The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have been refeering of and on for about 2yrs. I'm not a certified ref yet but i feel like that the more games i do the better it will make me in the future. And i have had to make some tough calls. I have mostly been refereeing (pee-wee) games and they are quite exciting. But for the advice part do you think that i am doing the right thing by at least calling games now to give myself a chance.The advice would be appreciated.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 11:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Chance?

Quote:
Originally posted by wilkey1979
But for the advice part do you think that i am doing the right thing by at least calling games now to give myself a chance.

What are you giving yourself a chance at? Not sure I understand your question at all.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think what is confusing is why you don't get certified and become a real ref. Do you want to ref? If so, why are you waiting to be a true official? And how is doing uncertified games going to help you?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the Forum, wilkey1979

I am not sure what has caused your hesitance toward completing the process to earn your certification.

I would argue that “dabbling” in officiating is NOT a good idea, because you have not afforded yourself the opportunity to get help from the local veterans and received any qualified training to improve your understanding of the role and responsibilities of an official.

Am I being “offici-centric”? Yes, perhaps, but I would argue that it is also an appropriate attitude. “Dabbling”with officiating does not do justice to the game or the participants.

Make the committment! Make it better for all!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I should have added that you will be reffing with other unqualified or underqualified referees. You will learn to do things the way you think they should be done, rather than how the officiating community has come to agree that they should be done. You will operate with limited rules knowledge and even less knowledge about how to apply these rules.

How will this prepare you to be a real ref?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:17am
Do not give a damn!!

I guess that makes sense?

I have said before about this topic, being licensed (Not certified. Being Certified is a ranking in my area) only means you can officiate HS games. It does not mean anything else. All you have to do to become licensed in my state is to pass the Part 1 Exam and have other officials and administrators say you are a credibable person. All that means is you have a title. Other than that, anyone can do JH or rec. league games. I am not sure what area this official is from, but all that might mean is you can do HS games. But it really does not give you automatic credibility as an official. At least from a talent aspect.

My comment is what level you want to do? Then go from there.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I have been refeering of and on for about 2yrs. I'm not a certified ref yet but i feel like that the more games i do the better it will make me in the future. And i have had to make some tough calls. I have mostly been refereeing (pee-wee) games and they are quite exciting. But for the advice part do you think that i am doing the right thing by at least calling games now to give myself a chance.The advice would be appreciated.
The best thing you could do for yourself would be to go to a local high school game -- choose a game between two good teams that are in the running for the play-offs. Try to talk to the refs before the game, or at half-time. Ask how to get ahold of their assignor. Explain why you want to know. Then call that person and ask them to recommend to you a mentor who can help you decide where you want to go and how to get there. That mentor person should know all the ins and outs of reffing in your locale. Good luck!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

There is more to this hobby/job than it looks! As everyone else has said, working with other "officials" makes a big difference in how you will become as a true reff yourself. My son (now 20) thought it would be easy to be a reff sence he has played b-ball all his life, wow what an eye opener it was for him to be on the other side of the game! Study the rules,, take the test,and get started at a lower level like jr.high. Always ask for advice from your partner, becouse learning is game by game. Reffing is like playing b-ball....practice, practice, practice. Most of all have fun doing it!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I want to ref

I was told by a certified ref that the tests that you take to become certified could only be taken during a certain time during the year. And that is what has been holding me up becoming a ref. I want to do it,and i would like your help as well.If i can take the test or whatever you do in order to be certified i will do it. I would really appreciate the help.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: I want to ref

Quote:
I was told by a certified ref that the tests that you take to become certified could only be taken during a certain time during the year. And that is what has been holding me up becoming a ref. I want to do it,and i would like your help as well.If i can take the test or whatever you do in order to be certified i will do it. I would really appreciate the help.
That all depends on your state. In my state you could take that test until May. You just would have to renew again at that time, but our state does not stop you from becoming registered at anytime.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I was in your position a year ago. I had been working some church league games and wanted to really get into it. But it was too late in the year to join the local association and get going. So, while I waited for the year to pass, I:

- Got the rules book and officials manual from the NFHS. Contact info is on their website at http://www.nfhs.org
- Hung out here and learned a ton
- Worked a lot of games in the off season to practice what I learned
- Went to some good camps
- Worked on my fitness (big difference between hs and pee-wee)
- Contacted the local assication president and told him of my desire to join

Excellent mentors are awfully difficult to come by when you're only working these non-school leagues, so be careful who you accept advice from. Any bad habits you learn along the way will have to be unlearned. One really good use for these leagues is to practice your mechanics, so pick one or two things to work on each game. They probably won't care about your mechanics in the pee-wee league, but it'll be a good leg up for the school season next year.

This year I've certified, and been working high school games. I still do church and rec league stuff, but the really fun stuff is the school ball. And I'm continuing with the stuff I did over the summer (study, this forum, camps, fitness, lot of games), because improving is going to be a career-long endeavor.

Welcome to the club.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

what can i do

What do i need to do in order to get rules and regulations to study them and get ready for the certification. I would like to start high scool as soon as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Tell us what state or area you are in and someone can give you more specific information.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

some info

I live in paragould arkansas lived here all of my life know alot of people. Need any more info?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 07:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

You need to contact the State Association or go to a local game as suggested and speak to an official that has a license. Or call a local AD at a High School in your area. I am sure they have some information on what number to call. That is really the best way. Unless there is someone here that knows the process in your state, not much we can provide.

Peace