LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by fref
I keep alcohol swabs in my bag so that I can sterilize my Fox 40 before games - For the main reason of preventing cold sores.
Gentlemen, cleaning your whistles will NOT prevent cold sores.

Cold sores are not a sign that you have contacted a germ. Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus, type 1. It's a reactivation of the virus which is already living in your body. Cold sores occur when the herpes virus, which has been asleep, reactivates. And before someone pops off, this is not the same as genital herpes, which is type 2.

This is why some people have cold sores habitually and some never have them. Neither my wife or my kids have ever had a cold sore in their lives, simply because they do not have the virus. I have them from time to time, but I ward them off by not allowing my lips to dry out or get sunburned, and I take Lysine.

So, instead of worrying about your whistles, take better care of your lips.

This message is a public service announcement from Dr. BktBallRef.
This is true, but let it be known I "clean" my whistles to get rid of the more "common" types of kooties that lead to sore throats, sniffles and other assorted badness. Maybe it really does not make a difference but I feel better doing it.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
This is true, but let it be known I "clean" my whistles to get rid of the more "common" types of kooties that lead to sore throats, sniffles and other assorted badness. Maybe it really does not make a difference but I feel better doing it.
I'm sure it doesn't hurt. But I'm not sure that it kills the cooties. Any germ on your whistle came from you to begin with, so it wouldn't be anything new to your system. I'm not sure how long they can live outside a warm, moist environment anyway.

Perhaps RefRx will further enlighten us.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Agree with Chuck. You're lucky if you have a clean private place to dress at HS games. And the shower is a large perk. Towels? Forget it!

When I worked in school administration, I made sure that the officials had all of the above plus I'd make sure they got a sandwich or sub to take with them after the game. That school still adheres to that policy. Officials love to work there. I think each school should assign someone, student or otherwise to make sure the officials are taken care of. Wouldn't take much effort to get it done. And it goes a long way.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I'm sure it doesn't hurt. But I'm not sure that it kills the cooties. Any germ on your whistle came from you to begin with, so it wouldn't be anything new to your system. I'm not sure how long they can live outside a warm, moist environment anyway.

Perhaps RefRx will further enlighten us.
Well, when my kids were younger (I think I was younger too, can't remember now) they would get strep, and the doctor always told us to be careful because strep tends to hang around awhile, and sure enough I or my wife would get it a month or so later and my doctor would ask "kids get in the last 3 months" and he would smile when I said yes.

So, I got trained to wash the kooties out. Maybe RefRx will tell me I'm wasting my time and perfectly good listerine.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cleaning your whistle won't affect cold sores (virus), but there is a lot of "stuff" out there to catch. Your mouth is a great breeding ground for bacteria and your whistle is no better, so it's a good idea to clean it.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Interestingly enough, I get cold sores. My family doesn't.

They get strep throat. I've never had it.

But yes, I too have heard that strep hangs around.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Cleaning your whistle won't affect cold sores (virus), but there is a lot of "stuff" out there to catch. Your mouth is a great breeding ground for bacteria and your whistle is no better, so it's a good idea to clean it.
Okay, okay!

My games are postponed.

I have nothing to do.

I'll go clean my damn whisltes!

BRB!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I too get them, all you need is some good chapstick to keep your lips from getting dry like BktBallRef said. Haven't had one in a while because of the chapstick.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Also, if you haven't tried a CMG in the past year, they've changed the mouthpiece and it's much more durable. I just wish they would use a black material, and not the opague gray color.

Maybe I'm halucinating, but I think I've seen them with black mouthpieces - just don't know where to buy them like that.
The mouthpiece was colored black about 3 years ago. They don't make it black anymore. Anyone also notice that the ring that attaches your whistle to your lanyard is now colored gold. I liked them better when they were silver. I even take the silver one off of my old one and replace the gold one. My God am I anal!!

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Also, if you haven't tried a CMG in the past year, they've changed the mouthpiece and it's much more durable. I just wish they would use a black material, and not the opague gray color.

Maybe I'm halucinating, but I think I've seen them with black mouthpieces - just don't know where to buy them like that.
The mouthpiece was colored black about 3 years ago. They don't make it black anymore. Anyone also notice that the ring that attaches your whistle to your lanyard is now colored gold. I liked them better when they were silver. I even take the silver one off of my old one and replace the gold one. My God am I anal!!
I've been buying them since they came out and I've never found a black one. A friend has one but he's had it for several years and couldn't remember how he obtained it.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I use a whistle for 2-3 years. I clean them periodically with listerene...soak overnight...tastes nice for a couple of games too. I've only cracked 1 ever. If you're biting through them in 2-3 weeks, perhaps you should relax a little.

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I use a whistle for 2-3 years. I clean them periodically with listerene...soak overnight...tastes nice for a couple of games too. I've only cracked 1 ever. If you're biting through them in 2-3 weeks, perhaps you should relax a little.

Good point, Camron.
My whistles are lasting longer and longer be cause I am not as tense.
Additional serendipity comes with teeth and jaws that don't feel like you been chewin' on four double-bubbles all day.
mick
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree with Chuck. You're lucky if you have a clean private place to dress at HS games. And the shower is a large perk. Towels? Forget it!

When I worked in school administration, I made sure that the officials had all of the above plus I'd make sure they got a sandwich or sub to take with them after the game. That school still adheres to that policy. Officials love to work there. I think each school should assign someone, student or otherwise to make sure the officials are taken care of. Wouldn't take much effort to get it done. And it goes a long way.
Here in the great state of Wyoming, where by the way, we hardly ever cancel games due to snow, just better equiped to handle it I guess, we usually have nice private places to dress, and shower...the only exception so far this year has been that we dressed in a coaches office, no biggie, and pretty common, except that this one was also in the home team locker room...so we wait till the teams leave the floor at half time, then follow the home team to the locker room....good thing there were no real problems....
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This is AWESOME!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 10:55pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I had a science teacher in high school who never cleaned his coffee mug. It kinda grossed me out, but when he explained why, it made sense. Said that all of the germs build on each other, and then your body starts to build immunity, etc. Once I heard that, I was like why bother cleaning the whistles??? I'm gonna be healthy after a game! Hee hee.