View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Chuck, Tony, Rut, Mark, Jurassic etc. With all your experiences, you must have a few tips. A lot of our officials have 5 years of experience or less so these preventative tips don't have to be too deep. I'm sure there are many obvious ones that I'm not thinking of.
I will give some tips. There could be more but I do not want to overwelm you with stuff. If you need me to elaborate, just ask.

Pregame

1.Go to the table at 12:30 to check the book.
2.Do not fall asleep and look at the cheerleaders--watch what the players are wearing or doing.
3.Watch the players warming up closely, you might figure out who the shooters are and who the bangers are.
4.Watch the moves that the players are making--they might be illegal.

Start of the game.

1.Make sure you direct the players in the right direction.
2.Talk out of fouls if you can.
3.Call the handchecks, screens (moving ) and any delay warnings early so you do not have to make those calls late in the game or that it will not be a surprise if called at a tough spot.

Timouts and Between periods

1.Do not get too close to the table (do not give a chance for cheap shots by coaches and players)
2.Good time to talk with partners if you need to.
3.Always communicate situation after the timeout--run the baseline, how many shots, who is shooting for example.

Halftime

1.Do not be in such a hurry to switch the arrow or get your jackets at the table--Make sure coaches clear (cheap shot issue again)
2.Do not hang around, go to the locker room ASAP.
3.Discuss in locker room any situations that need to be discussed--Get on same page.
4.Be positive and not accusitory in the lockerroom--Ask questions like, "what did you see at 2:15 in the 1st quarter."

Second Half

1.First half is over, have a better half (more remembered in the second than the first)
2.Talk more near the end of the game with partners--last second shot, who has how many fouls, is the coach been warned.
3.Do not officiate down to the level of play in a blowout--keep calling fouls if need be.

End of the game

1.Get off the floor, do not hang out--nothing good can happen at this point.
2.Leave the ball alone.
3.Silence cannot be quoted
4.Thank your partners no matter what happen in the game--you never know when you will work together again. Leave on a good note (refer to #3).
5.Do not be in a hurry to leave the locker room if you can--fans might be waiting to have their say.

You get the idea. Just things off the top of my head. Things I try to do every game to some extent. I think you have enough experience to fill in the blanks and elaborate on what these are and what to do.

Hope this can be helpful. Good luck in your presentation.

Peace