The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Do you expect people to look back at you with fondness?

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Or that in twenty years players will look back with fondness over there relationship and the lessons they learned from the officials that worked their game. Oh wait that is not true those would be the coaches they will look back with fond memories.
What the hell are you talking about?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Must be nice to have this job

Quote:
Wow based from the reports Ive read, officials and cops have the same amount of power. Very interesting.
Of course a cop and an official do not have the same authority. But in the real world you do certain things to a cop, it might cost you your life. Do things to an official, it might cost you a game or you might not be there to see the end. And since coaching is a job to some extent (or can be at the HS level), you conduct and how it is recieved can and will affect that job. I know schools that have fired coaches for their behavior toward officials.

Quote:
It must be nice to have a job where no one is allowed make constructive comments about the job you do. Because how dare someone disagree with your authority as the official.
I do not know of too many games in any of the sports I have done where I was not questioned. When that has happen, it is so rare you can usually point out the date and the time when it happen. So critisism comes with the territory and at least by me is accepted.

Quote:
You know all and see all and your never ever wrong and of course you would never be out to get someone just to stick it to them. Oh wait you would be JRut addmitted that in another post.
You just are a punk *** coach that is complaining that things do not go your way. Well if you want to really understand what we go thru, listen. Because we are the ones that determine a lot of what you can and cannot do. I guess that bothers you.

Quote:
Ahh so you admit that you stick it to coaches for no reason and are vindictive, but at the sametime you expect respect. Hmmm somehow this does not make any sense but who knows maybe it's just me.
Coach I probably give fewer Ts than anyone on this board. I throw out fewer coaches in baseball than most. I have never thrown out a football coach in my entire career. I always listen to coaches at first. But there comes a time when what you say has little to no credibility. When coaches like yourself complain about three seconds when there are 20 shots and put backs, you lose my respect. And I do what makes coaches even more upset, just ignore you. I might give you a look and laugh a little, but I really do not give a damn about coaches that complain.

Quote:
I forgot that people pay money when they goto a basketball game to watch the officials. Or that in twenty years players will look back with fondness over there relationship and the lessons they learned from the officials that worked their game.
They don't. But when I was playing, we did not talk to official. But then again, I seen players curse out their own coaches and you guys just let it happen. But then again, you seem more afraid of the parents than we are.

Quote:
Oh wait that is not true those would be the coaches they will look back with fond memories. Hmm, all of this talk about how tough it is to be an official. Well you could always be a cop you have the same authority lol
Here is the thing, I get paid whether you like me or not. I get paid if you think I am horse$h!t or not. And even when you ban me, I usually end up in a place you never would have thought I would be. You are right, no one comes to see us, but we are usually the most constant thing in the game. Coaches get fired and fans move on when their kids grow up or the team becomes horrible. Just get used to the fact that at the end of the day, we can tell you then show you how to behave.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:09pm
BBallCoach

Jrut

Ahh I see so being an official is a power trip for you. I get it now you like having the control and being important for the first time. Now it makes sense, your not there because you love the sport, or care about kids, your there because at the end of the day you can flex your powerful muscle and remove a coach that might have a legitimate complaint that you missed some calls. Oh wait sorry I'm being logical again, officials never miss calls, they never change the flow of a game, they never win or lose a game for a team, they never get disciplined because they do not make mistakes, hmmmmm at the end of the day they are the most constant thing in basketball. Ahhh now Im starting to learn. Thank you for your wisdom J Rut!!!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

I actually feel I get the respect I deserve

I go to call the game. I am not there to win any friends. I can't make a fashion statement (double knit?). I don't thrive on positive feedback from coaches, players, or fans even though I often get it.

Respect is earned and it takes a long time to get it. This applies to any line of work, including coaching. I have learned to respect several coaches even though I don't particulary like them or their sytle. I their see players respond and perform extraordinary feats. I have also seen many very experienced officials that have not earned my respect and many that have.

Its not that I'm judgemental. It is just a comparison of my personality with theirs.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a Minute!

BBallCoach

You are relatively new in this Official's Forum. As I read your first post of this thread, I was evaluating what types of information I could use in my reply to objectively satisfy your alleged quest.

As you are aware, ref18 quickly rebuked the legitimacy/sincerity of your question. The premise of his challenge was his interpretation of your posts in previous threads. I agree that he was presumptuous, but it afforded you the opportunity to prove whether you sincerely wanted to learn the dynamics of your original post or were chosing to use it as a platform to chide officials.

Bart Tyson even "checked" Ref18's post/attitude.

Unfortunately, you opted to go the low road and make this a "broadbrushed" stab at the officials. What does that say about YOUR representation of the coaching advocation? I would argue it is not a favorable one.

Fortunately for the majority of coaches, I am able to dismiss YOUR conduct as an individual act. I refuse to paint all coaches with a vindictive brush. I try my darndest to maintain an objective perspective at all times, I suggest you do the same. The game will be better for it.

