The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 11:56am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Watched a varsity game last night and saw this very thing happen. Lead official comes out signalling the table with a player control foul as center is going into the crowd and signals a block. They discussed it for about 3-4 mins. and I still wasn't sure what they did to handle the sitch. It is my understanding that in this sitch you report both fouls, wipe off any basket if made and use the APA to determine who gets the ball. Please correct me if I am wrong or if I left anything out.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is a double foul.

4.19.7 SITUATION C:
A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is successful.

RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. An alternating-possession throw-in results.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

In this situation, where A team has "scored basket" on the double foul, does the B team not automatically get possession of the ball for a throw-in?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NICK
In this situation, where A team has "scored basket" on the double foul, does the B team not automatically get possession of the ball for a throw-in?
No. Anytime a double foul occurs, the team with the arrow gets the ball.

In this play, the team with the AP arrow gets the ball at the spot nearest the foul for a throw-in.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

If A team has arrow, does it mean that team B will be disadvantaged? as it would mean team A gets possession twice and has chance to score twice. Just curious.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Does it matter?

Quote:
Originally posted by NICK
If A team has arrow, does it mean that team B will be disadvantaged? as it would mean team A gets possession twice and has chance to score twice. Just curious.
What difference does it make? That is the rule. It happens in many other situations. Why would this be any different?

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

4.19.7 SITUATION C:
A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is successful.

RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. An alternating-possession throw-in results.
Sure. I bet this gets enforced a lot. More than likely the two officials come together, decide whose primary it was in and report that one foul. I'm not saying that is the proper FED interp, cause it isn't, but I would bet this is what gets done most of the time a blarge happens.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 03:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Sure. I bet this gets enforced a lot. More than likely the two officials come together, decide whose primary it was in and report that one foul. I'm not saying that is the proper FED interp, cause it isn't, but I would bet this is what gets done most of the time a blarge happens.
No matter what happens, this is just a horrible situation. No one is going to be happy. Both coaches are going to think you are crazy for doing whatever. This is why this should be talked about in the pregame and you can prevent it.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
They discussed it for about 3-4 mins.
Yuck. It's gotta be quicker.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

4.19.7 SITUATION C:

So far (In my short career) I have never seen it happen as per the case book. But if both refs signal what they called without getting eye contact first they are stuck and should do it this way.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

No matter what happens, this is just a horrible situation. No one is going to be happy. Both coaches are going to think you are crazy for doing whatever. This is why this should be talked about in the pregame and you can prevent it.

Peace
I agree. Almost had one the other night, to be honest. In your fine state, Mr. Rutledge.

I'm trail and player drive from my area (3 officials). Huge collision and to me the B player had, and never lost, legal guarding position. I go up with a fist (fortunately) because my L came out strong with a block, whacking his hips and shouting BLOCK. I was going to go the other way had this not happened -- I dropped my fist and slid down to take the L's place for the free throws.

I'm not saying I was right and he was wrong. We saw it differently, I guess.

Later in the same game, I'm C on ball and the ball handler on my side (L didn't have time to rotate over) hooks the defender going by. I signal strong, but for some reason use the college team control signal. Both partners asked me if it was player control (with a hand behind the head gesture) after I had gotten into position since we were in the bonus. Bad mechanics, so my partners didn't know what I had called. Don't think anyone noticed unless there were officials in the crowd.

I'll get it right one of these days....or move on to college ball where my mechanics would've been flawless.

Rich
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Later in the same game, I'm C on ball and the ball handler on my side (L didn't have time to rotate over) hooks the defender going by. I signal strong, but for some reason use the college team control signal. Both partners asked me if it was player control (with a hand behind the head gesture) after I had gotten into position since we were in the bonus. Bad mechanics, so my partners didn't know what I had called. Don't think anyone noticed unless there were officials in the crowd.
Rich
Rich, I'm not following this. The call was a PC, right? The PC signal in men's is the same as fed - hand behind the head.

Oops, now maybe I get it. Did you use the woman's punch to signal the PC?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 10:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Rich
Rich, I'm not following this. The call was a PC, right? The PC signal in men's is the same as fed - hand behind the head.

Oops, now maybe I get it. Did you use the woman's punch to signal the PC?
Yes, that's what I did. I never did this until I went to a women's camp this past summer. I only seem to do it when I'm outside, too.

Bad habits.

Has anyone ever gotten in a habit of having their back to the court when calling a ball out of bounds? I've done that a few times and KNOW I've done that. Only do it during 3-person. I find myself following the ball out of bounds in the corner, and instead of turning back towards the court, opening up, and signalling, I'm signalling facing the corner.

After doing it, I kick myself for a while. Doesn't mean I've broken the habit, though.

Rich
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:

Yes, that's what I did. I never did this until I went to a women's camp this past summer. I only seem to do it when I'm outside, too.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ever think of scheduling games indoors to improve your mechanics?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Pre game

I'm sure all this was discussed in the pregame? Three to four minutes seems like a long time but if they got the call right then it was the right thing to do!! Who cares how long anything takes as long as we get it right. It is a common procedure to talk about many calls as a group on a football crew. If the call was that close a double foul certainly would be better than one official getting his way because he has a stronger personality. That is not good officiating!