. You should find out who the local junior college assignor is. They normaly have some spring leagues for their younger officials to work. You might not get paid to work those games but the experience would be invauluable.....

btw we need to add spell check to the board
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

I am assuming this official is a male trying to get a boys varsity game. Any advice for a female trying to get a boys varsity game?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Is this not somewhat true?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

1) He/she was joking.

Z
Why is that unethical? If they hire someone new, someone has to be put aside. They either die or get fired. And I doubt a long time veteran is going to getfired at the HS level for someone that has no varsity experience.

Just a thought.

Peace
I was referring to a high school assignor who said that nobody would ever move up unless one of the vets died. That's called status quo. That insinuates that there is no chance for advancement regardless of ability. Advancement should be through ability and officials can improve (or degrade). To make a blanket statement like that is ridiculous and IMHO, unethical. It sure wouldn't fly in my area.

Z