The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking We are going to get ripped apart by this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Yes we did, and I do not tell coaches how many TOs they have left. I might tell them how many I THINK they have left but I always tell them to ask the official book.
But I tell them the same thing. And most of the time the visitiong team tells their own team and the "official book" tells the home team. I never have had to make an issue out of this myself.

Peace

Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Just some observations...

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
... my partner said "I'm not putting hte ball in play until you acknowledge me with yes sir." Kid said yes sir turned around and mumbled something.
What rule do you have to support this type of demand? What if this player's coach observed this monologue and disagrees with the tactic and calls the official on it? Your partner then pops him with a "T" and things get worse from there. The coach gets tossed for his 2nd "T" by you and then files a complaint with your state athletic association?

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
MY partner looked at him i nodded. I was T table side and said "Hey coach, 23s about to get in trouble, might wanna talk to him. I'd have to give a T for what hes doing when yall have a 30 point lead."
Again, what if this opposing coach observed this chat and disagrees with the tactic and calls you on your favoratism?

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
After the game as my partner and I were walking to the locker room the coach and 23 approached us. 23 apologized for his actions and thanked us for not calling the T but rather telling his coach. His coach then said thanks again and it was the end of it. When I get to the varsity level I think I'll be on thier pref. list :-D
Really? Sorry, but if I am the opposing coach I am going to view you as a biased official.

Just some food for thought.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Didn't we have this conversation before?

Peace

Many many times.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I have learned is not to ASSUME anything. Don't assume the table will let you know when there are 7 team fouls, or that a player has 5 fouls (for example). Never assume that your partner will know to ask these questions when he has just reported a foul (unless you know your partner's capabilities). With a less experienced partner, and/or a rookie table crew, you will be best served to keep tabs on these things. Using your knowledge and awareness of the game, especially in certain situations (tie game, time running out, players in foul trouble, double bonus, expected time out request, etc.) can serve to prevent a lot of confusion. Be ready to step up and help a newer ref through this learning process. It will help manage the flow of the game and reduce your frustration level.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Been there, done that.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
Quote:
FWIW, I never tell a coach how many time outs he has left. When the table tells me A has 1 or no more TOs I tell THEM to tell the coach.
Isn't that one of your duties??

Rule 2 Section 11 Article 6

Record time out information charged to each team (who and when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is granted it's final allotted charged time-out.
Didn't we have this conversation before?

Peace
Yes we did, and I do not tell coaches how many TOs they have left. I might tell them how many I THINK they have left but I always tell them to ask the official book. [/B]
Now THAT'S preventive officiating.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

After reading one or two of these posts (experienced officials will know the ones I am talking about), there is one fact that stands out. There are a few people who put on our uniform and disgrace our profession. If you are on the court to be "DA MAN", hand your check to one of the JV officials that night and calmly walk out the door and go home. We do not need people on the floor that only want his/her ego stoked by thinking they are in control of everything.

Making a player say "yes sir" is IMO, silly. Sounds like someone need an EGO CHECK.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

In last minute or so of game if the chance arives-i will remind all players "good game so far guys only a minute left lets not do anything dumb" seem to prvent some of the late in game frustration fouls--just a thought