Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: One of mine too!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

...but nobody came to watch us.

Fact remains we are part of the game, and we are responsible for controlling the game.

Quote:

And they certainly didn't come to watch us lolly-gag up the floor.
I'm not there to meet the expectations of the fans. The game does not restart until I'm ready. And I aint ready until the crew is ready.
Quote:

It disrupts the flow of the game. It provides preventable dead ball time in which somebody can do or say something stupid. And it makes those of us who do hustle grumpy.

The flow is already disrupted. It does no one any good if you hurry the ball back in play because you're concerned someone might say or do something stupid. And frankly if you're gonna put the ball in play before I'm ready because you don't think I'm hustling enough I'm gonna blow it dead and we'll do it again.

BITS, you may think I'm making a big deal out of nothing but this is a huge, huge deal. More preventable problems happen simply because the ball gets put in play before the crew is ready, and these are sometimes the types of preventable problems that people remember for years.
Dan,

I'm not trying to hurry the game because I'm concerned someone might say we are doing something stupid, its because the players and coaches are READY therefore we should be. What I'm speaking of is a reasonable amount of time waiting and the partner is looking offcourt at something else. All it takes is a simple look back over the shoulder
and here we go.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Tomegun,

Just this past Tuesday, I was put in a very bad situation by an official. It was the same guy who called the carry on Cheyenne last year in the only game they lost.
Anyway here's the sit:
White is down by one with 30 seconds to play in the 4th. They foul black and we are shooting one-and-one. This is a 3-man crew in a GV game. I am the trail. The first shot is missed and before anyone even moves to go for the rebound my partner who is the C blows his whistle. I am thinking, "oh sh*t, he thinks it's two." Nope. He proceeds to call a violation on the 5'2" point guard from white because she was standing at the top of the key with her right toe on the 3-point line! She did not even try to run in for the rebound, she just stood there. Of course, the coach comes to me because as trail I am the closest official. Black makes the replacement throw, and then misses the bonus throw. White comes down to the other end and makes a basket and we have to play overtime. Naturally, black wins by two.
I was frustrated by this for two reasons: 1. It was my primary area and he shouldn't be looking there. 2. It was so petty and there was absolutely no advantage gained by the player. It just wasn't a smart call, and it changed the outcome of the game.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One of mine too!

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee

I'm not trying to hurry the game because I'm concerned someone might say we are doing something stupid, its because the players and coaches are READY therefore we should be....
So? Who cares if the coaches & players are ready? If your parner aint ready then do not put the ball in. They'll wait.

Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hustle, don't hurry. Yes, we do need to make sure partneers are ready. And yes, we do have a responsibility to hustle to get into position.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]

I was frustrated by this for two reasons: 1. It was my primary area and he shouldn't be looking there. 2. It was so petty and there was absolutely no advantage gained by the player. It just wasn't a smart call, and it changed the outcome of the game. [/B]
Its hard for me to have sympathy for this one. Toe on line is violation. Your primary, why didn't you do proventive officiating. Your primary, why didn't you make the violation call? Now having said this, I'm not going to make that call from C. In fact as T, in 2nd half I probably wouldn't make this call either.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes what may appear as a lollygag, may really be something else.
Getting subs in, checking for 6 players on the floor, observing benches, or many, many other things could be going on.
I agree that one should hustle, but sometimes, there is other bizness to tend to.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Getting subs in, checking for 6 players on the floor, observing benches, or many, many other things could be going on.
I agree that one should hustle, but sometimes, there is other bizness to tend to.
Then there should be a hand up., and this is not what we are talking about.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Another!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Then there should be a hand up., and this is not what we are talking about.

Bart,

I agree, if there is other bizness there should be a hand up.

Here is another frustating thing: No bump and run in 2 person. This has happened a lot to me. My fix, when I see this is happening, I immediately run to the spot signalling and telling my partner to go ahead. Saves that full court run.

Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

AAAhhhh, two person. Hhhmmmm, I havn't done two person in years. I feel your pain!
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Somewhat related, my most frustrating moment is when I have my hand up to stop the game from starting, and one of my partners puts the ball in play.

Oh, I almost forgot, he looked right at me, we made eye contact, he saw my hand - THEN he put the ball into play.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 12:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: One of mine too!

Quote:
BITS, you may think I'm making a big deal out of nothing but this is a huge, huge deal. More preventable problems happen simply because the ball gets put in play before the crew is ready, and these are sometimes the types of preventable problems that people remember for years. [/B]
Darn right. I was working 2-person this season with my hand up counting players at the start of a quarter. Partner R doesn't look at me and puts the ball in play. V has 6 on the court. Fortunately, V coach was sheepish and took blame for this, but we all know who was really at fault for the technical we had to call.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Taking time to take care of bizness does not bother me. In fact, I learned a mechanic I really like from one of these same partners. It is to stop at mid-court with one hand raised until all the substitutions are complete, then move off to your next position. I think it looks a lot sharper than beckoning the subs in on my way down court, which is what I used to do. (feel free to roll your eyes at the new guy)

No, it's simply enduring a partner's long, leisurely stroll from back court to the far endline while everybody else is already in position. No subs. Nothing unusual happening. That frustrates me.

But, perhaps I'm missing an opportunity. Perhaps I could use the time to check the team fouls on the scoreboard, check the possession arrow, re-count the players on the floor, or other useful dead-ball officiating activities. Maybe I could even attempt to be sociable and talk to the thrower while we wait. Ahhh, lemonade!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
The flow is already disrupted. It does no one any good if you hurry the ball back in play because you're concerned someone might say or do something stupid. And frankly if you're gonna put the ball in play before I'm ready because you don't think I'm hustling enough I'm gonna blow it dead and we'll do it again.

BITS, you may think I'm making a big deal out of nothing but this is a huge, huge deal. More preventable problems happen simply because the ball gets put in play before the crew is ready, and these are sometimes the types of preventable problems that people remember for years.
Yeah, like letting six players on the floor in a D1 game.

Do I think you're making a big deal out of nothing? No. Did I ever suggest putting the ball in play before my partner was ready? No. I'm still here, in back court, cooling my heels, waiting for my partner to get ready. Then I'll put the ball in play. In the mean time, I'm just getting grumpy.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Darn right. I was working 2-person this season with my hand up counting players at the start of a quarter. Partner R doesn't look at me and puts the ball in play. V has 6 on the court. Fortunately, V coach was sheepish and took blame for this, but we all know who was really at fault for the technical we had to call. [/B]
So why did you call it?

Start of a quarter, innocent mistake. No real advantage. If the officials are "really to blame", seems to me the right thing to do is stop, correct, and move on.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Darn right. I was working 2-person this season with my hand up counting players at the start of a quarter. Partner R doesn't look at me and puts the ball in play. V has 6 on the court. Fortunately, V coach was sheepish and took blame for this, but we all know who was really at fault for the technical we had to call. [/B]

Rich,
Since you had your hand up, why didn't you just blow it back down and get the 6th off the floor? Was there more to this?