The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Last night, I developed a new respect for those of you who work in the rural parts of this great land, and drive long distances in the dark, in search of a high school or college that needs a ref for the evening. I was sent to a small farming community for a girls varsity game. Was supposed to meet my partner at a certain parking lot so we could drive together, and he knew the way. I got held up, and he left without me (don't blame him at all). So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic, I can tell you for sure. I was so lost and confused. Finally resorted to stopping at every store I came to and asking, "Is this how I get to Gaston?" There were no signs for Gaston anywhere, and no signs to tell what road I was on. Mostly, luck was on my side, and I arrived with six minutes to tip off. Changed during introductions. One hand shake with partner, one each with the coaches, and we were off. Sheez!! I'm glad I don't have to do THAT every evening!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

So how did the game go? Any 'pre-game' on the fly? Strong partner, weak partner? Cell phones by both parties sure come in handy for situations like this, huh?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

is that why joe horn had one stashed, to let the family know he was gonna be late due to all the stopped clocks due to his touchdowns??
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
is that why joe horn had one stashed, to let the family know he was gonna be late due to all the stopped clocks due to his touchdowns??
That or to let him know WHERE he was, since he obviously hadn't been there (the end zone) before, and must have been confused as to where he was!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Last night, I developed a new respect for those of you who work in the rural parts of this great land, and drive long distances in the dark, in search of a high school or college that needs a ref for the evening. I was sent to a small farming community for a girls varsity game. Was supposed to meet my partner at a certain parking lot so we could drive together, and he knew the way. I got held up, and he left without me (don't blame him at all). So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic, I can tell you for sure. I was so lost and confused. Finally resorted to stopping at every store I came to and asking, "Is this how I get to Gaston?" There were no signs for Gaston anywhere, and no signs to tell what road I was on. Mostly, luck was on my side, and I arrived with six minutes to tip off. Changed during introductions. One hand shake with partner, one each with the coaches, and we were off. Sheez!! I'm glad I don't have to do THAT every evening!
What's so hard???

Easy (but longer) way....Take US Highway 26 west from Portland. Turn left on State Highway 47. Takes you straight to Gaston. Turn right on Park Street. You're there!

The first time I went there, I turned the wrong way in town and drove several mile looking for the school before turning around.

I keep my thomas guide in the car at all times...even when I'm going to familiar schools. You never know when an accident will block the familiar path.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Rainmaker,

As the story goes, since you are female at least you stopped and asked for directions. If this had been a male, we would have missed the game just because we knew in the back of our heads we would find the gym without directions.

I had the same type situation happen to me only I knew where the schools was. The problem was I could not remember once I got on the road which high school I was going to,and my schedule was left at home. Went to the school I thought was correct, but the gym was dark and locked. I did however make it to the right high school in time to see my partner throw up the jumpball without me and he worked the game a few min. by himself until I got dressed.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Take US Highway 26 west from Portland. Turn left on State Highway 47. Takes you straight to Gaston. Turn right on Park Street. You're there!

Hey, I know this Highway 26...keep going west and you end up in a cute little resort town by the Pacific Ocean...Seaside, Or.

rainmaker...I'm the curious kind, what could have possibly held you up from getting to the carpool spot on time for a Varsity game!?

RD

Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Take US Highway 26 west from Portland. Turn left on State Highway 47. Takes you straight to Gaston. Turn right on Park Street. You're there!

Hey, I know this Highway 26...keep going west and you end up in a cute little resort town by the Pacific Ocean...Seaside, Or.

rainmaker...I'm the curious kind, what could have possibly held you up from getting to the carpool spot on time for a Varsity game!?

RD
You've got the right 26. Seaside is a nice little town...there are even better ones that are less known.

I can only guess that since this game was at 6:00 and that Juulie lives on the opposite side of Portland that she really had a lot of unpredictable traffic to get through...no good way around from where she lives.

...rant mode on...

Highway 26 west of Portland can turn into a parking lot at anytime of day....2pm, 9pm, Saturday, it doesn't matter. It can sometimes flow smoothly at 5pm on Friday too (not often). Inbound traffic and outbound traffic are equally bad. The road is fully inadequate and should have been expanded 5-10 years ago. The powers that be instead built a billion dollar light rail system that carries 3% of the traffic on a typical day (and not much more at full capacity...if my memory serves me correctly).

...rant mode off...
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I can only guess that since this game was at 6:00 and that Juulie lives on the opposite side of Portland that she really had a lot of unpredictable traffic to get through...no good way around from where she lives.[/B][/QUOTE]

Camron is almost right. I had allowed plenty of time for 26 to be bad, and it was, but what was really bad was 405 onto 26, and that I had not allowed for. At three am on Sunday, the whole thing should take about 15 minutes. I allowed 45, and it took 75. Augh!!

Camron, I should have followed your advice to get to Gaston,but I couldn't remember where the intersection was, and I knew if I went to Banks and turned east, I'd hit 47 for sure, but there were no signs, and I missed it, and ended up in Forest Grove... And I do go to Gaston again, so I'll definitely try it your way!

You're right about the Thomas Guide. From now on, it's CHAINED into the car.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

3 am rainmaker?? Wow you really are dedicated, way to go!!!!
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
3 am rainmaker?? Wow you really are dedicated, way to go!!!!
Or really dissipated?!
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 01:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - I really have no empathy for you, because five days a week I have to buck terrible traffic to get to my office and back.

Man - that 2.9 mile trip from Tigard to Beaverton is a killer. Sometimes, I don't catch the light.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie - I really have no empathy for you, because five days a week I have to buck terrible traffic to get to my office and back.

Man - that 2.9 mile trip from Tigard to Beaverton is a killer. Sometimes, I don't catch the light.
You sound like my wife. She drives 5 miles r/t and I drive 74 r/t and she says, "what's the problem?"
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic,

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, and too lazy to look it up, what is a Thomas Guide?
BTW, geography is not my forte, so it sounds like something I might need.
Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:
. So I drove alone, having forgotten my Thomas Guide at home. My mother was raised out in the country, and she always gets along fine, but it's not genetic,

At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, and too lazy to look it up, what is a Thomas Guide?
BTW, geography is not my forte, so it sounds like something I might need.
Thanks in advance.
Thomas Guides are books of maps for local areas. They are as detailed and accurate as any maps that are available, although there can still be plenty of errors. They have lots of detailed indexes too. I used it extensively when I was running a delivery route in a section of Portland that was all steep hills and ridges. Roads every which way, with no rhyme nor reason. Whole neighborhoods of 10-15 streets, dozens of houses, with only one way in through an unpaved alley. I usually bring the Thomas Guide into the house when I call a school to get directions and then as the secretary speaks, I follow along. They can be a little expensive, Portland area is like $20. But they last for 10 years, for most parts of town, and once you have one you can't figure out how you ever got along withont it.

I think they were originally developed for realtors, who, of course, need detailed accurate maps. At least I know that most realtors use them.