Hopefully you have learned something positive from your negative actions (comments) in this thread.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink I can see you are not going to win any titles soon.

Quote:
Ahh I see so being an official is a power trip for you.
Just goes to show why you are a coach. You are more worried about power. Because power has nothing to do with a game. Maybe to you it is, but at the end of the day, we are talking about just a game.

Quote:
I get it now you like having the control and being important for the first time. Now it makes sense, your not there because you love the sport, or care about kids, your there because at the end of the day you can flex your powerful muscle and remove a coach that might have a legitimate complaint that you missed some calls.
I can make a better point by keeping you in the game then dumping you. Whether you stay or not is up to you.

Quote:
Oh wait sorry I'm being logical again, officials never miss calls, they never change the flow of a game, they never win or lose a game for a team, they never get disciplined because they do not make mistakes, hmmmmm at the end of the day they are the most constant thing in basketball. Ahhh now Im starting to learn. Thank you for your wisdom J Rut!!!!!!!
No, I do not win or lose a game for a team. I can send you to the line, but you have to make the shots. Most calls I make or any official makes are obvious. I do not throw the ball in the stands, I just call it when it happens. I do not tell you to take on the biggest player in the game when you are the smallest player on the floor. Just like the Duke/North Carolina game, it was not the officials that let Ewing go directly to the basket. It was not the officials that keeps you from boxing out and letting easy baskets. So if you feel free to blame us for all the problems that your team has, do that. But when you get fired, like many coaches, funny I never hear the officials as for that reason. At some point you have to take complete responsiblity for you job. I probably take ten times more responsibility for my mistakes than you ever will. Because I always recognize my mistakes on the floor and try to learn from those. When you keep that player in too long that has 4 fouls, I guess it is my fault he picks up the 5th.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Bball Coach...

You are a clown.

Go stir up trouble somewhere else.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, come on!

Give me a break, Canucklehead! Why should he go stir up trouble somewhere else? I'm personally refreshed and challenged by his unique perspective. Not only that, I think he's pretty funny!

On the other hand, he seems pretty fixated with JR. How do you manage to attract them, Rut?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Oh, come on!

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
On the other hand, he seems pretty fixated with JR. How do you manage to attract them, Rut?
People like for others to tell them what they want to hear. I tell it like it is. And most do not like that. Why we have athletes that act the way they do at the pro level. They are not used to being told what to do.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
I thought this would be an interesting question to ask since I read a lot about how some coaches, fans and players don't respect officals.
Can't help you. Doesn't happen to me.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or that in twenty years players will look back with fondness over there relationship and the lessons they learned from the officials that worked their game. Oh wait that is not true those would be the coaches they will look back with fond memories.

I've been doing this long enough where players that I officiated at 10-12 years old are now playing on the varsity in high school.We have built a relationship over those years,they know me and respect me,and I've had the pleasure of watching them grow as both players and as young
men and women.

Like most of the officials who post on this forum,I am proud to have been a part of that growth.

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:14am
Administrator

Quote:

Many coaches do not know that I became a basketball official because of my H.S. basketball coach. He won 378 games against only 122 losses over 21 years, including 15 league championships (I played on two of them). My coach was very unusual in a very important aspect: He was an OhioHSAA registered basketball official and a charter member of the Trumbull County Basketball Officials Association (I have been a member since 1971) in 1948. In 32 years of officiating he is only one of five basketball coaches that I know were also basketball officials. When asked why he was a basketball official, he always said the you cannot teach the game if you do not know the rules. I graduated from Liberty H.S. in 1969 and I can tell everyone that the guarding/screening requirements are the same today as they were in the 1965-66 season, because every year we would spend an entire practice at the beginning of the season learning how to establish legal guarding positions and setting legal screens per the rule book. As a freshmen in H.S. I know what time and distance meant.

Most people in out community thought that of all of his players I would become a coach, because he was our next door neighbor and I lived basketball from the time I was nine years old, but I decided to study engineering in college and became a basketball official during my second year of college.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: Oh, come on!

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Give me a break, Canucklehead!
Canucklehead? Them's fightin words!

Quote:
Maybe we should ask Chuck and Tony about that
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 06:58am
Huck Finn

BBallcoach registered in January. His season is probably in the can and he has probably been T'd up a couple of times. He was looking for a fight from the start. He should probably look at other coaches for his answers instead of us. Coach you should know there are many type of coaches:

A-holes - loud and ignorant from the start
Jerks - start quietly and end up A-holes
Charmers
X and O guys with no communication skills
X and O guys that are also charmers - my favorite but a rare breed
Bully - my second favorite, puts me in "wish" mode

JRUT touched on an A-hole, a coach that yells "3 seconds" during 20 attempts at the same basket. That is just ignorant and a sign that the coach does not know the rules.

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Oh, come on!

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Maybe we should ask Chuck and Tony about that [/B][/QUOTE]

I just ignore the ******.