View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Warning: Microbiology post

To answer some of the questions posed here:

First, the virus which causes most fever blisters can survive in air for a fairly good period of time. The whistle, a wet surface, provides a great medium for the virii to spread to other areas of your lips/mouth. As an addendum, don't forget that the blisters can sometimes be contagious before an outbreak, so you should clean your whistle regularly.

Second, I wouldn't use peroxide. Although it should kill most germs, it's not intended for sterilization. Also, I don't want any residue of that stuff in my mouth.

Third, tape. This won't stop deposits from building up inside your whistle. As such, the whistles should be cleaned or disposed of on a regular basis.

Finally, my preferred method. I soak my whistles in antiseptic mouthwash, rinse, then use a toothpick to get any gunk inside (I find I have a problem with the ridges of the CMG). Mouthwash may kill more effectively than vinegar, and will definately taste better (you can't rinse out the vinegar taste very easily).

Of course, my roommate always suggests cleaning my whistles in gin, vodka, or the like - that's a whole different thread, though.