The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

In a game the other night a minor scuffle arose with some words exchanged and minor pushing and shuffing after a routine whistle. No technicals were assessed although possibly could have been. One coach immediately took out one of the offending players and demanded that a player from the other team who also pushed be taken out. There were only 18 seconds to go in the half. I asked the other coach to take the player off the court and the coach refused. He said he hadn't done anything wrong. He admitted he retaliated after the other player did something. I indicated I wanted him out for the remainder of the half and was not assessing a foul. He continued to state that he did not have to remove him and that there was no rule saying he had to. I told him I wanted to keep something else from happening or to give a technical and to diffuse the situation. He finally relented but I realized I was not sure if I could make him remove the player by the rules particularly without assessing a foul etc. By the way we talked to both coaches to start the second half and things went ok., Any thoughts? Thanks>
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If they pushed and shoved they're should have been technicals.... Thats a fight. Anytime someone says there could have been or should have been a tech. i stop listening becasue you should have taken care of business. You cant demand that a player be removed. Something that coaches appreciate is when you tell them that a player is in trouble. I had a kid snap back at me one night on a call I made. I nodded my head to acknowlege him and jogged off to report the foul. I came back down to his coach and said
"Might wanna check on 33 coach, he's gunna get in trouble if he keeps it up". coach didnt ask a word said thanks man and turned to his bench. After the first free throw well I'll be sub at the table and 33 is jogging off the court asking what he did. Coach chewed his but for running his mouth. Ask Hawks Coach, he probably really appreciates it when referees tell him his players are at the end of their rope and might get a technical.

Now in your situation you either have a pair of T's or you ignore A's coach.

I had a situation friday night. Two players started talking trash to each other on the post play. I looked to see where the ball was and popped my whistle walked up between them and very politly told them that if they kept it up both of them would get a technical foul and likely be on the bench. I said it quiet enough for both to hear. Both coaches recognized the situation and hollard out to me they want to sub em. I dont think either player ever came back into the game.

Its all about the situation. You cant tell a coach to sub a player out but you can strongly suggest before a player gets a T. But if your situation happened as you described they're should have been a T on each player. Not necessarily ejecttion for fighting. However you could justify it as one if it would make the game better.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

ace is correct. You can't force a coach to remove a player in such a situation.

If the situation was so bad that you felt that strongly, then it sounds to me like technical fouls should have been called. Use the tools that are available to you. Don't try to make some up.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I am being nice.

I agree you cannot make him, but just give the coach two choices. Either remove the player or I give him a T for conduct purposes.

You are doing him a favor, if he cannot get the hint, he cannot complain when you take action.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't advise giving the coach that type of ultimatum.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You do not have to advice anything. But it works. Because I will make sure the player sits the next game.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Technically speaking....

JRutledge...

Think about it.

You can threaten the coach with a player T if he is not removed. Now you have become entrenched in a power struggle and by rule after you issue the first T on the player s/he, by rule, STILL does not have to leave the game.

This is NOT the way I would handle this. Either you have the T's on one or both of the players initially or it was not severe enough to whack them. If the latter is the case, you will look very vindictive if you threaten a "T" defacto.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You do not have to advice anything. But it works. Because I will make sure the player sits the next game.

Peace
My reply was to the original poster, since he asked about the play.

You can suggest the coach remove the player, We do it in football from time to time. But you can't make him remove him and you can't blackmail him into doing it.

It's bad business and hopefully, vawils want ever consider doing it.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 19th, 2004 at 02:42 PM]
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Technically speaking....

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
JRutledge...

Think about it.

You can threaten the coach with a player T if he is not removed. Now you have become entrenched in a power struggle and by rule after you issue the first T on the player s/he, by rule, STILL does not have to leave the game.
He will have to leave the game if a rule that the situation was a fight. He will have to leave if I rule the actions as a Flagrant Technical foul. There is no power struggle when I am giving a coach an option to accomplish the same thing without me having to throw the kid out of the game officially. If he wants the state not to know about the situation, and have his kid for the next game, he has a simple choice.

Quote:

This is NOT the way I would handle this. Either you have the T's on one or both of the players initially or it was not severe enough to whack them. If the latter is the case, you will look very vindictive if you threaten a "T" defacto.
You have a right to your opinion. But so do I and many others I know. I know a lot of officials that "recommend" removal of players and the coaches adhere to the "recommendation." Becuase if the state find out about the actions, they are "guilty." It is not an issue of who was right and who was wrong, they will miss the next game at that level or 10 days, which ever comes first and might miss more based on other actions or what the state feels is proper. And who said it was an expost facto ruling? We have a dead ball. We are removing the players from the game. If I want to I can report the situation as a fight or just have them come out of the game after talking to my partners. No different than any other T or situation that needs some communication.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Technically speaking....

