The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clean your Whistle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11572-clean-your-whistle.html)

OldCoachNewRef Thu Jan 08, 2004 01:35pm

Don't know if anyone has this problem. I get fever blisters every now and then. Before I get them, I can tell when one is coming and apply medicine which keeps them small. However, since becoming a ref and having the whistle in my mouth most of the game, the blisters sometimes spread to another part of the mouth. I clean the whistles with Peroxide and replace at half time if only working one game, or between games if 2. Anybody know how to stop this from happening? Is there something I can do during dead ball or time out? Thanks for your help in advance.

[Edited by OldCoachNewRef on Jan 8th, 2004 at 12:42 PM]

Dan_ref Thu Jan 08, 2004 01:57pm

I try to never use a whistle 2 games in a row without cleaning it well...I put them in the dishwasher then soak in listerine or some such (never thought of peroxide). I also switch whistles after the first if I work a 2 game set.

And I never, ever (ever) take a whistle from someone else. If I lend my whistle to someone else they get to keep it.

tomegun Thu Jan 08, 2004 02:39pm

Does your whistle cause this problem? I don't have that problem.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 08, 2004 02:54pm

Fever blisters aren't developing on one side of your mouth because you're using a whistle and have a blister on the opposite side. I can have one and kiss my wife, but she doesn't get fever blisters because I have them.

Dan_ref Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Fever blisters aren't developing on one side of your mouth because you're using a whistle and have a blister on the opposite side. I can have one and kiss my wife, but she doesn't get fever blisters because I have them.
In the interest of my health I would kindly request that you refrain from kissing your wife while you are ill.

:p

BktBallRef Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

In the interest of my health I would kindly request that you refrain from kissing your wife while you are ill.

:p

I've got a real good one but it would probably get me in trouble. :)

Let's just said I'm "covered" if you're sick. :D

mick Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:08pm

blech !!***#

I can play that game, too.

I reach in my bag and <U>hope</U> that my dirty socks haven't touched my whistle.

mick

Forksref Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:08pm

Or during a game.

OldCoachNewRef Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:10pm

Yes, I really think the whistle made the virus (blister) spread. I usually get one in one area and it goes away pretty fast (3 or 4 days). The last time (about 3 weeks ago) I got one, I had another on the other side and another on the upper lip. I think by taking the whistle out or even just repositioning it, the germ caries. And BBR, I can kiss my wife on the lips on the other side, but I wouldn't try the opposite of violatio with her (how cunning).

[Edited by OldCoachNewRef on Jan 8th, 2004 at 02:52 PM]

DJ Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:12pm

peroxide

Peroxide is a very poor antiseptic despite what your mother may have taught you. You might want to try something a little stronger to actually sterilize your whistle and then use the peroxide to rinse the whistle at the end.

mick Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:15pm

Quote:

Let's just said I'm "covered" if you're sick. :D

Another satisfied CMG user.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:31pm

I tape my whistle before a game. When the game's over, the tape goes in the trash. I don't know if that would help your situation or not. I do it for the cushion, but it might help to remove any germs left over from your last game.

Snake~eyes Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:44pm

What kind of tape do you use?

ChuckElias Thu Jan 08, 2004 04:19pm

It's just black athletic tape that I got from the local sporting goods store. Probably made for taping hockey sticks or something, but I put a thin strip around the whistle for padding.

cmathews Thu Jan 08, 2004 04:29pm

Chuck,
Have you tried the fox with the padding on the end of it? The first time I tried it it felt like I was biting on a 2x4 but after I got used to it I like it...