The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've never cleaned a whistle in my five years of reffing, and I've had far fewer colds, and flu per year than any time n my life. However, I was very "detail-oriented" about my children's pacifiers -- at least the first child. So in that vein, I'll quote my favorite item of "Mother's Lore":

When the first child drops her binky, you put it in the dishwasher and get a clean one out of the drawer to give her.

When the second child drops his binky, you rinse it under the tap, and give it back.

When the third child drops her binky, you lick it off and give it back.

And when the fourth child drops his binky, you think, "Gee, I hope he finds it!"
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:04am
Huck Finn

What is CMG? I use a normal fox 40, don't chew through them and don't have to clean them because of blisters. Is CMG a joke or is this a real whistle? If so, does someone have a link?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

CMG's

CMG = Cushion Mouth Grip. It's a Fox 40 with a cushion tip. The older CMG's have a smaller cushion than the new ones. I found someone who had the old ones and bought a bunch. I like them better. The new ones are huge whereas the older ones are not much larger than regular fox. I soak them in vinegar about once a month. The cushion seems to attract gunk.

Mregor
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 08:22am
Huck Finn

Smile

OK, I have one of those. I don't like it. I could use the same whistle for a year. Wait, I've been using my whistle for..........................
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I've never cleaned a whistle in my five years of reffing,
Me, too.

I use the same whistle every night and replace it when it gets cracked -- less than once per year.

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never cleaned a whistle in my five years of reffing, and I've had far fewer colds, and flu per year than any time n my life. However, I was very "detail-oriented" about my children's pacifiers -- at least the first child. So in that vein, I'll quote my favorite item of "Mother's Lore":

When the first child drops her binky, you put it in the dishwasher and get a clean one out of the drawer to give her.

When the second child drops his binky, you rinse it under the tap, and give it back.

When the third child drops her binky, you lick it off and give it back.

And when the fourth child drops his binky, you think, "Gee, I hope he finds it!"
Been there, done that.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I keep alcohol swabs in my bag so that I can sterilize my Fox 40 before games - For the main reason of preventing cold sores.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Me, too.

I use the same whistle every night and replace it when it gets cracked -- less than once per year.

You mean you never eat the popcorn before a game?
I gotta eat the popcorn!!!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

When I was coaching, our team would rate the road games by the quality of the popcorn.

I soak my whistle in bleach for about 5 minutes. Then a rinse and soak in water for 10. Bleach kills everything, including popcorn germs!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fref
I keep alcohol swabs in my bag so that I can sterilize my Fox 40 before games - For the main reason of preventing cold sores.
Gentlemen, cleaning your whistles will NOT prevent cold sores.

Cold sores are not a sign that you have contacted a germ. Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus, type 1. It's a reactivation of the virus which is already living in your body. Cold sores occur when the herpes virus, which has been asleep, reactivates. And before someone pops off, this is not the same as genital herpes, which is type 2.

This is why some people have cold sores habitually and some never have them. Neither my wife or my kids have ever had a cold sore in their lives, simply because they do not have the virus. I have them from time to time, but I ward them off by not allowing my lips to dry out or get sunburned, and I take Lysine.

So, instead of worrying about your whistles, take better care of your lips.

This message is a public service announcement from Dr. BktBallRef.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 01:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Me, too.

You mean you never eat the popcorn before a game?
I gotta eat the popcorn!!!
Now WE rate the school for whether they provide towels for showering and whether they provide halftime and post-game bottles of water or soda.

I have a partner that eats popcorn before every game. Tradition, he says.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think we have some urban legends in the making here. "Cold sores" are herpes simplex which is a virus you carry in your body. You can't catch cold sores from the air or from your whistle. If you are experiencing them from officiating it is from the trauma the lips adsorb from having the whistle in your mouth for a period of time. You probable get them in the winter when exposed to the elements (excessive sun also). It helps to use chap stick to reduce the trauma. Peroxide, vinegar and all the other products certainly will provide a "clean" whistle, but won't inpact the incidents of cold sores.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Now WE rate the school for whether they provide towels for showering and whether they provide halftime and post-game bottles of water or soda.
TOWELS!?!? You get towels from the school?!? I feel fortunate if they bring the water to me instead of making me walk to the concession stand and pay for it. Most games, it would take an act of God to have access to a useable shower, let alone get a towel! Some people have all the luck...
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefRx
I think we have some urban legends in the making here. "Cold sores" are herpes simplex which is a virus you carry in your body. You can't catch cold sores from the air or from your whistle. If you are experiencing them from officiating it is from the trauma the lips adsorb from having the whistle in your mouth for a period of time. You probable get them in the winter when exposed to the elements (excessive sun also). It helps to use chap stick to reduce the trauma. Peroxide, vinegar and all the other products certainly will provide a "clean" whistle, but won't inpact the incidents of cold sores.
See. Told ya so.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Now WE rate the school for whether they provide towels for showering
TOWELS!?!? You get towels from the school?!? I feel fortunate if they bring the water to me instead of making me walk to the concession stand and pay for it. Most games, it would take an act of God to have access to a useable shower, let alone get a towel! Some people have all the luck... [/B]
I rate college venues by the towel factor. For HS games, it's a combination of changing area/shower access. I don't even think about getting something to drink.