JRutledge

I agree with the issue of the consequnces for the player as a result of the Flagrant (it is typical for most state associations). HOWEVER; My points are...

1. Once you have asked the coach to remove the player and he says no, what rules support you to force the coach to take the player out?

2. NOW, after asking the coach to remove the player and he refused, you issue the Flagrant T. If the player's actions warranted a Flagrant T, call it before having contact with the coach.

3. You demanded that the coach take the player out and when the coach refused, you issued the Flagrant. Does this seem like good game management? (Looks like a power struggle to me)

IF I am that coach I am writing a letter to the state association indicating that you escalated the siuation. You asked me to have a player leave and when I disagreed with your request you abused your authority.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 04:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Never can think of a problem.

Quote:
JRutledge

I agree with the issue of the consequnces for the player as a result of the Flagrant (it is typical for most state associations). HOWEVER; My points are...

1. Once you have asked the coach to remove the player and he says no, what rules support you to force the coach to take the player out?

2. NOW, after asking the coach to remove the player and he refused, you issue the Flagrant T. If the player's actions warranted a Flagrant T, call it before having contact with the coach.

3. You demanded that the coach take the player out and when the coach refused, you issued the Flagrant. Does this seem like good game management? (Looks like a power struggle to me)

IF I am that coach I am writing a letter to the state association indicating that you escalated the siuation. You asked me to have a player leave and when I disagreed with your request you abused your authority.
I will say this. This type of game management is attributed to many officials that have much more clout than I do. This is commom for veteran officials to use this from time to time in basketball and in other sports like football. It works because the coach realizes that if we pull the trigger or if we had pulled the trigger, it would not have been a good thing for his team. Of course it is up to the situation and the official to do something in this case. But if the coach wants to not adhere to the warning, then I will just not worry about all the leeway I was giving and start doing things strictly according the the rules. When I did not call the toe on the box, now I will make an issue out of it. I will not just do it for his team, I will do it for both. Because if you did not want to adhere to the warning, now I will just use every rule to get the situation under control. And the next players that even look like they want to fight will be dealt with accordingly. No warning, no explaination, no rope. Just take care of business and move on. And I have never had a situation where captains or coaches did not get a full understanding of any warning and did not realize the seriousness of the situation after action was taken. You can call it a power struggle or whatever you like. The officials will control the game regardless of what the coaches or the players want. It is up to them if they are going to be apart of the solution or part of the problem.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Bottom line: coach A obviously has the right to take his player off the floor but he has no business demanding that coach B return the favor. Just tell that to coach A, unless he's a genuine jerk he'll get the message.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 05:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Bottom line: coach A obviously has the right to take his player off the floor but he has no business demanding that coach B return the favor. Just tell that to coach A, unless he's a genuine jerk he'll get the message.
Thanks, Dan. I've been itching to post this all day, but my biggest problem with this is the fact that the official wasn't going to remove the player until the opposing coach asked for it. If I haven't made that decision myself, I'm going to ignore A coach's request. I might suggest it to B coach, but I won't demand it on the other coach's request.

Adam
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Had this happen the other day

I was doing a couple scrimmages at my school on Saturday (K-12 School), and one of them was a 6-8 year old division. I had a jump ball RIGHT in front of me, blow the whistle, do the routine. One of the players from my school decided to throw in an extra elbow after the whistle blew. Considering that this was an 8 year old and that this game wasn't a league game (it was PURE fun), I brought her to the coach (I know her very well) and said "Dwayna, give me a sub." She responded immediately and without question.

Would it REALLY have improved things if I would have T'd her, or ejected her with a flagrant technical? I mean, nobody was hurt, she didn't do it with enough force to hurt anybody (although it was an elbow, granted) - I just advised the coach to let her sit out for the rest of the half and cool off, and avoided a ten-minute drama spiel. It was better for the game.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Had this happen the other day

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05

Would it REALLY have improved things if I would have T'd her, or ejected her with a flagrant technical? I mean, nobody was hurt, she didn't do it with enough force to hurt anybody (although it was an elbow, granted) - I just advised the coach to let her sit out for the rest of the half and cool off, and avoided a ten-minute drama spiel. It was better for the game.
Two observations.
First, with this being a scrim of 6-8 year olds I have no problem with the way you handled the situation. It was the best way and as you say, it was better for the game.
Second, if this had been a HS varsity game there is a different level of play and ability. That player just earned a T at the least or an ejection depending on variables.