View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 07:32pm
Huck Finn

This thread is started out of pure frustration. I had a game last night and I wasn't happy with it. We did not effect the outcome of the game and someone told me "good game" after the game but it didn't matter. I know the crew should have done better. It was like I was officiating and he was doing something else. It was the kind of game where you have to make calls. Calls that will not be popular but calls. It started off bad when he talked to me like I was a rookie because I'm new to the area. I expect that but most of the time the other official is decent at worst. And, the school normally has 3-person. He even asked me "have you ever done a big ballgame?" This is what I'm thinking "first of all this isn't a big ballgame, and have you ever done a big ballgame?" I know every game is big to the kids but for officials the easiest way to screw up is to get caught up with the emotion of the game. This was a non-conference game in December and on paper it was a blowout and in reality it was a blowout! We talked about the trail following the play all the way to the hoop and he didn't agree. See, it's his thinking on this matter that let me know I was in trouble. We had a blarge in this game and I was the only one in the gym that knew it. I was trail of course and I was officiating the defense. I had a whistle without a preliminary and he had a charge. I did say "block" but nobody heard me so I went to the other end of the court. The defender knew he moved in after the player was airborn and he told me so. I had to make the unpopular calls that were the correct calls while he made the obvious calls. To sum it up, my mentors taught me to handle business and I don't think we did a good job as a crew. We weren't consistent and we almost lost control. He didn't interact with the coaches or the players. I even told him at halftime that we almost lost control. He even dressed in the wrong place after the coach told him he should be where I was. He didn't move his stuff! I'm a perfectionist and I wish the assigner could get a copy of this game.