The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

By calling the foul "on the floor" and pointing to the floor, you are telling the crowd that you are a real veteran and have been around a long time--kind of like when the new troops showed up in the Phillipines during WWII and saw the old veterans with the gold teeth necklaces on. OUCH. It is not correct but everyone knows what it means and it just "ain't no big thing".
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Tim...

Do you really think this is something that deserves even recognition? Honestly. I've got bigger problems to worry about (players, coaches, etc.) than to wonder if I used the correct adverb or technical terminology.

Lighten up.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 11:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The thing about many evaluators that drives me crazy is that they will deduct points for SAYING on the floor, but won't touch judgment (was he really "on the floor" or was he in the act of shooting).

Baseball evaluators will do the same thing -- they will never say that your judgment is terrible when calling pitches, but will nitpick about things that don't matter instead.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, this is not really a BIG deal but it is so easy to change. There are no negatives with doing it right while there are some minor negatives with doing it wrong. The only real reason to refuse changing is ego.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Ego?

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Sure, this is not really a BIG deal but it is so easy to change. There are no negatives with doing it right while there are some minor negatives with doing it wrong. The only real reason to refuse changing is ego.
But you still have not convinced me and many others, "what the big deal is." If you say "on the floor" or not, I am trying to understand why this is an issue in the first place? And I am trying to understand what confusion is called by using the term? I usually say "no shot," but I am not confused when someone says "on the floor." To me this is like trying to make an issue out of someone saying, "two-shot bonus" or "super-bonus," most of us knows what thay means. Why get caught up in semantics?

Peace
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
By calling the foul "on the floor" and pointing to the floor, you are telling the crowd that you are a real veteran and have been around a long time--kind of like when the new troops showed up in the Phillipines during WWII and saw the old veterans with the gold teeth necklaces on. OUCH. It is not correct but everyone knows what it means and it just "ain't no big thing".
WWII...damn...but you're right, no one wants to be the NFG!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest problem with the term is that the shooter being "on the floor" actually has no bearing on whether the foul is a shooting foul or not.

He can be "on the floor" and continuous motion can have already started.

That's why the term is inaccurate.

Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I personally don't think it's a really big deal, but I personally will say "on the spot" and not "on the floor" if there's a doubt.

But then, I say "that way!" so what do I know?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Tim,

It is important that communication is strong while officiating. A foul is called and the fist goes up. The coaches are looking at the official as soon as they hear the whistle to see if the official has an open hand or closed fist. If you do not believe it, call a foul and give the open hand violation sign, the coach will eat you up.
It's just like the signal pointing to the floor or shouting "on the floor" give the coach as much information as possible so when you report to the table you are less likely to get any crap from the coach. Everyone in the stands,on the floor, and on the bench know it was a foul before the shot.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I personally don't think it's a really big deal, but I personally will say "on the spot" and not "on the floor" if there's a doubt.

Useta use (wayback)---point at floor and holler "before".

More effective if you hop up and down on one foot while you're doing it. I was a Manny Sokol fan- my all time favorite official.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 23rd, 2003 at 03:33 PM]
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
It's just like the signal pointing to the floor or shouting "on the floor" give the coach as much information as possible . . . Everyone [will] know it was a foul before the shot.
Sigh. Ok, I'll try this for the second time. I know that Tony has already tried a couple times. The problem with your statement Clay, is that "on the floor" does not give the coach "as much information as possible", as you seem to think it does. All it does is say that the player was still touching the floor. As we all know, however, you can be in the act of shooting and still be "on the floor". So saying "on the floor" really doesn't tell anyone whether you are shooting FTs or not.

If you really want everyone to know that the foul was before the shot, then simply say "No shot!" How much simpler could it be? If you don't care about saying "on the floor", then do you also not care about saying "over the back"?

Again, I understand that there are more important things, but I don't see why there's so much resistence to saying what you really mean. . .
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT LEVEL OF GAME YOU ARE REFFING.

IF IT IS HIGH SCHOOL OR LOWER, I THINK ITS A GREAT CALL TO MAKE JUST AS CLAY SPELLS IT OUT SO CLEARLY ON.

IF IT IS HIGHER UP,WHO CARES, THEY DONT SEEM TO CALL THE SIMPLE TRAVEL OR PUSHING CALLS AND WE ARE WORRIED ABOUT SAYING "ON THE FLOOR". PA LEASE LETS KEEP IT SIMPLE FOR ALL.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

WWII...damn...but you're right, no one wants to be the NFG! [/B]
Don't you mean FNG?

I can't believe we are on page 3 of this. If I am wearing a belt with patent leather shoes while wearing a micromesh shirt, can I then say "on the floor" while knowing that my presence will overshadow my slight indescretion?

I never thought it was a big deal. And I never thought the meaning was litteraly, s/he's touching the floor. I take it to mean, we are inbounding instead of shooting 2. I do say it but only when I think there is doubt. If that's the worst ding on my evaluation, I'd say woo-hoo (considering there's so much more I could probably get dinged for).

Mregor

[Edited by Mregor on Dec 23rd, 2003 at 03:47 PM]
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
It's just like the signal pointing to the floor or shouting "on the floor" give the coach as much information as possible . . . Everyone [will] know it was a foul before the shot.
Sigh. Ok, I'll try this for the second time. I know that Tony has already tried a couple times. The problem with your statement Clay, is that "on the floor" does not give the coach "as much information as possible", as you seem to think it does. All it does is say that the player was still touching the floor. As we all know, however, you can be in the act of shooting and still be "on the floor". So saying "on the floor" really doesn't tell anyone whether you are shooting FTs or not.

If you really want everyone to know that the foul was before the shot, then simply say "No shot!" How much simpler could it be? If you don't care about saying "on the floor", then do you also not care about saying "over the back"?

Again, I understand that there are more important things, but I don't see why there's so much resistence to saying what you really mean. . .
Hey Chuck, you telling us you're worried the coach who just finished screaming for "3 SECONDS!" might be misled by you yelling "on the floor"?

But I agree, it's easy enough to say something other than "on the floor" and be undrstood.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Chuck,

I guess I was giving the coach more credit than he deserves. I forget sometimes that coahes are idiots and they would not understand on the floor.