View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
First half of a middle school boys game. Team A scores basket, B1 inbounds to B2 who immediately turns and scores on Team A's basket. I was the new lead and nearly at midcourt after the basket is made by B2. The table looks to me and I indicate the basket is good. Meanwhile, my partner is holding the ball out of bounds and hands it to A1 (wrong team) who immediately in-bounds the ball and A2 scores.

CB 5.2.3 verifies the first basket by B1 counts, but the case also states the ball is "bounced" back to a player of Team B. Does "bounced" mean we should have had a blown whistle and stopped play? We did not.

Since my partner "handed" the ball to Team A whom then preceded to immediately score, does this basket count? I was the referee and counted the basket thinking the situation was similar to giving the ball to the wrong team after an AP, and once the ball becomes live, you live with the mistake.
I only learned this recently, but, yes, you are supposed to blow the whistle and stop the game when a player is confused and scores in the wrong basket. This is detailed on page 23 of the Simplified and Illustrated book. The text below the pictures is "Number 4 is confused and dunks the ball in B's basket. The covering official stops play after the dunk and credits the two points to Team B. Team A will then be given the ball for a throw-in from anywhere outside the end line."
There is also a picture of a whistle sounding in the upper right hand corner of the diagram.

Now I understand this to mean that you only stop the game if the basket is scored in the wrong goal due to confusion, if the ball is accidently tipped or deflected in or the act is done on purpose, then just continue as long as the correct team is proceeding with the throw-in.

Since you and your partner failed to stop the game, and your partner administered the ball to the wrong team, I think you have to eat this one. Since the this action was not done on purpose by the other team, and it certainly was not unsporting, in fact, all they did was execute a throw-in that your partner administered to them, I do not believe that by rule you can wipe the very last basket off. You correctly stated why this is the case.

However, since you guys helped make a real mess of this play, I would say try to fudge a bit and see if you can get away with taking that last basket away. Maybe say, "Coach that last basket was our fault, the fair thing to do is to cancel it. You still get the other four points, okay?"