Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Chuck,
Have you tried the fox with the padding on the end of it? The first time I tried it it felt like I was biting on a 2x4 but after I got used to it I like it...
...And yet another satisfied CMG user.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 04:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Chuck,
Have you tried the fox with the padding on the end of it? The first time I tried it it felt like I was biting on a 2x4 but after I got used to it I like it...
...And yet another satisfied CMG user.
Count me in.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: peroxide

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Peroxide is a very poor antiseptic despite what your mother may have taught you. You might want to try something a little stronger to actually sterilize your whistle and then use the peroxide to rinse the whistle at the end.
What would you suggest? Also, is it really an issue? Are there nasties that can live long enough to be a problem?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Chuck,
I haven't tried it, mostly b/c I'm just cheap. I have about 20 Fox 40s and I just can't see spending money on more of them. I like the tape, actually. Helps put me in a basketball mindset. (And I don't worry about washing the tape after every game, like Dan does.)
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Try what it says on the back of the package. Soaking the whistle in a water viniger solution. I do this between 1 every month or twice a month, depending on how sick i was, and how much crap i've coughed into the whistle. It really cleans out the inside. Let is soak overnight, then rinse it out, because i'm pretty sure no one likes the taste of viniger in their mouth for an hour and a half game.

And you've got another satisfied CMG user here.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Chuck,
I haven't tried it, mostly b/c I'm just cheap. I have about 20 Fox 40s and I just can't see spending money on more of them. I like the tape, actually. Helps put me in a basketball mindset. (And I don't worry about washing the tape after every game, like Dan does.)
Dan's not so worried about the tape part (the outside) Dan's worried about the inside, that swamp where all the kooties live.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

The vinegar method will get the inside squeeky clean.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
CMG...chewed right through it!!! I'm on #3 this year with 10-12 nights to go!!! Teeth keep getting flatter, and my hearing keeps getting worse!!!
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I just use the usual fox 40. I buy a dozen at a time and start a new one when the chew marks in the other start becomming somewhat deep... so about once every 3 1/2 weeks it seems. Also sometimes i chip part of the whistle bridge (the thing u put inside the teeth) thats usually a good indication this whistle has that night and the next one left in it.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I bought 3 of the CMG whistles this year. Love them. Would love them more if they were a bit smaller.

I have never cleaned a whistle, personally. Once they start getting scummy inside I throw it out. Probably a bit wasteful, now that I think about it.

Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
CMG...chewed right through it!!! I'm on #3 this year with 10-12 nights to go!!! Teeth keep getting flatter, and my hearing keeps getting worse!!!
I try to eat "before" I get to the game.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I bought 3 of the CMG whistles this year. Love them. Would love them more if they were a bit smaller.

I have never cleaned a whistle, personally. Once they start getting scummy inside I throw it out. Probably a bit wasteful, now that I think about it.

Rich,
I cleaned one whistle out once. Sounded better. But generally I am not real concerned. The reason I cleaned it was that I thought it sounded funny. Got some stuff outa there.

Since I started I have been a mini foxer. BasketBallRef swore by the CMG so I bought some to try.
Last night (two 30+ Rec games, a lot of summer baseballers on the floor ) I switched on the run from my mini to the CMG in the first half of the 1st game.

I think I was sold last night.
mick
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
BK, there just like shoes. 3 pairs, rotating them daily, will last 5 times longer than one pair. If you'll use 3 CMGs and rotate them, they'll last much, much longer.

Also, if you haven't tried a CMG in the past year, they've changed the mouthpiece and it's much more durable. I just wish they would use a black material, and not the opague gray color.

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I just use the usual fox 40. I buy a dozen at a time and start a new one when the chew marks in the other start becomming somewhat deep... so about once every 3 1/2 weeks it seems. Also sometimes i chip part of the whistle bridge (the thing u put inside the teeth) thats usually a good indication this whistle has that night and the next one left in it.
You desperately need to try a CMG. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Also, if you haven't tried a CMG in the past year, they've changed the mouthpiece and it's much more durable. I just wish they would use a black material, and not the opague gray color.

Maybe I'm halucinating, but I think I've seen them with black mouthpieces - just don't know where to buy them like that.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Warning: Microbiology post

To answer some of the questions posed here:

First, the virus which causes most fever blisters can survive in air for a fairly good period of time. The whistle, a wet surface, provides a great medium for the virii to spread to other areas of your lips/mouth. As an addendum, don't forget that the blisters can sometimes be contagious before an outbreak, so you should clean your whistle regularly.

Second, I wouldn't use peroxide. Although it should kill most germs, it's not intended for sterilization. Also, I don't want any residue of that stuff in my mouth.

Third, tape. This won't stop deposits from building up inside your whistle. As such, the whistles should be cleaned or disposed of on a regular basis.

Finally, my preferred method. I soak my whistles in antiseptic mouthwash, rinse, then use a toothpick to get any gunk inside (I find I have a problem with the ridges of the CMG). Mouthwash may kill more effectively than vinegar, and will definately taste better (you can't rinse out the vinegar taste very easily).

Of course, my roommate always suggests cleaning my whistles in gin, vodka, or the like - that's a whole different thread, though.