The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Why don't officials get respect? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12104-why-dont-officials-get-respect.html)

BBallCoach Thu Feb 05, 2004 08:36pm

I thought this would be an interesting question to ask since I read a lot about how some coaches, fans and players don't respect officals. Why do memembers of this board feel this is? Or do some feel they get the respect they deserve and I am wrong in asking this question? Look forward to hearing your feedback on this topic.

Everyone's favorite

BBallCoach

ref18 Thu Feb 05, 2004 08:50pm

I can't believe this.

I feel that the main reason we don't get respect is that coaches are uneducated about the rules. If i could count the number of coaches that call a timeout when their team has the ball in the backcourt and get mad that we don't move the ball up to the 28' line. Also, coaches don't seem to understand the advantage/disadvantage principle. They expect us to call every infraction committed against their team, while letting every infraction their team commits go.

BBallCoach, i'd like to see you put on the stripes and do a game, so you can see how difficult it is to officiate instead of b*tching about how we officiate games.

JRutledge Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:02pm

Very simple

It is the same reason people do not like cops or any other authority figure. These individuals can basically tell you what you can and cannot do. Most people do not like to be told what they can do. And when folks are involved and have a bias, it is hard to see beyond yourself and objectively look in the mirror.

Peace

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:06pm

Quote:

BBallCoach, i'd like to see you put on the stripes and do a game, so you can see how difficult it is to officiate instead of b*tching about how we officiate games.
[/B]
WoW, I will assume you know how BBallCoach acts in a game.

As to respect, its hard for people to respect when they are clueless of Officiating and they think they know it all.

ref18 Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson

WoW, I will assume you know how BBallCoach acts in a game.

As to respect, its hard for people to respect when they are clueless of Officiating and they think they know it all. [/B]
Actually i don't, but from what i've read in his posts, i think he should take a walk in our shoes.

And you've nailed it in the rest of your post.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:40pm

I agree that the disrespect we get is similar to that police officers and other authority figures get. It's actually a proven psychological phenomena that people don't respect authority figures like they used to.

However, I sometimes wonder how many of us are related to Rodney Dangerfield and the lack of respect that comes with that!

BigDave Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:54pm

Re: Very simple

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
It is the same reason people do not like cops or any other authority figure. These individuals can basically tell you what you can and cannot do. Most people do not like to be told what they can do. And when folks are involved and have a bias, it is hard to see beyond yourself and objectively look in the mirror.

Peace

Jeff, I share that exact same philosophy. Well put.

BBallCoach Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:09pm

Must be nice to have this job

Wow based from the reports Ive read, officials and cops have the same amount of power. Very interesting. It must be nice to have a job where no one is allowed make constructive comments about the job you do. Because how dare someone disagree with your authority as the official. You know all and see all and your never ever wrong and of course you would never be out to get someone just to stick it to them. Oh wait you would be JRut addmitted that in another post. Ahh so you admit that you stick it to coaches for no reason and are vindictive, but at the sametime you expect respect. Hmmm somehow this does not make any sense but who knows maybe it's just me. I forgot that people pay money when they goto a basketball game to watch the officials. Or that in twenty years players will look back with fondness over there relationship and the lessons they learned from the officials that worked their game. Oh wait that is not true those would be the coaches they will look back with fond memories. Hmm, all of this talk about how tough it is to be an official. Well you could always be a cop you have the same authority lol

BBallCoach Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:14pm

Another fine example of why officials deserve respect

was getting ready to officiate a game. I looked over and the two other officials were exchanging words and got into a fight. The coaches and myself went over and stopped it. i felt that we wouldn't be able to work together as a team, so i decided to postpone the game. is that the best thing to do?

Hmm I read about that everyday in the paper police officers getting into fights.

mplagrow Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:30pm

My sympathies

Sorry, Bballcoach, if a group of referees beat you up when you were a kid or something. I don't think you can lump all referees together any more than you can lump all policemen together. You know why? We are individual people. It seems that it may be difficult for you to comprehend, but some of us are actually just normal people inside the black&whites. I'm not worked up or defensive, thinking that the world is out to get me so I have to wield my authority in people's faces.

I enjoy basketball. I like working with kids. I believe that my presence on the court enhances their enjoyment of the game that we all love. I have the respect of the coaches who I ref regularly and they have mine. The minute it ceases to be fun, I'll quit reffing. Peace.

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:32pm

This Thread is the 1st I have read any post from BBallcoach. You sure told me a lot about yourself. Amoung other things, you are not a coach. You got me this time but, I will not ever reply to anything you have to say again.

tomegun Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:33pm

This is why we don't get respect. You started this thread to start an argument. Maybe you need to do a game and get it taped and then have another official taped. Sit down and watch both tapes with that official and you will probably learn a lot.
Also, if we cared about respect we would all quit after the first year. It is very humbling to officiate a game and progress to a certain level of respect. I think coaches want us to respect and respond to every dumb or smart comment they make.
- Coaches are teachers. Their job is to teach and win. Playing by the rules doesn't factor in. They just want to score more points than their opponent. They know some of the rules. Some of them.
- Officials have to know the rules and use the rules as a tool to keep order in a basketball game. That hinders a coach from accomplishing his/her goal, winning. Coaches take it personally. We don't or we shouldn't.

[Edited by tomegun on Feb 6th, 2004 at 05:49 AM]

Adam Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:40pm

Officiating is humbling. And, the interesting thing is, the better we get, the more humbled we are about it. The better you get at anything, the more you realize you have to learn.

Adam Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:48pm

Re: Another fine example of why officials deserve respect

Quote:

Originally posted by BBallCoach
was getting ready to officiate a game. I looked over and the two other officials were exchanging words and got into a fight. The coaches and myself went over and stopped it. i felt that we wouldn't be able to work together as a team, so i decided to postpone the game. is that the best thing to do?

Hmm I read about that everyday in the paper police officers getting into fights.

Coach, are you seriously trying to have a discussion? If so, there are a thousand better ways to go about it. You're abrasive approach is not getting anywhere.
I should have done this before, but I'm done with you until you make a cogent point. So far, all you've really done is take ignorance and idiocy to a brand new height.

aw

BBallCoach Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:50pm

Do you expect people to look back at you with fondness?

Or that in twenty years players will look back with fondness over there relationship and the lessons they learned from the officials that worked their game. Oh wait that is not true those would be the coaches they will look back with fond memories.